Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SWN32720

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
I'm having the same issue myself... 3G with same specs. If someone learns of a fix before Apple releases something or if you have any other info, please let me know. Thanks very much.

timbuctoo23

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011

Me too. I was wondering whether it was a cunning ploy to make everyone upgrade to iphone 4, but if Apple say they're fixing it... well, we shall see I suppose. Just irritating in the mean time. :cool:

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
Certainly sounds like just a 3G thing.
Check it on my one earlier and got the same. 3GS fine.

Fingers crossed iTunes team sorts that out.

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
Certainly sounds like just a 3G thing.
Check it on my one earlier and got the same. 3GS fine.

Fingers crossed iTunes team sorts that out.

That's what I was afraid of. Not so hopeful that Apple will bother with correcting it then. I've been using Apple products for 20 years now, and they don't have a positive track record when it comes to legacy hardware support. I've got a closet full of legacy proof. :(

patriots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I was told by apple they are currently working on a fix. I am not convinced though that they will correct it anytime soon.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Same thing here. I have an old 3G that I use as a touch, and since 8/19/11 I can't download podcasts on it. There's nothing there. No links. Nada.
iPhone 4 is fine.

Weird.

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
Yay!!!

Just checked and mine is now working again. Downloading podcasts on my 3G as I type this. Have to say that I'm surprised they fixed it, but sure glad they did. I use it when traveling and am leaving Sunday. :D

patriots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Just checked and mine is now working again. Downloading podcasts on my 3G as I type this. Have to say that I'm surprised they fixed it, but sure glad they did. I use it when traveling and am leaving Sunday. :D

I still can't. Trying right now and nothing.... Did yu do a restart or anything?

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
I still can't. Trying right now and nothing.... Did yu do a restart or anything?

Oh! So Apple didn't fix it then. Ok... here's what I did. Hooked up the 3G to the laptop, downloaded the podcasts I wanted, but noticed that some old podcasts that I'd long since deleted off the 3G were still showing up via iTunes on the 3G. I selected all the half dozen or so old podcast that shouldn't be there and don't show up on the 3G via iTunes on the 3G, and then deleted them via iTunes on my laptop. I then transferred the podcasts I wanted to listen to over to my 3G, resynced, and restarted. And now voila, I can go to iTunes on the 3G and download podcasts again.

Give that a try and let me know if you have the same good luck.

patriots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Oh! So Apple didn't fix it then. Ok... here's what I did. Hooked up the 3G to the laptop, downloaded the podcasts I wanted, but noticed that some old podcasts that I'd long since deleted off the 3G were still showing up via iTunes on the 3G. I selected all the half dozen or so old podcast that shouldn't be there and don't show up on the 3G via iTunes on the 3G, and then deleted them via iTunes on my laptop. I then transferred the podcasts I wanted to listen to over to my 3G, resynced, and restarted. And now voila, I can go to iTunes on the 3G and download podcasts again.

Give that a try and let me know if you have the same good luck.

Nope, still not working. Ugh I am starting to HATE apple.

timbuctoo23

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
I've tried hard reset, syncing several times, deleting all podcasts and still nothing working for me either. I wonder if they are actually working on fixing it. Can only assume that Apple don't care about people who don't immediately buy the newest model when it comes out.

Kubasik

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
I'm glad that I'm not the only person with this problem. I listen to podcasts more than I watch TV now and to have this facility down leaves a big hole in my day.

What I found unusual is that it's only affecting some podcast shows.... For instance I can still download the Marc Maron, The Hollywood Saloon and The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith podcasts and not download the more popular shows.... Is this happening to anyone else?

Also, on a side note, it takes my 3G several hours to sync up with my laptop... Am I doing something wrong or is this another "motivator" by apple to purchase the latest products?

patriots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I'm glad that I'm not the only person with this problem. I listen to podcasts more than I watch TV now and to have this facility down leaves a big hole in my day.

What I found unusual is that it's only affecting some podcast shows.... For instance I can still download the Marc Maron, The Hollywood Saloon and The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith podcasts and not download the more popular shows.... Is this happening to anyone else?

Also, on a side note, it takes my 3G several hours to sync up with my laptop... Am I doing something wrong or is this another "motivator" by apple to purchase the latest products?

If it is a motivator, it won't work. My contract is up soon, and I will most likely be getting a droid.

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
Nope, still not working. Ugh I am starting to HATE apple.

Hmmm... I feel your pain. My problem was exactly the same as your's and other's here. The other thing I did is delete some old podcasts via iTunes on my laptop as well. If I think if anything else I did, I'll post it.

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
Your post had me wondering if EVERYTHING was fixed on mine. It is NOT. Just discovered that the Radiolab podcast is still not showing any podcasts for download.

This I think might be good news. At first, it was just the Who Charted podcast that had the problem. Then later that day ALL of them had the problem. Now, they've mostly come back except for Radiolab. That suggests that the Apple servers are being updated with some change that fixes the problem and that perhaps they just haven't updated the servers with your particular podcast yet?

I too listen to podcasts more than anything else... especially when I'm traveling. More than music now. I guess I must be getting old. ;-)

Last edited:

Kubasik

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Your post had me wondering if EVERYTHING was fixed on mine. It is NOT. Just discovered that the Radiolab podcast is still not showing any podcasts for download.

This I think might be good news. At first, it was just the Who Charted podcast that had the problem. Then later that day ALL of them had the problem. Now, they've mostly come back except for Radiolab. That suggests that the Apple servers are being updated with some change that fixes the problem and that perhaps they just haven't updated the servers with your particular podcast yet?

I too listen to podcasts more than anything else... especially when I'm traveling. More than music now. I guess I must be getting old. ;-)

Thanks for the update. It might be a server change so the shows could come back up for us.. I checked on an iPhone 4 some of the podcasts that were missing for me and there they were. I'm just afraid that this is the beginning of the end of listening to podcasts on 3G, hope I'm wrong. And would be very annoyed with apple if they did do this.

I'll post as soon as I notice a change: if they come back online or if more podcasts begin to vanish.

andywhitenz

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Having the same problem

I'm having this exact problem on my (very old) 1st gen ipod touch. Has anyone actually figured out what the problem is, or how to fix it?

Namman

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
I am in the same boat, have been for a week. iPhone 3G 4.2.1

Drive two hours a day + and am running out material and getting tired of all SYSK all morning and afternoon on my drive.

6077834931_f507b5bcbb_o.png
6078375406_51f67350fb_o.png
6077835193_243316330d_o.png

stanflan3

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Solution!

I had exactly the same problem, and found the embarrassingly simple solution: JUST SCROLL DOWN.

Last edited:

patriots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Just scroll down and they are there. But I tried this when this problem first began and it did not work. I also tried it several more times after. It just started working today.

Kubasik

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
I had exactly the same problem, and found the embarrassingly simple solution: JUST SCROLL DOWN.

Embarrassing is the word.... Although I'm pretty sure I tried that before (almost sure)... Thanks for the update though and it's great to be able to download podcasts again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.