Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's somewhat disgusting the way planning comities / local governments pander to Apple.

Reminds me of the recent Cupertino city council meeting. The 'officials' were practically gushing over Steve Jobs and showing off their iPad's - it was cringeworthy.

At least pretend you're a professional...

I guess you're from a large city because you don't seem to have an understanding of how local government works.

If they're like the small governments I'm familiar with, these people all have day-jobs. This means that they go to work, have a quick dinner, and then do THIS job from 7 PM - 10 PM. They definitely don't get paid an amount that makes this something to do 'for the money.'

So, given that, any extra discussion on subjects can be the difference between getting home at 10 PM vs. Midnight. (Which does happen sometimes.)

So IF you're in that situation and IF you've thought about the Pro's-and-cons of this store AND you know how everyone else will vote (and you will know) then what incentive do you have to talk about it more? Remember, they probably HAVE talked about it with each other. The public meeting is the time to hash out your differences. If no one disagrees what should they talk about to fill up the time? Should they make up an argument? Would that make you happy? Fictional theater?

The only reason to drag it out is to waste time. Wasting time pointlessly is more "professional" to you? What profession are YOU in?

Remember, anyone with an issue is free to raise it. If they don't have any it's dumb to just talk about nothing for no reason.

If you're used to big-city politics where your city council is a full-time job then ou might hold them to a different standard. But when they only work 10 hours a week it's dumb to want them to spend any of that time on things that they've already decided on ahead of time.

Last edited:

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
Glass roof with a room full of Glossy Displays.

Is this some idea of a sick joke?

mashima

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
If they considered it, the roof should to be deeply shaded, becose I think a plain transparent wouldn't give the better light to show apple products; by now, LED screens are not so brilliant as the architect think.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Let's see... an abandoned Borders store that is not bringing in any tax revenue or a new Apple store that will bring in tax revenue... hmmmm... what should we do?

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
It's somewhat disgusting the way planning comities / local governments pander to Apple.

Reminds me of the recent Cupertino city council meeting. The 'officials' were practically gushing over Steve Jobs and showing off their iPad's - it was cringeworthy.

At least pretend you're a professional...

You do realize how much money they bring in to the city?

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Wouldn't it be hot inside?? Think greenhouse effect... I mean they will obviously use ACs...but still I don't think that's a good design....coming from Apple I expect more...

What's more...on a sunny day...I wouldn't want to feel like I'm "shopping" for products OUTSIDE...feels very cheap...feels like buying something from an illegal street merchant..

Have you ever BEEN to the 3rd St. Promenade? Shopping (and life) is different when it's sunny and 72 year-round :) Shopping, dining, and living outside is what we do. Trust me, far from "cheap", it is heaven.

(But don't come to Cali - we have too many people and tourists here already ;)

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's a shame, really. That was the location of the last remaining bookstore in the West Los Angeles area. And it was a damn fine bookstore too... 3 stories worth of everything you could ever imagine. There is only one other bookstore left in the ENTIRE Los Angeles region... at The Grove.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
As much as I love Apple products, I wholeheartedly agree with you. What's the purpose of holding a public meeting at all, if the board members aren't going to at least publicly discuss pros and cons of the project?

its a nice looking store that will improve the area, what's to discuss?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Look at the picture. The other roofs are flat and must have hidden drains. The water doesn't overflow down their sides.

So I think he's talking about how the Apple store's curved roof doesn't even appear to have gutters. Of course, that's almost certainly artistic license in that drawing. I highly suspect it does have hidden drains along the edges.

PS. Good thing it's not white painted glass. It'd be delayed for years while they work out the light leak and reflection issues :)

I agree it will be interesting to see how they deal with rain as it cant pour over the front.

Also countering the suns rays may prove difficult and/or costly.

Corbin052198

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Wouldn't it be hot inside?? Think greenhouse effect... I mean they will obviously use ACs...but still I don't think that's a good design....coming from Apple I expect more...

What's more...on a sunny day...I wouldn't want to feel like I'm "shopping" for products OUTSIDE...feels very cheap...feels like buying something from an illegal street merchant..

And how would you see the products? Stupid LCDs reflect all light.

Does this mean that all new Macs will come with anti-reflection glass displays. Just think about all that sunlight and the reflections.

Can you actually read an iPad or iPhone in the sun.

He beat me to it. :mad:

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
what happens during an Earthquake with all that glass? Will the building be on rollers? Will the glass shatter, fall and strike all the customers dead inside? This is LA after all...

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Is anyone else tired of news about Apple Stores? Yeah, I know skip the story, you don't have to comment, etc., but it just seems like there have been tons of Apple Store stories clogging up the front page recently. And they are all the same.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Will the workers have to apply sunscreen every hour or every time after going swimming?

But seriously....

People bitching about the glare on the LCDs.... The sun is high in the sky, the variety of displays are at or below eye level... Reflection of the sun will not occur at that angle. The worst thing that can happen is if they don't tint the glass roof, the LCDs may be over powered in brightness.

And yes... I too was curious about rain drainage, but agree that it is probably the architect's creative licensing not showing water drainage systems in this rendering.

----------

Is anyone else tired of news about Apple Stores? Yeah, I know skip the story, you don't have to comment, etc., but it just seems like there have been tons of Apple Store stories clogging up the front page recently. And they are all the same.

At least it is a change from iPhone/iPad/iPod stories... ;)

I wish we could get some juicy gossip on some MAC related news.

webman2k

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
what happens during an Earthquake with all that glass? Will the building be on rollers? Will the glass shatter, fall and strike all the customers dead inside? This is LA after all...

expl_vis_table.gif

I imagine this will be posted throughout the store...

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
How many birds are gonna fly into this thing? Not to mention **** all over it.

I agree...looks beautiful in a mockup but the reality of every large-window building I've seen is littered with bird poop and even dead birds. It's going to either be daily cleanings or it's going to look bad in between cleanings.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
I agree...looks beautiful in a mockup but the reality of every large-window building I've seen is littered with bird poop and even dead birds. It's going to either be daily cleanings or it's going to look bad in between cleanings.

The glass roof of the atrium in the Covent Garden store in London is always clean. Apple can afford to clean it everyday. They can also afford to spend millions on a temporary store in Manhattan while the SoHo one is refurbed.

They don't cut corners. It will look spectacular and remain so, I'm sure.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re former borders location

r.i.p. borders - 3rd street prom.
knew you well
she was a good book store
no better honor than to have a curved glass aapl store on your resting place

benjs

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Apple has already stated they know how to produce curved glass, so my guess would be curved glass pieces jutting out from slots in the concrete side walls on an angle such that the glass is higher at the front of the building than the back, with drainage holes along the rear wall.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
As much as I love Apple products, I wholeheartedly agree with you. What's the purpose of holding a public meeting at all, if the board members aren't going to at least publicly discuss pros and cons of the project?

What would you have them say? If anyone from the public wanted to comment, they could have. If any council member wanted to comment, they could have.

These are not forum posters, they do not fell compelled to invent questions where none exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.