Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

imac.jpg

Apple today released iMac Graphic FW Update 3.0, a new firmware update to address issues which could cause users' machines to freeze up.
About iMac Graphic FW Update 3.0

This firmware update fixes a graphics issue that may cause an iMac to hang under certain conditions.

Do not shut off the power on your iMac during this update. Loss of power could result in your iMac failing to start up.
The update weighs in at 482 KB and requires OS X Lion. Apple does not specify exactly which iMac models require the update, so users should run Software Update to see if the download appears for their specific machines.

Discussion forums on Apple's site and elsewhere have been filling with numerous reports of freezing issues on iMac models under OS X Lion. It is unclear if this update is designed to target the exact issues being reported in those complaints, but it seems reasonable to speculate that Apple is indeed looking to solve at least some of those problems.

Article Link: Apple Releases iMac Graphics Firmware Update to Address Freezing Issues

MiWall81

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2011
Mine froze up once, it was horrible... But thanks goodness I woke up from that horrific nightmare...!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have a 24" iMac. First generation aluminum 2.8GHz with Radeon 2600HD. Those machines had major graphics card freezing issues that were addressed by 2 firmware updates. Anytime I woke my machine from sleep I would see the last screensaver image and a cursor but couldn't get back to the desktop. Other times it would just freeze up. Only way out of it was to hard boot it by holding down the power button to shut down and then reboot it.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
My 27" i7 2011 iMac has been freezing up constantly! Hopefully this will fix the issue. :(

Update: Tried to run it and got: "This software is not supported on your system." What the...??? :( :( :(

Ximie

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
finally!!

Mine froze about 6 times in the last 3 weeks.

(And only only one before that in the last 2 years)

kathyk

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
mine freezes

mine freezes every time i run sling media - for my sling box which allows me to watch what's on my tv, on my computer, anywhere. hope the update fixes things.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
I have a 24" iMac. First generation aluminum 2.8GHz with Radeon 2600HD. Those machines had major graphics card freezing issues that were addressed by 2 firmware updates. Anytime I woke my machine from sleep I would see the last screensaver image and a cursor but couldn't get back to the desktop. Other times it would just freeze up. Only way out of it was to hard boot it by holding down the power button to shut down and then reboot it.

oh god i hear ya. i remember i bought the first aluminum imac 24" in august 2007, it had tiger back then. then leopard came out, and EVERY goddamn animation would just freeze the machine. mouse not moving, nothing. and by animation i mean anything, even minimizing or opening a stack folder in dock, or the dock magnifier. it had to be hard resetted. after 2 weeks they released the firmware update and it works well till this day (4 years).

rjc101

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
From the installer script, this only applies only to iMac Model ID "iMac12,1" which I think is the current 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011) ?

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

We need EFI 1.8 for mid-'09 MBPs to address a big cockup with SATA II.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
I have a 24" iMac. First generation aluminum 2.8GHz with Radeon 2600HD. Those machines had major graphics card freezing issues that were addressed by 2 firmware updates.

So it looks like the major issues aren't limited to the NVidia cards. How very sad. I've had such a bad time with my MBP NVidia card that I've been thinking of just getting a new Radeon Mac, even though the issues have been fixed. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. Not sure if there is anywhere better to go now, though.

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

We need EFI 1.8 for mid-'09 MBPs to address a big cockup with SATA II.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Many of my applications are sometimes not responding since Lion such as Safari and Mail specifically and I have to Force Quit. I don't recall the iMac itself freezing up but apps sure like to.

Mid 2010 iMac 27" - Core i5

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
oh god i hear ya. i remember i bought the first aluminum imac 24" in august 2007, it had tiger back then. then leopard came out, and EVERY goddamn animation would just freeze the machine. mouse not moving, nothing. and by animation i mean anything, even minimizing or opening a stack folder in dock, or the dock magnifier. it had to be hard resetted. after 2 weeks they released the firmware update and it works well till this day (4 years).

The iMac 24" 2008 8,1 is constantly freezing since 10.6.3. Look at this topic. The only fix is replace the new kext with the old 10.6.2 kext as mentioned in the topic (54pages). Apple still hasn't fixed the problem after 1+ year :mad:

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Mid 2011 iMac 27" i7 AMD Radeon HD 6970M video.

No Freezing (to date).

Update doesn't show up, doesn't seem to be for this configuration. I guess I'm okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.