Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As per the title really, does the original iPad support wireless N on the 5ghz spectrum?

I tried asking my local apple store an three sales people and a guru were all clueless.

I have major interference issues using my existing wireless G router due to the obscene number of other networks in my area, as such I want to buy an airport express and use the 5ghz spectrum for the iPads.

Also, does iPhone 4 support it? I seem to think it can't?! Is it a different chipset or is it just disabled in software?

Thanks!

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Yes, it does. I've been running 5GHz only 'n' for a few years now. Both iPads support it. FWIW, first-gen AppleTV is also running 5GHz. I'm running a new-style (square) Airport Extreme (built-in hub).

I believe the iPhone 4 does, but I don't have first hand experience with that one.
Edit: I stand corrected - the iPhone is 2.4GHz 'n'.

I have several devices that are 'g' only, so I run those off an older gen Airport Extreme.

Last edited:

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Yes, it does. I've been running 5GHz only 'n' for a few years now. Both iPads support it. FWIW, first-gen AppleTV is also running 5GHz. I'm running a new-style (square) Airport Extreme (built-in hub

I just wanted to agree with and confirm the above. I have a 5GHz N network, and the iPad 1 works on it fine.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Yes, it does. I've been running 5GHz only 'n' for a few years now. Both iPads support it. FWIW, first-gen AppleTV is also running 5GHz. I'm running a new-style (square) Airport Extreme (built-in hub).

I believe the iPhone 4 does, but I don't have first hand experience with that one.

I have several devices that are 'g' only, so I run those off an older gen Airport Extreme.

True. The iPad does support 5GHz 802.11n
The iPhone 4 doesn't, only 802.11n 2.4 GHz only.

You can goto Apple website to see more details :)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The iPhone only supports 2.4Ghz WiFi N (as stated on the iPhone tech specs page)

The iPad 1 supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi N. You can see the tech specs on the Wayback machine where it makes no mention of 2.4Ghz only. I've also used my iPad without problem on a 5Ghz router

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Cool, thanks!

So, given then iPhone doesn't support 5ghz will using N in 2.4ghz for the iPhone reduce interference or am I right in thinking the problem will remain that it will get interference from all the G networks around me?

Any recommendation as to a good dual mode Adsl router/modem? The extreme seems a little overkill (and over priced) for a simple home network!

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Cool, thanks!

So, given then iPhone doesn't support 5ghz will using N in 2.4ghz for the iPhone reduce interference or am I right in thinking the problem will remain that it will get interference from all the G networks around me?

Any recommendation as to a good dual mode Adsl router/modem? The extreme seems a little overkill (and over priced) for a simple home network!

About the only thing you can do [for 2.4GHz band] is try and set the base station to an unused channel, rather than leaving it automatic. For instance, if you find other network's using the upper channels, then move yours to one of the lower ones.

If you have any wireless land-line phones on 2.4GHz band, I strongly recommend buying a 5.8GHz model. The lower band models will definitely cause grief.

A dual-mode (if you mean dual-band) doesn't necessarily mean simultaneous use of both bands. The current Airport Extreme does (and, I imagine there are 3rd party ones too). Also, the Airport Extreme doesn't include an ADSL modem. If you go that route, you can disable wifi in the modem (and routing), then use the Extreme both as a router and WiFi base station. If, you need to keep the routing functionality in your modem, then you can setup the Extreme in bridged mode.

Last edited:

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Hey thanks everyone.

Been out ant picked up a net gear dgnd3300 dual band router so now I have 5ghz N for the iPads. What a difference!

The g network still has problems but I can't do much more about that, just stick with n as much as possible!

Thanks for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.