Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aj2488

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
I already searched this topic but did not find anything. Does anyone know if there is a way to delete the applications that come stock on the iPhone? Mine is running 2.2.1 and is not jailbroken. Anything would help, thanks.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
I already searched this topic but did not find anything. Does anyone know if there is a way to delete the applications that come stock on the iPhone? Mine is running 2.2.1 and is not jailbroken. Anything would help, thanks.

There is no way to delete them AFAIK. I think you can hide them from your Home screen if you jailbreak, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: you can try this: http://macenstein.com/default/archives/1668
If you jailbreak, i think the app POOF will remove them.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
It is currently not possible and probably never will be. Apple wants people using their standard apps that come on the iPod Touch and iPhone instead of other alternatives like other web browsers and stuff like that.

Aj2488

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
There is no way to delete them AFAIK. I think you can hide them from your Home screen if you jailbreak, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: you can try this: http://macenstein.com/default/archives/1668
If you jailbreak, i think the app POOF will remove them.

The info on that website seemed to work just fine, Thanks macbookairman!

Alexbates, that makes perfect sense.... However some of the apps the phone comes with are completely useless to me and I'm sure other iPhone users feel the same way toward others. You are correct though no matter how bad I wish it were possible to delete them.

Thanks guys! :)

RamonMiRey

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
ssh or use iphone explorer

It is currently not possible and probably never will be. Apple wants people using their standard apps that come on the iPod Touch and iPhone instead of other alternatives like other web browsers and stuff like that.

SSH into the iPhone and delete the folder that stocks are in, or use iphone explorer to do the same. I did and it worked.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
SSH into the iPhone and delete the folder that stocks are in, or use iphone explorer to do the same. I did and it worked.

Thank You, 2 years later.

screenshot20110204at318.png
[

neetielou

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
iphone apps

Well my daughter somehow deleted my stock iphone apps and now I don't know where to find them:mad:! I've lost the weather app (which I used alot) and youtube. If anyone knows how to retrieve them that would be great!

LHurtadoJr

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2011
Well my daughter somehow deleted my stock iphone apps and now I don't know where to find them:mad:! I've lost the weather app (which I used alot) and youtube. If anyone knows how to retrieve them that would be great!

haha LUCKY!:D

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Does Apple has need for control?

Very soberly asking, on the note of the above: Can it be possible that Apple has a somewhat too invading need for control over the product that in fact is sold to the user, and which the user then owns, to speak it out clearly? And: Is this a reasonable practice from Apple?

DolphTX

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Resetting Your Iphone

Have you tried resetting your iphone. Go to "Settings," "General," and at the bottom select "Reset."

If you want to restore your iPhone to factory state, then:

1.Dock iphone on PC and load iTunes.
2.Once iTunes recognizes the phone, select the phone
3.Click the restore button and agree to the prompts. iTunes will download the latest firmware and restore your device.

If you need to restore a specific version of firmware onto your device, rather than click restore, hold shift (PC) or option (MAC) and click restore. This will bring up a browse box where you can select the firmware you wish to program.

Hope This Helped

dvdgremlin

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
the suggestions here dont work

the idea of manually deleting with iexplorer the stock and other apps manually doesnt work. the folders go but the springboard is totally messed up and reports are produced for apple.

POOF doesnt exist now and only hid the icons not deleting the app.

SB Settings if you are JB'd will hide the icons but not delete the apps.

Last edited:

jacob11

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Connect the iPhone to your computer that has iTunes installed. When you connect the iPhone, the computer takes a few minutes to register the connection and open iTunes. The iPhone also syncs with iTunes, so all applications, songs and settings are shown.
View the left side of the iTunes window and locate the list of applications. Locate the stock app you wish to remove. Right-click the icon and select "Delete." Click the "Remove" button on the confirmation screen.
Select "Move to Trash" when you are prompted to permanently remove the application. Once you click this button, the icon is removed from your list. The iPhone syncs with iTunes and the application is removed from the phone as well.
Right-click the iPhone icon on the left side of iTunes. Select the "Eject" menu option. This will safely disconnect the iPhone from the computer.
Remove the USB connector from the computer. View the iPhone and the application should no longer be listed on the iPhone home screen.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Connect the iPhone to your computer that has iTunes installed. When you connect the iPhone, the computer takes a few minutes to register the connection and open iTunes. The iPhone also syncs with iTunes, so all applications, songs and settings are shown.
View the left side of the iTunes window and locate the list of applications. Locate the stock app you wish to remove. Right-click the icon and select "Delete." Click the "Remove" button on the confirmation screen.
Select "Move to Trash" when you are prompted to permanently remove the application. Once you click this button, the icon is removed from your list. The iPhone syncs with iTunes and the application is removed from the phone as well.
Right-click the iPhone icon on the left side of iTunes. Select the "Eject" menu option. This will safely disconnect the iPhone from the computer.
Remove the USB connector from the computer. View the iPhone and the application should no longer be listed on the iPhone home screen.

This only works with applications from the App Store. This topic is about removing the apps that come preinstalled on a brand new device (YouTube, Weather, Stocks, Notes, etc). So far there is no way to remove them that doesn't involve jailbreaking.

jacob11

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
When you jailbreak your phone, you can install an app called poof from cydia. This does not delete your apps but it enables you to hide icons from your home screen, that way you can hide the stock app and it will not bother you anymore.

eschw95458

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
While I don't know of a way to delete them, you can put them in a folder. To create a folder, simply drag one app onto another. Then you can name the folder whatever you wish, like "Useless Apps"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.