Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
There have been closed caption plugins for FCP Classic, but for a video like this, you simply use the text tool.
Watch out for positioning and timing.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Subtitle support is atrocious on a mac. I use avidemux2 to extract (perhaps the only OCR available), Jubler or TextEdit to edit them, and Submerge to put them back. I usually end up burning them in, since once you edit the video there's no hope of lining things up again.

There should be a way of converting .srt files to captions, and exporting those to VobSub or whatever.

evolute8

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Subtitle support is atrocious on a mac. I use avidemux2 to extract (perhaps the only OCR available), Jubler or TextEdit to edit them, and Submerge to put them back. I usually end up burning them in, since once you edit the video there's no hope of lining things up again.

There should be a way of converting .srt files to captions, and exporting those to VobSub or whatever.

yup, i don't mind burning them in..it's a school project anyway

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
If you burn them in in any way, I simply would use the text tool.

.srt only make sense if you want to give the viewer a choice to turn them on or off, or to choose a different language.

...and those .srt can be a PITA

evolute8

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
If you burn them in in any way, I simply would use the text tool.

.srt only make sense if you want to give the viewer a choice to turn them on or off, or to choose a different language.

...and those .srt can be a PITA

Can I put in the text in certain tine slots of the video?
Something like .srt where there's a start and end to each sentence for subtitles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.