Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afousek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
I've got Xcode on my Mac and am going through a couple of the development books. This is a dumb question, but do I need to go ahead and pay for the developer's license while getting up to speed with things? Or, can I just go through the exercises just using Xcode that I already have, then pay the $99 when I'm really ready. Are there other things in the SDK that I would benefit from now?

Is the main benefit of doing it now so that I can place my apps on my own device for testing?

Thanks.

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, the main advantage is to use your device for testing. If you are not using things like the accelerometer or location services, using the simulator should be fine. Also, for just learning from books, the simulator should be fine. When you are ready to create your own apps, then you should become a paid developer.

ViviUO

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
The title of the thread confuses me a little bit.

You can get the most recent live version of the iOS SDK with a free account.

The paid account gets you betas, support, device testing, and the ability to submit apps to the store.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
You cannot test certain features without using a real device, such as:

- Accelerometer*
- Gyroscope
- GPS Data**
- In-App Purchases
- Three/Four/Five finger gestures.
- Bluetooth Peer-to-Peer connections

You also can't get access to betas of unreleased versions of Xcode or iOS.

* The simulator will let you simulate a shake .
** The simulator will generate fake and random coordinates for you, which may or may not allow you to test any features you have that rely on user position.

The simulator can be downloaded with the free developer account.

afousek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
The title of the thread confuses me a little bit.

You can get the most recent live version of the iOS SDK with a free account.

The paid account gets you betas, support, device testing, and the ability to submit apps to the store.

How do I download the iOS SDK with a free account?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
How do I download the iOS SDK with a free account?

http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action

Hit the log in button, scroll to the bottom and there should be a download link.

Edit: Actually, it might have changed since I only used a free account. I think you might be able to go on to the App Store and download Xcode from there, if you're running Lion, and it'll automatically include the iPhone SDK.

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
Xcode 4 in Mac App Store for Lion only

You can get xcode on the mac app store for free but they have only put the Lion version there so won't work for Snow Leopard.

thedollarhunter

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
UK
Is the main benefit of doing it now so that I can place my apps on my own device for testing?

This was the critical thing for me too as I found openGL code ran really slowly on the simulator. Running it on a real device for the first time was like a breath of fresh air!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.