Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rangtang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Here's a screen cap after using it only for wifi, and picture (not video) capturing today. No calls, no texts, no 3G. Screen brightness is about 60%

I have noticed some fast draining lately, so it was completely discharged of power (to the point of not being able to turn on), left unplugged over night, then plugged in this morning.

I'm considering a factory restore on it to see if that helps at all?

I may have to send my lil IP4 back for a new one. Kinda blah since I haven't had any other issues, except the antennagate one.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.PNG
    IMG_0119.PNG
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,145

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would see a genius about it. I had to have my 6 mo old 3GS replaced due to a freaky battery.

MacKai

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
East Bay Area, CA
Go ahead and try to restore. The battery should not be draining that fast. I get about 10 to over 14 hours of battery life depending on use. Talking, web surfing, and watching videos. If that does not work for you then take it back.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Have you drained the battery to zero a couple times and then recharged it to 100?

I'm definitely not an expert but I think there's a software battery measuring issue that can be fixed/improved by doing that.

GL :)

rangtang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Have you drained the battery to zero a couple times and then recharged it to 100?

I'm definitely not an expert but I think there's a software battery measuring issue that can be fixed/improved by doing that.

GL :)

I have drained it at least a couple of times to the point of the "needs power" screen, letting it sit for a while before juicing it up.

I'm going to try a full restore, and give it a day or two. I don't have an Apple store near me, so I'll probably have to phone in for help if I don't see improvement. Should I jump straight to Apple for this? I purchased through AT&T but figured that might not get me anywhere.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I have drained it at least a couple of times to the point of the "needs power" screen, letting it sit for a while before juicing it up.

I'm going to try a full restore, and give it a day or too. I don't have an Apple store near me, so I'll probably have to phone in for help if I don't see improvement. Should I jump straight to Apple for this? I purchased through AT&T but figured that might not get me anywhere.

Yes, go right to Apple.

NJBlackBerry

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
Mine was draining overnight

while it was powered off. Got it exchanged Sunday a the local Apple store. No questions asked.

Tito Georgie

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
New York
This is what happen when I'm laying down using aim and facebook non stop. :D
I got this iPhone replacement 3 days ago and got same usage with last one when I talk on aim a lot non stop.

anjy8p.jpg

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Those are not even remotely in-line with expected battery longevity.

I was seeing 10 hours usage and 30 hours standby.

RESTORE AS NEW people.

dewdst

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
you guys happen to have skype running in backround same was happening to me. Uninstalled skype......problem gone

rangtang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
I've never had skype installed. Full restore done, we'll see how it lasts now.

boog

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
iPhone 4 problems... help?

I've had my iPhone 4 for not even one month and i tend to use it for facebook a lot of the time. I let it run 100% flat last night and recharged it back to 100% battery life over night. I had my screen brightness on about 30% and sat on facebook for 1hr and 40 mins and its flat already. What's the go with that? I've noticed its been burning through battery quicker and quicker over the last week/week and a half... Also its been getting VERY hot after about 20 mins of use. It gets so damn hot you can near burn your hands on it!

What should i do to improve its battery life and also why is it getting so hot after short periods of time? Thanks

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
Ten hours? Some of these claims are out of control. I never get ten hours unless I listen to music for half of it.

OP, are you listening to music? Is it draining significantly while in sleep mode? Do you get lots of Push email? All these things affect battery life. If you're using it heavily (internet, gaming, maps) 4-5 hours is fine.

OMGbrandon

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Miami, FL
Ten hours? Some of these claims are out of control. I never get ten hours unless I listen to music for half of it.

OP, are you listening to music? Is it draining significantly while in sleep mode? Do you get lots of Push email? All these things affect battery life. If you're using it heavily (internet, gaming, maps) 4-5 hours is fine.

Yeh, I think people inflate it by 3-4 hours usually, unless it's iPod background...

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

True. I'm at 66% right now.

Usage: 2 hours 44 minutes

Standby: 9 hours 7 minutes

Started 8AM this morning and it's 5:30 PM now. Streamed the shuttle landing at lunch-a bit of music and FB-and streaming radio now plus one phone call today so pretty good as far as I'm concerned. :cool:

I have 3g on, wifi off, screen brightness 50% with auto on. Never use bluetooth and have location on but not used maps today.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Here's a screen cap after using it only for wifi, and picture (not video) capturing today. No calls, no texts, no 3G. Screen brightness is about 60%

I have noticed some fast draining lately, so it was completely discharged of power (to the point of not being able to turn on), left unplugged over night, then plugged in this morning.

I may have to send my lil IP4 back for a new one. Kinda blah since I haven't had any other issues, except the antennagate one.

Do you have anything like Skype running in the background? Skype is a HUGE battery hog...

Nevermind.. Didn't realize this question has already been answered.

Last edited:

Emburybrett

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
Do you have anything like Skype running in the background? Skype is a HUGE battery hog...
Nevermind.. Didn't realize this question has already been answered.

Well if any one is still reading this if you have your iPhone jailbroken that will also drain the battery life then if it's not.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

I have some useful tips:

1) Turn off 3G to save battery life
2) If you don't want calls but still data turn on airplane mode then turn wifi on
3) Lower the brightness
4) Double-click the home button and close out all the apps
5) Turn off location services
6) Turn off push mail
7) Set auto-lock to 1 min
8) Restore (last resort)
9) Get your battery replaced or your iPhone (IF EVERYTHING FAILS)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.