Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sparrow.jpg

Dominique Leca, the co-founder of the much-loved Sparrow mail client, tells Business Insider that his team is working on an iPhone version of Sparrow.
BI: Isn't one of Apple's rules for the mobile App Store that you can't "duplicate functionality"?

DL: Yes, but on the Mac, they can't really apply it, so you've got a way out. You can license your software without being considered a rogue developer, like you might on Cydia [the jailbreak app store for iPhone].

Developers have been selling Mac apps long before the MAS was introduced, whereas for most people, the only want to get content on an iPhone is through the App Store. It was a walled garden from the very beginning.

We'll see what happens with Sparrow for iPhone. We're just starting on this, but it's still far far away. But we'll give it a try, Apple be with us.

BI: So do you think they'll approve it?

DL: I think they will. They're accepting third party browsers, so why not mail? This would be really inconsistent. Opera has a browser out there, and I think Mozilla has one coming too.
Leca also notes that Sparrow has generated more than $500,000 in revenue in the six months it's been available on the Mac App Store. Sparrow was originally going to be priced for $24.99, but they decided on $9.99 as a price point in order to reach more users. "People don't wake up in the morning thinking they want to change their mail client."

Sparrow for Mac is available for $9.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

There is a free "Sparrow Lite" version as well, that restricts users to one email account. [Direct link]

Article Link: Sparrow Developer Working on iPhone Version

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
I think they are in for a rude awakening, I will be shocked to see this approved.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are already some apps that can read mail, the problem is that they can't be integrated with the operating system.
All apps and links will always open Apple Mail even if another mail app is installed.

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
Can you queue messages in Sparrow (sending a message on or after a certain date/time)? If so, I'm sold!

(Eudora used to have this ability, which I used a LOT.)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I am content with the Mail.app from Apple:cool:
So am I. Honestly, I can't really think of any way it could be improved for my usage when I'm mobile.

An alternative certainly could bring features that I never knew I needed though. Hopefully this will get approved (I don't see why not) and spur some competition.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Sparrow rules for the Mac, especially in terms of UI. There's just no comparison, IMHO. Using multiple accounts (especially Gmail) is a seamless experience with Sparrow.

However, the iPad and iPhone Mail apps are superb. I don't see Sparrow as a replacement in these two instances.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Sparrow rules for the Mac, especially in terms of UI. There's just no comparison, IMHO. Using multiple accounts (especially Gmail) is a seamless experience with Sparrow.

However, the iPad and iPhone Mail apps are superb. I don't see Sparrow as a replacement in these two instances.

They could get rid of the horrible pop over interface when in portrait mode. Apple needs to learn that pop overs like that are the new drawers from OS X (Apple, just copy the Twitter app interface already).

As far as Sparrow for mac, I'm messing around with the demo of 1.3.2 with a temporary gmail account (craigslist stuff) and I don't really see the appeal over OS X Mail. Admittedly, I don't really use gmail beyond the occasional throw away account so maybe I'm missing something. So the better gmail support doesn't make up for the lack of multiple signatures. And I oddly like OS X Mail's way of conversation handling better (although it would be nice if there was an easy way to include your replies in the threads).

Sparrow easily beats 10.6 Mail, but 10.7...not so much for me.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
However, the iPad and iPhone Mail apps are superb.

I wouldn't go that far. I find it really frustrating that I can't send email to groups that I've created. I can only add contacts one by one. That's a huge and unnecessary pain. If I need to do a lot of e-mail, I avoid my iOS devices unless I have no other choice.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006

If Sparrow makes iOS users more likely to use Sparrow instead of Safari to read their Gmail mailboxes, then Google would get fewer ad displays. That would be good for Apple, right?

Am I thinking too hard?

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (IPod Touch 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I highly doubt it gets any traction on iOS devices. Why spend $'s when the stock app is already an excellent one?

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Wirelessly posted (IPod Touch 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I highly doubt it gets any traction on iOS devices. Why spend $'s when the stock app is already an excellent one?

For most users, you are correct. However, there are people who will purchase a different browser and a different calendar client for iOS. Those people are power users who need more features. Apple's Mail app is very basic and not useful for folks who get a volume of e.mail. Unfortunately, e.mail apps are still banned from the App Store [many developers, including myself, have tried to submit better e.mail apps and we've all been rejected].

A few features that power users would pay for:

* sending to groups
* optional inline/bottom quoting replies
* flag a message [iOS 5 Mail has this]
* custom signatures based on account used
* filter support
* bounce/redirect support
* multiple attachment support
* auto-prune support
* custom X- header support
* alternate compose editor support
* sigdash support
* FCC support
* signature at bottom option
* custom sorting
* nested folder creation support

I have a list of over 100 features that I'd like a mail client to support. Many of them are simply preferences and wouldn't clutter up the UI of the mail client. All the features in my personal list are features I use all the time, that's why I built an alternative e.mail app for iOS - it filled a need I had, but until Apple decides to allow alternate mail apps like they do for browsers and calendars, the app will only live on my iOS devices.

There are some amazing browsers and calendar apps on the App Store that really show how creative developers are in being able to pack so many additional features into an app that has a simple looking UI. I think the same can be said for developers of iOS mail apps as well.

/vjl/

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Too bad that I never got around to test the lite version. The limitation to a Gmail account is absolutely disappointing. I won't create an account just to make a test run. I am a bit reluctant with regard to e-mail clients, so a quick buy is out of the question for me.

snipper

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2004
At least give us a spamfilter

I gladly paid for a bayesian spam filter for Mail and it is surprising that Apple still doesn't even allow such a plugin for iOS Mail.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Apple already allow Good for Enterprise in the app store and it's basically a mail replacement.

Of course, with most app rejections, it's mostly based on how anal retentive or how much of a control freak the app reviewer at Apple is.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I must say that I love Sparrow. It's specifically has Gmail in mind and thats what a good portion of the modern computing masses are using.

Please don't speak for the majority. I have a Gmail account that I check once a month. I run Thunderbird on non-OS X boxes. My mail server is IMAP'd. I use Yahoo Mail for other less important stuff, but check it several times a week.

Thunderbird [Icedove for us Debian Linux users] is version 5 and with all the Calendar, Group addons it's doing just fine. It's a orders faster and more feature rich than GMail.

----------

I gladly paid for a bayesian spam filter for Mail and it is surprising that Apple still doesn't even allow such a plugin for iOS Mail.

What's stopping you from setting up the Mail Host server included in OS X? Turn on IMAP, register your own domain and run all the spam filters you want?

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Please don't speak for the majority. I have a Gmail account that I check once a month. I run Thunderbird on non-OS X boxes. My mail server is IMAP'd. I use Yahoo Mail for other less important stuff, but check it several times a week.

Thunderbird [Icedove for us Debian Linux users] is version 5 and with all the Calendar, Group addons it's doing just fine. It's a orders faster and more feature rich than GMail.

I fail to see how all your "I" statements would have anything to do with "the majority". As important you may consider yourself to be, you are probably not the majority all by yourself. Additionally, "a good portion of the modern computing masses" does not even imply anything about a majority. Even without numbers at hand, I'd be prepared to wager that you are not even covered by that statement to begin with...

What's stopping you from setting up the Mail Host server included in OS X? Turn on IMAP, register your own domain and run all the spam filters you want?

You mean other than the nightmare of running and maintaining a server? :rolleyes:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
As far as Sparrow for mac, I'm messing around with the demo of 1.3.2 with a temporary gmail account (craigslist stuff) and I don't really see the appeal over OS X Mail. Admittedly, I don't really use gmail beyond the occasional throw away account so maybe I'm missing something. So the better gmail support doesn't make up for the lack of multiple signatures. And I oddly like OS X Mail's way of conversation handling better (although it would be nice if there was an easy way to include your replies in the threads).

Sparrow easily beats 10.6 Mail, but 10.7...not so much for me.
I feel the same way. Mail 10.7 handily beats Sparrows limited UI. When using Sparrow I feel like I'm using the official Twitter app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.