Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john5171

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Hi,

I have the latest version of iTunes and I keep backing up my iPhone, but when I check

C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

The folder is empty.

How do I find the IPSW files?

Thanks in advance,

john5171

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
But updating from a fresh IPSW will not preserve my settings, contacts, etc.

How do I create a backup of that to move it to another phone?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Wrong directory. Not sure of the real one, but I know if you look in the advanced section of iTunes settings you can find what's being backed up and possibly where they all reside.

john5171

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
I searched my entire computer for IPSW files and none found. Itunes however, creates backups fine.

Where can I find those iTunes backups of my iPhone and apply them to a new iPhone device?

Thanks,

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Backup files are not saved as .Ipsw files.
That's just the firmware only.
Exactly. Backups are sort of iTunes "library" files that just save certain app information and such. It has nothing to do with IPSW files.

When you restore the new phone, it will ask you to set it up as a new device or restore from a backup.

Restore from backup and you're good.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Backup files are not saved as .Ipsw files.
That's just the firmware only.
Just to add to this answer to help you find the correct folder tree

By default, backups are stored in the following folders:

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Dave

john5171

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Ok, thanks for the advice.

How do I restore when setting up a new phone?
If I click restore in iTunes it says it says that it will revert to factory settings, but when I shift click restore it asks for a IPSW file.

Thanks,

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

If I click restore in iTunes it says it says that it will revert to factory settings, but when I shift click restore it asks for a IPSW file.

Thanks,

It will ask you to setup as new or from backup after the restore is complete. Not before you restore.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008

Thanks,

clicking restore will download the newest available version of the firmware and install it fresh on the phone.
clicking update will do the same, but (in most cases, depending on which firmware it is) will retain all the data on the phone
shift clicking restore is a bit more of an advanced feature (for people like geniuses, devs, and jail breakers)...it allows you to personally select which software bundle (.ipsw) you want the phone to use to update and restore

however, after either restore method, the iPhone has to be set up again in iTunes. When doing this process, one of the questions you are asked is wether you would like to set the phone up as new, or restore from a backup. If restoring from a backup, you will be presented with a drop down box of every backup you have on your computer (for any iOS device, so you could put an iPod touch backup on an iPhone, for example) in a list with dates, with the most recent one defaultly selected. You can choose which backup to use, and then let iTunes work its magic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.