Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audiman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Hello,

I know ATT uses sim cards that tie's your phone number to what phone its inserted into.

I have a 3gs and also have a older 3g iphone. I noticed I can swap the sim card for each phone and my number will work on each phone.

What I am wondering is, a friend of mine has a cheap slide LG phone from ATT. I know I can put the sim card from that into one of the iphones and it will work. I dont think he has a data plan so as long as he turns off his data feature on the iphone will it work fine on the new phone? Also will ATT get upset if he keeps the phone like that?

I figured he could use it as a glorified ipod with texting and phone and use the data when ever he's connected to wifi.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thx

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
As soon as the phone/SIM card is connected to the AT&T network, they will recognize it as an iPhone and add a data plan without notice.

audiman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Yea,

In all honesty the cheaper 15 dollar plan isnt really that much more so it wouldnt be a big deal. As long as the person made sure to use wifi mostly.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
AT&T can detect when iPhones are on their network and if they find one without a data plan, the owner will be contacted.
If the owner persists on using the iPhone, a data plan will automatically be added to their contract.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
In most cases, a data plan will automatically be added (pretty much 9/10 times). Just throw in the SIM and see what happens, but if they add a plan, it shouldn't be too surprising.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
Try putting a data block on the LG's line before swapping. It will at least delay the data plan being added once you swap to the iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.