Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
Of course some people will bring it up in inappropriate or immature ways but the fact that he is gay is not totally unremarkable. I think it is very cool that an openly gay man has earned the CEO position of one of the most powerful companies on the planet, can you imagine that happening even 20 years ago?

No doubt a man of his age has dealt with adversity, the fact that he brushed that &$#$ off and went on to achieve what he has speaks strongly to his character.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Too bad they couldn't do it last week. Would be interesting to see if HP leaving the computer business is more or less important than Jobs morphing from CEO to director of the board (and honestly, the former is more important).

I think the only thing that could have eclipsed this news in the tech journalism world is if Jobs had passed, honestly. And it's hard to fault them for that. The largest company in the world in terms of market cap frequently has its success directly equated with its current CEO staying healthy and continuing to stay in that role. On top of all of the hero-worship that surrounds the guy, none of it surprises me.

Pro31

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
and all the self righteous people coming out of the wood work for the gay comment LOL

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Eh, so what if someone mentions he is gay. It wasn't done in a demeaning way so the statement should matter just as much as the fact that he is gay.

As a gay man myself, I was not offended by that comment or felt it was demeaning in any way, I just feel like sometimes the gay title doesn't apply. I do agree that it is noteworthy of his achievement and should be an inspiration and I'm not trying to downplay his role.

But I don't watch Anderson Cooper because he is a great gay reporter, I just watch him because he is a great reporter. So I am sure that Tim Cook doesn't want to be known as the Gay CEO of Apple, but just a CEO of Apple.

That is all that I mean by my comment and why I felt it was irrelevant.

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat
Too bad they couldn't do it last week. Would be interesting to see if HP leaving the computer business is more or less important than Jobs morphing from CEO to chairman of the board (and honestly, the former is more important).

Judging it purely on media coverage and posts it seems that actually Steve Jobs is the more newsworthy. HP-meh.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
As a gay man myself, I was not offended by that comment or felt it was demeaning in any way, i just feel like sometimes the gay title doesn't apply. I do agree that it is noteworthy of his achievement and should be an inspiration and I'm not trying to downplay his role.

I don't watch Anderson Cooper because he is a great gay reporter, I just watch him because he is a great reporter. So I am sure that Tim Cook doesn't want to be known as the Gay CEO of Apple, but just a CEO of Apple.

Your candid comments are very much appreciated.

And I had no idea Cooper is gay, but that doesn't really change anything, nor should it.

Tim will do great. I have no doubt about that. Doesn't matter which way he swings.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I agree, almost completely. It should not be notable, in the best of all possible worlds.

Unfortunately, we still live in a homophobic world. Noting that a gay man is capable of leading a major corporation is news for some - those who somehow consider gays, or african americans, or other minorities lesser beings of somehow diminished competence.

When Obama was elected (no matter what one thinks of him) is was notable that he was the first person of color to be elected to the office. Once again, in a better world, it should not matter. In our world of prejudice - it is notable.

I do, again, agree it should be a non-issue. I look forward to the time when it is truly irrelevant.

Great post. Said with much more eloquence than mine haha.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
people say he is less visionary and more the pragmatic operations guy. I hope that translates in Apple making more enterprise friendly solutions and in Apple making more productivity focussed software and hardware and less toys

e.g Please Tim: I want a real stylus on my iPad! Not that wide soft tip stuff that you can already buy!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Of cause nothing will change.

Look at this link.
http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/

You should notice 2 things.

1. A new position was created.
Chairman of the Board - For Steve Jobs.

2. A position was removed from Apple or has no one filling it now.
Chief Operating Officer - Formerly held by Tim Cook.

Number 1 is obvious.
Number 2 makes me think Cook was pretty much the CEO in everything bar title for a while now. He just is not getting the title for it. So this change really to me is more a formality then anything else. Cook was running the show before and he will keep running it.

All the investors are just getting worked up over nothing. And that's why Apple stock is known as being pretty volatile.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
with Jobs still being Chairman, who is to say they won't tag him for Keynotes?

And agreed on the gay thing... I had no idea, and really it doesn't even matter... It wouldn't, and shouldn't, have been noteworthy if he was straight? or black? or canadian? would it? so I don't know why it matters if he's gay... the sooner everyone let's go of that, the sooner it becomes a non-issue.

It matters because you'd (maybe not you, but people) think of him as non-gay if you didnt know. by knowing we open our minds and make them less square.

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Why no Wonka?

Don''t get me wrong here, I'm sure Tim Cook will be absolutely Ace and Awesome at his job, but why oh why did Steve Jobs not find his replacement like what Willy Wonka did?

We could all have been in the running if he had planned things that way, heck, he could even have made a special Golden Ticket App where whoever solved all the Apple related puzzles first would win the position.

Anyway, all the best to Tim.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
These comments make me feel a lot better.

But I think that Cook's been running things for a while now, and that this is really just a formality. Steve can now officially step back and worry about his health while still directing overall product strategy now and then. Leaving Cook with the title to the responsibilities I think he's had for a while.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
people say he is less visionary and more the pragmatic operations guy. I hope that translates in Apple making more enterprise friendly solutions and in Apple making more productivity focussed software and hardware and less toys

e.g Please Tim: I want a real stylus on my iPad! Not that wide soft tip stuff that you can already buy!

I don't mean to single out your post but I just don't get this line of thinking. Apple was hardly a company run by one before today nor will it be after. Why would Cook change anything? Apple has pretty much been firing on all cylinders for years now. THey have a strategy and they are executing it, regardless who sits in the corner office.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Tim's been running the show for quite a while now. He'll do fine.

He's got the most talented group in tech on his team.

The only concern is the possible lack of this:

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/2...les-vic-gundotra-on-a-sunday-about-this-icon/

Steve Jobs' ferocious attention to detail, no-holds-barred leadership, and unyielding vision (vision despite criticism, vision despite the ignorance of the industry) has to continue. He combined a**hole + talent in an amazing way. I hope that sort hungriness and demanding style of leadership persists at Apple.

Apple is successful because the company sticks to a vision. Apple goes their own way. No focus groups, no consulting the public (eve if it does happen it's kept to a stark minimum.) Just giving consumers what Apple decides they want, and then - PRESTO - Consumers demand more of it.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I think the only thing that could have eclipsed this news in the tech journalism world is if Jobs had passed, honestly. And it's hard to fault them for that. The largest company in the world in terms of market cap frequently has its success directly equated with its current CEO staying healthy and continuing to stay in that role. On top of all of the hero-worship that surrounds the guy, none of it surprises me.

Nah, I think if Jobs revealed himself to be an alien would be the most talked about.

As a gay man myself, I was not offended by that comment or felt it was demeaning in any way, I just feel like sometimes the gay title doesn't apply. I do agree that it is noteworthy of his achievement and should be an inspiration and I'm not trying to downplay his role.

But I don't watch Anderson Cooper because he is a great gay reporter, I just watch him because he is a great reporter. So I am sure that Tim Cook doesn't want to be known as the Gay CEO of Apple, but just a CEO of Apple.

Oh I understand (sorry if I implied that you were taking offense...that was not my intent). I was just stating my opinion, like you.

Judging it purely on media coverage and posts it seems that actually Steve Jobs is the more newsworthy. HP-meh.

Unfortunately, in this day and age newsworthy is not an accurate indication of importance. Balloonboy, anyone?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
No it shouldn't be a milestone. It should be the norm. A complete non issue. I had no idea he was and frankly I don't care. No need to be mentioned.

I agree. Live and let live. I could care less what your sexual preference is or what you do in your bedroom. As long as you are a good law abiding, tax paying citizen then your fine by me.

The only concern is the possible lack of this:

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/2...les-vic-gundotra-on-a-sunday-about-this-icon/

Steve Jobs' ferocious attention to detail, no-holds-barred leadership, and unyielding vision (vision despite criticism, vision despite the ignorance of the industry) has to continue. He combined a**hole + talent in an amazing way. I hope that sort hungriness and demanding style of leadership persists at Apple.

All that tells me is that he will be easier to work for then Jobs. Just because a boss is easier to work for doesn't mean the results won't be as good. Sometimes people are more willing to take chances for the better if they aren't afraid the man looking over their shoulder is ready to fire them at any given second.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Of cause nothing will change.

Look at this link.
http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/

You should notice 2 things.

1. A new position was created.
Chairman of the Board - For Steve Jobs.

2. A position was removed from Apple or has no one filling it now.
Chief Operating Officer - Formerly held by Tim Cook.

Number 1 is obvious.
Number 2 makes me think Cook was pretty much the CEO in everything bar title for a while now. He just is not getting the title for it. So this change really to me is more a formality then anything else. Cook was running the show before and he will keep running it.

All the investors are just getting worked up over nothing. And that's why Apple stock is known as being pretty volatile.

In a sense you are right, it is pretty much business-as-some-months-ago. What has changed, however, is that Jobs is not coming back. This, i and others, read as Jobs (sad as it may be) doesnt have that much longer to live. Will he play a part for as long as he can? Im sure he will, as long as he wants to. Will that be for long? I seriously doubt it. (Lets hope that i am wrong).

This is why stock dropped, despite "no news". No Jobs, no Jobs visionry. Plain and simple.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Now the most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley.

EDIT: Certainly, Mr. Cook’s private life is his own, but it seems that many would believe that a gay man becoming the head of the second most valuable company in the world a major milestone in human history.

An even bigger milestone would be when no one bothers to remark on such irrelevant and trivial things.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Great, everything is now going to be Pink :rolleyes:

I jest of course. :p

Whether you close with "I jest", it is still a poor stereotype to toss out. I think his orientation is certainly fair game for discussion, if only for another role model and example to troubled gay teens that they're not "alone". The more we come to realize that we are surrounded by normal, contributing members of society that are gay, the more accepted and less shunned these youth will feel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.