Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenec123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Saratoga, CA
So I was on my iPhone today and I got a message from a random person and I wanted to delete it. So I swiped my finger across the first entry in my Messages folder and hit delete. Then I looked at my screen and saw the same message, still there. Then I realized that I deleted the wrong one. I had deleted the entry for one of my friends who I've been texting for years now. I don't know how to get all our messages back. Is there any possible way? Please tell me there is.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
Don't think so. A device like that doesn't usually have a "Trash" directory like a computer. Once you delete something it is marked as free space.

It's possible you could take it to a data recovery place and have them recover the messages, but that would be expensive.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
if you've backed up your phone via iTunes, all of your messages will still be there as of that point. Hopefully you do it often and wont lose many of the new ones..

Orion126

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
As long as the deleted text hasn't been overwritten by other data you can use Undelete SMS on a jailbroken iPhone. It's not a free program but you should be able to copy/pasta onto your notepad.

Hope that helps!

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
As long as the deleted text hasn't been overwritten by other data you can use Undelete SMS on a jailbroken iPhone. It's not a free program but you should be able to copy/pasta onto your notepad.

Hope that helps!

I paid $7 for that app and it didn't work!
They DO NOT give refunds either :mad:

mtreys

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
College Station, TX
So I was on my iPhone today and I got a message from a random person and I wanted to delete it. So I swiped my finger across the first entry in my Messages folder and hit delete. Then I looked at my screen and saw the same message, still there. Then I realized that I deleted the wrong one. I had deleted the entry for one of my friends who I've been texting for years now. I don't know how to get all our messages back. Is there any possible way? Please tell me there is.

While you won't be able to restore any deleted messages, look for a program that will backup your messages in case you accidentally do this again. I use PhoneView from eCamm...I think that's who made it. It cost me $20 and has been the best app I've bought recently. It will save all of your messages and will allow you to export them to PDF or CSV file. It also saves your call logs and voicemails. It's a wonderful app and one that I absolutely swear by now.

wiliswene

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
It's not a free program but you should be able to copy/pasta onto your notepad.
a17.jpg

sheels

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Dr.Fone

There is a Software named Dr.Fone for iPhone 4 which can recover deleted iPhone text messages. It did a decent job recovering my iPhone 4 SMS without even any iTunes backup. :)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
If you back up to iCloud or iTunes, and have not backed up since you deleted the messages, you can restore the backup and they will come back.

Caveat: You will lose all changes made to the phone since the last backup. Whether this is acceptable is entirely up to you.

Simply "erase all content and settings" and restore from the backup.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
If you back up to iCloud or iTunes, and have not backed up since you deleted the messages, you can restore the backup and they will come back.

Caveat: You will lose all changes made to the phone since the last backup. Whether this is acceptable is entirely up to you.

Simply "erase all content and settings" and restore from the backup.

Exactly.

Folks, SMS text messages are backed up with the iPhone - whether it's locally or to iCloud. If you've already written over the backup that had them (as in, backed up after the delete) then they're gone.

If you still have a backup available from a time where you had the messages on your iPhone, all you have to do is erase the iPhone and restore from that backup. Simple as pie.

In fact, I just went through that recently, and it worked without a problem. Only things I lost were some photos in the camera roll (taken after that backup) but they were up in Photo Stream anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.