Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmx08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
i remember my 3G iPod would continue playback even without anything connected

today, i got my 2G mini 6GB and I noticed that whenever the ear phone plug is unplug, the mini will go to Pause mode. this happends on all the earphones i have.

I did not read anything about this feature.
Unless, I got a Lime ( because mine is Green, not yellow as Lemon)

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Yah, coincidentally I noticed this feature only today morning on my 1 month old shuffle. And when I read the title of your post, I knew you were talking about this :D

cheers

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Yes, I remember a friend with a 4G told me about this some time ago...

...still not a feature on my 1G mini (running 1.3), though... :(

This would probably be a software feature so maybe in the next firmware update we will see this.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
killuminati said:
This would probably be a software feature so maybe in the next firmware update we will see this.

There are lots of software updates they could make to older iPods, but they generally choose not to once a new model is out... I actually doubt this feature will appear on older models. Which is a shame, because it's damn cool...

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
paulwhannel said:
There are lots of software updates they could make to older iPods, but they generally choose not to once a new model is out... I actually doubt this feature will appear on older models. Which is a shame, because it's damn cool...

If apple doesnt do that so that people buy the new models, thats not so smart. People wouldn't buy a new ipod just for small features like that. But if apple kept adding new features in the firmware updates it would keep their customers happy and make them want to buy a new ipod when theres gets old.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
killuminati said:

I think it's probably more than just software. The signals headed to the phones is analog so there has to be some analog circuitry that detects the open circuit when the phones are pulled. I doubt earlier iPods have this circuitry. Of course I'm probably wrong.

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
atszyman said:
I think it's probably more than just software. The signals headed to the phones is analog so there has to be some analog circuitry that detects the open circuit when the phones are pulled. I doubt earlier iPods have this circuitry. Of course I'm probably wrong.

I think that the jack in at least the 1G minis can detect the phones, because when I plug my headphones in my mini turns on automatically.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
cmx08 said:
i remember my 3G iPod would continue playback even without anything connected

today, i got my 2G mini 6GB and I noticed that whenever the ear phone plug is unplug, the mini will go to Pause mode. this happends on all the earphones i have.

I did not read anything about this feature.
Unless, I got a Lime ( because mine is Green, not yellow as Lemon)
I just got a 4gb blue mini last week and I've noticed the same thing. At first I thought the iPod was defective because I hadn't noticed the plug pulled out (it barely pulled out of the socket, but enough for it to trigger the sensor.)

I actually find this feature annoying. Since getting the iPod, it has twice stopped playing when my heaphone plug moved out a smidget. Then again, I am using my own pair of headphones, so that may have something to do with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.