Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, as part of a report detailing a rumored timeframe for iPhone 5 pre-order and launch dates, 9to5Mac included an image of what appears to be an iPhone display assembly production line that had been posted to Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo. The photo was also posted to the forums at Chinese site WeiPhone.com with a different watermark, so it is unclear what the original source of the image is.

iphone_display_assembly_production.jpg

While the image is not of high enough resolution to make definitive statements about the display might look like, the front panels appear very similar to those of the iPhone 4 but may be slightly larger. Suggestions of an elongated home button area have also been made, although it looks to us more like a sticker in the general vicinity of the home button hole due to an irregular shape and an inconsistent appearance from panel to panel presumably due to slight differences in the placement of the sticker.

M.I.C gadget reports that a reply to the original message on Sina Weibo claimed that the picture must have been taken at display manufacturer Wintek's facilities, although it is unclear if that is a specific claim or simply speculation.

It seems impossible to make any definitive statements about whether the display assemblies shown in the photo differ from those used in the iPhone 4, and so we are primarily posting the photo for interest and discussion.

Article Link: Photo of Possible iPhone 5 Display Assembly Production Surfaces

apttap

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5288d)

ouimetnick said:
They look like the workers in Intel's production plants all dressed up like that. Must be a clean room.

I thought they were ninjas, or something.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They look like members of some secreat sect.

Doesn't look like they can have a smoke on the job.

Wait a second, the guy on the right has a nostril showing. I don't want one he's working on; I might get a nose hair under my screen!

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
well if it is true. it looks like larger display and possible elongated home button. only a couple more weeks should tell. the first batch of iPhone 5's should be ending production fairly soon.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5288d)

I thought they were ninjas, or something.

White ninjas. So now we know where that ninja who drove into the Apple store went! It looks like he now has a following.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Also kind of looks like the Galaxy S2 front. I don't think we have any guarantee these are actual apple parts here.
samsung_galaxy_s_2_leak-441x500.jpg

There may be more curvature on the sides where the buttons resides, but it's hard to tell from the picture.

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
Also kind of looks like the Galaxy S2 front. I don't think we have any guarantee these are actual apple parts here. Image

There may be more curvature on the sides where the buttons resides, but it's hard to tell from the picture.

Oh boy.....Apple's gonna get sued by Samsung for stealing the design of the Galaxy S2...

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Wow, I guess this is to avoid dust getting under the glass before they seal it.

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Anyone else find it humorous that the displays they're using are not Apple displays or iMacs?
You'd think that an Apple manufacturer would be required by Apple to be brand-loyal. ;-p
Well whatever the case actually is, we can all be self-deluded and convince ourselves that they're connected to Minis or Pros. :rolleyes:

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Anyone else find it humorous that the displays they're using are not Apple displays or iMacs?
You'd think that an Apple manufacturer would be required by Apple to be brand-loyal. ;-p
Well whatever the case actually is, we can all be self-deluded and convince ourselves that they're connected to Minis or Pros. :rolleyes:

The displays are attached to a microscope, they don't look like computer monitors.

bitWrangler

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007

No, not really. You do realize that Wintek makes lots of stuff for folks other than Apple (not to mention their own labeled products) :rolleyes: ? Given that they're a Chinese company, I'd expect to see Lenovo stuff used in production (or some other Chinese label) vs an American company like Apple.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
This is definite confirmation that Apple is not abandoning the iPhone product line. Few! :D

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
Hard to really tell, butmthey do look bigger than your average iPhone, if they're for an iphone at all. The bezel portion nearest to the camera looks thinner than the bottom, kind of like most of the mockups we've seen.

We shall see.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
From a quick glance it kind of looks like they're all dressed up in rabbit costumes..

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why is everyone surprised by the clean room? What did you expect?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.