Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

retailsails_sf_sales_rankings.jpg

RetailSails compiles (via 9to5Mac) a list of the top 20 U.S. retail store chains, revealing that Apple easily leads the pack with sales of well over $5,000 per square foot. Second-place Tiffany & Co. came in well behind at under $3,000 per square foot.
It's not surprising Apple leads the pack, as there have been numerous articles such as this, but it is quite shocking by how far ahead of the competition they are, especially considering the company only has 10 years of retail experience.
RetailSails' report analyzed over 160 U.S.-based retail companies, reporting sales information and calculated sales per square foot on a global basis.

Some of Apple's flagship locations understandably generate sales significantly above the average, with performance at the company's Fifth Avenue store in Manhattan being pegged at approximately $35,000 per square foot several years ago.

Article Link: Apple Tops U.S. Retail Chains in Sales Per Square Foot

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
This is likely due to Apple's *very* strategic store location planning. They're very careful to not water down their brand by putting stores on every corner a la Radio Shack. Plus, they generally only put them in upscale shopping areas.

Pair that with the fact that people love buying their Apple products in a brick & mortar store, and it's an instant win!

They deserve it, really. Nobody thought their stores would survive, and look at them now. Their stores are what really allowed them to survive and do so well over the last decade. I credit them to really "saving" the company.

wol

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
Makes me wonder where the Microsoft retail stores end up in sales per square foot... ;)

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I would have figured as much. An Apple store looks like a swank nightclub with a waiting list vs the stores that surround it (usually something like VS).

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Could the average cost of Apple products vs. the average cost of products at other stores also be part of this (meaning Apple has more expensive products)?

I think so.

ddbabq

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wonder if this is just brick-and-mortar sales, or if it includes Internet, education sales, etc, as well?

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
When every other store in the mall looks half-dead, the Apple Store is lit up and full of people. Even though most of the customers are just fooling around, enough of them must be buying stuff.

Nickraphael

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would have to disagree, there are some hot dog stands on 5th that would contend for that title

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Given that it excludes online sales this is pretty impressive.

Even though we have three Apple Stores in town, I never bought anything in the store - I always order online (and so do most of my friends here).

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
When I look at Tiffany's products, I think how much flash storage I could buy with the same amount or a fully loaded Mac Pro before they are discontinued from the product line as we know it.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Disruptive

I am reading a book called 'Disrupt!' about businesses that thought outside the box, the Apple retail store is listed as one of the examples. Apparently, Apple observed that users like not only to look at a product, but interact with it: Touch it, feel it, as if it is their own. All Apple sales reps are trained not to hassle customers, be responsive but not to be over the customer's shoulder as they are shopping (have you been to a furniture store recently? Jesus!)

Apple sells an experience in their store, and they make it so easy for you to wip the plastic out and any t-shirt wearing sales rep can instantly do the checkout for you. No need to drag all the stuff and go to the 'checkout line'

ThePest

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
Really? This is something to report on? It must be a slow rumor day, because this is one of the silliest things I've seen on macrumors. I would much rather have another mock of a mock up of a mock up with a watermark that says this is a mock up.

ha.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wonder if this is just brick-and-mortar sales, or if it includes Internet, education sales, etc, as well?

click on the linked article - it has all the details:

Results exclude e-commerce, catalog, franchise, licensed, wholesale, membership and financial services revenue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.