Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just got an Apple TV 2. I use it with my iMac.

I'm all updated on my iMac and Apple TV 2 as of today. If I put my iMac to sleep, then select computers>my library, it wakes my iMac fine but seems to take a while to connect, spinny wheel.

I pressed menu after a maybe 40secs, connected again and it was instant showed the list, as if it hung and then when I quitted, connected again it seemed to be fine.

Is this normal? Is it slow to wake Macs up, then load library on it? What's the "normal" load time for it?

The Apple TV is wireless to Airport extreme which is wired to iMac, where my iTunes library is held on a NAS wired to Airport extreme.

The wireless is N and shows on Apple TV as full strength.

Cheers

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Still happening, been messing about but just says "no movies in library" toggle home Sharing on/off in Apple TV and it works perfect.

Whats up?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK

Just me with bother on Apple TV 2 then?

Anything I can check/do/try. My iPhone 4 in same place connects via Home Sharing everytime.

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
The easy solution is to NOT sleep your iTunes serving computer. It takes TIME to come out of sleep. If you sleep it, and ATV doesn't see anything there fast enough because the computer is still waking up, it will say nothing is there.

You have only two option, continue as you have been disconnecting home share on the ATV2 when you want to use it, OR stop sleeping the computer.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK

Thanks I will try this then, suppose I could display the sleep only.

I disagree with this is only option inhave though, at least maybe for now. But Apple surely should be looking at this problem as it seems widespread.

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI

Thanks I will try this then, suppose I could display the sleep only.

I disagree with this is only option inhave though, at least maybe for now. But Apple surely should be looking at this problem as it seems widespread.

Taking time to wake from sleep is a how it works, there is no way around hardware and the OS taking time to wake. Its a function of the system, there is no truly instant on system even the macbook airs that are instant on are really instant. The system still has to load itself back into active memory.

Now the only way around this would be to adjust the ATV by adding a delay between sending the request to the server and when it will actually display info, or by adding a built in refresh to they again. But a wake up delay can take up to a full minute, people would WHINE about it. Apple has no way of controlling everyone's computer hardware to ensure they have instant wake PCs, many people have older computers that will NEVER wake instantly, because it is physically impossible.

Maybe in a few years will NEW computers be able to instantly wake from sleep, but any system from before then will not have the ability. To add this 'feature' into the appleTV would force apple into requiring all it users to buy NEW pcs and apple won't do that.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK

I understand it might be a wake issue but this still doesnt explain how my iPad and iPhone list home sharing stuff fine.

They would still I expect have to wake, run the service etc to get the stuff?

I'll try leaving iMac on all the time and test this

Thanks

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
I just connected a 2010 mini to my AT2 and am having the same issues. The library even falls offline while streaming a movie to it. This is extremely annoying. I just starting ripping my 300+ dvd library, and if ATV can't even get through a single movie without dropping then this will be a whole lot of wasted time.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
I'm pretty sure this isn't happening to most people, so I have to wonder if there is something unusual about your set-up. Are you running iTunes straight, or do you have your library on a NAS? Do you have your movies in your library, or do you have "do not copy...." checked?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK

My iTunes library is on a NAS, the music,apps etc are "copy to library" but the movies are in a different folder and just referenced, ie iTunes references/points to them in the folder so they look for all intensive purposes that they are in the actual library.

I really don't see this as unusual though as a lot of people's iTunes libraries are too large to be on an internal Macs HDD.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007

I really don't see this as unusual though as a lot of people's iTunes libraries are too large to be on an internal Macs HDD.

Not unusual, perhaps that was a poor choice of words, but your particular combination may be unique enough that some part of your set up is causing the problem that others don't see.

From the other complaints I've read, the problem probably has something to do with the NAS or the router it's conneccted to, so I'd focus on pinning that problem down. Perhaps there is a setting you can change to improve that situation. Perhaps you just need to set the NAS to not sleep.

I'd try problem-solving the set-up to find the weak link, then see if you can fix that specific problem. You can try moving one movie to a temporary iTunes library on the computer itself (you can set up multiple libraries by holding down the option-key during iTunes launch) and also try connecting the NAS directly to the computer by USB.

Do you have the iTunes "iTunes library", I don't mean the actual media files, on the computer or the NAS?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK

The library and all the files are on the NAS.

The movies are in a different folder on NAS and just referenced for now (for organising and access for my PS3)

My NAS doesn't sleep, since upgrading to Lion struggling getting my iMac to wake from sleep too.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
The library and all the files are on the NAS.

The movies are in a different folder on NAS and just referenced for now (for organising and access for my PS3)

My NAS doesn't sleep, since upgrading to Lion struggling getting my iMac to wake from sleep too.
I'd try it with a library and file directly on the Mac to see if it is due to not finding the NAS quick enough as opposed to a problem with your aTV or COmputer.

Then, you could try it with a Library on the Mac and a file on the NAS. This might help, because the aTV would see iTunes running fine on the Mac, while iTunes would have a few extra seconds to link up to the NAS before you access a file.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK

Yeh I will do a test library on iMacs Internal HDD.

Still need to sort out the waking from sleep though. I've ticked "wake for network access" in settings. I have an AEBS (albeit an older model-2007?) so should work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.