Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I think the Plexiglass on the nets and the verification line are great ideas and should be put in for this season.

I think the icing on PK and offsides going down to the other side are dumb and will just disrupt flow-same with the guy having to step back if he is kicked out of the face-off circle. All are not going to effect the changes that they want.

I think the hybrid icing is another great idea.

I am

The curved glass is a good idea-my problem is that I haven't seen more than a couple of pics and it seems that no one really knows how it wil be implemented with regards to how players can and cannot use it.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
this is the longest offseason ever... is it october 6th yet?

41 days... then
wcnv37.jpg

:D

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
So ESPN will not be offering the NHL in Europe this season, at least not as of yet. I ordered ESPN Player the past two seasons, and have been pretty happy with it, but now I noticed the NHL wasnt anywhere on the page, and was later told in a reply email from cust. support, that as of now, it is not available. I am probably going to go with hockeystreams.com. Has anyone used this site before? If so, were you on a Mac, and how was it? Im just nervous because I dont want to give up $90 of my money, only for the site to be shut down, even though they have been around now for a while.

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
Nice to see that THN [even though its kinda mostly meaningless at this juncture] have my beloved Blues @ 7th place... what a hellacious start last year, only to have injuries and other fud befall the Note. Congrats to the Bruins - my "tied for 2nd place favourite team" [with the Penguins, and then followed closely by the Devils].

Damn,,, so fricking happy that the Bruins beat the 'nucks... have never ever liked them, never will. Despise them almost as much as the Red Wings.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
So ESPN will not be offering the NHL in Europe this season, at least not as of yet. I ordered ESPN Player the past two seasons, and have been pretty happy with it, but now I noticed the NHL wasnt anywhere on the page, and was later told in a reply email from cust. support, that as of now, it is not available. I am probably going to go with hockeystreams.com. Has anyone used this site before? If so, were you on a Mac, and how was it? Im just nervous because I dont want to give up $90 of my money, only for the site to be shut down, even though they have been around now for a while.

I was thinking about a similar question today-

who here pays for Center Ice? I think it is a fantastic product. It is great to have during the year and is beyond invaluable during the stretch drive. And I will pay for it again this year-and if you get the early-bird special, the price can be pretty reasonable.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I was thinking about a similar question today-

who here pays for Center Ice? I think it is a fantastic product. It is great to have during the year and is beyond invaluable during the stretch drive. And I will pay for it again this year-and if you get the early-bird special, the price can be pretty reasonable.

I haven't ordered Center Ice since I moved to CA, but I'm thinking about it for this season. It wasn't really necessary when I lived in Toronto......there's quite a bit of hockey on TV there.

The problem is (as you know), that all of the east coast games start at 4pm PST. There's just no way for me to watch most Leafs games. The NHL Network tends to show Saturday night's Leaf game (because they carry HNIC on Sat nights), so at least I can see one game a week. 4pm on Saturday usually isn't a problem for me.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
^^^^Dude, tell us how you really feel.:p

I just heard on the radio that former Leaf Wade Belak was found dead in his Toronto condo. He was only 35 years old.:(

Another one.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
^^^^Dude, tell us how you really feel.:p

How about we strap him to some cinder blocks and push him off the zakim in to the charles? ;)

I just heard on the radio that former Leaf Wade Belak was found dead in his Toronto condo. He was only 35 years old.:(

Another one.

wow. this offseason has been crazy. :eek:

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I am in no way trying to start a political or moral discussion here, so please, PLEASE just humor me with the point i am making

I want to share a quote from a film called "and the band played on", about the onset of the AIDS epidemic:

"How many hemophiliacs have to die before it'll be cost effective for you people to do something about it? A hundred? A thousand? Give us a number so we won't annoy you until the amount of money you start losing on LAWSUITS makes it PROFITABLE for you to save people than to kill them ?"

I am in no way equating head trauma related deaths to the AIDS epidemic. Having real people die because other's didnt want to help because of politics is not even close to being related to professional athletes dying because of injuries and after effects of playing.

But my point is the same principle as the quote above. At what point will someone step-up and do something? At what point will the league, the PA, and corporate sponsors realize that if they want to continue to profit, having all your players die isn't good PR.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
^^^I hear ya, man. Let's wait and see what the official causes of death are for Belak and Rypien first. If it has anything to do with the Game, then the NHL and the NHLPA most definitely need to step up and create or improve their post-retirement programs.

Great movie, BTW.

And it looks like this story has finally become big enough for front page news on CNN:

Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 7.04.26 PM.png

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/09/01/nhl.enforcers.deaths/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

So, according to this article, Belak committed suicide. That's the first mention of that I've seen anywhere.

Wade Belak’s father said the former Maple Leaf enforcer showed no signs of depression before taking his own life Wednesday in a downtown Toronto hotel.

Lionel Aadland, who got divorced from Belak’s mother when their sons were very young, told the National Post he was “at a total loss” to explain his son’s suicide.

“It’s disappointing that he would choose that option, and totally surprising,” said Aadland, a retired police officer who lives in Salmon Arm, B.C.

Last edited:

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Well said, cuestakid.

I was having this discussion at work when my co-worker showed me the article where it said Belak hung himself (which was the first I heard as well. I thought I read yesterday it was an overdoes).

1 or 2 could be considered a coincidence, but at some point they are going to have to start investigating this, as they have started to do with recently deceased NFL players.

The fact that these guys are enforcers and have sustained head injury after head injury, most probably going undetected is scary. I believe in the next few years this is going to effect the way the game is played. These guys are too young to be dying in the ways they have.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Well said, cuestakid.

I was having this discussion at work when my co-worker showed me the article where it said Belak hung himself (which was the first I heard as well. I thought I read yesterday it was an overdoes).

1 or 2 could be considered a coincidence, but at some point they are going to have to start investigating this, as they have started to do with recently deceased NFL players.

The fact that these guys are enforcers and have sustained head injury after head injury, most probably going undetected is scary. I believe in the next few years this is going to effect the way the game is played. These guys are too young to be dying in the ways they have.

Totally agree with everything you said, including the "well said, cuestakid" part.

I'm actually really shocked to hear it was suicide, especially after listening to people say such good things about him for the last couple of days. From what everyone has been saying, he was a happy, friendly, all around great guy. That's why suicide wasn't something I assumed before I read this. I was thinking that perhaps it was a stroke or something like that.

The NHL and PA need to get on this now.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
Totally agree with everything you said, including the "well said, cuestakid" part.

I'm actually really shocked to hear it was suicide, especially after listening to people say such good things about him for the last couple of days. From what everyone has been saying, he was a happy, friendly, all around great guy. That's why suicide wasn't something I assumed before I read this. I was thinking that perhaps it was a stroke or something like that.

The NHL and PA need to get on this now.

I actually read a tweet about the suicide the same day but someone shot it down. But when I saw that is own WIFE had to release a statement, I have to wonder if she is doing it not because she wants to thank the world for support, but rather to try and protect her kids from whatever harm may come from the stigma of having their parent commit suicide.
I tweeted this book to someone else a while back and said I may buy it.

Now I will

http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Good-Fight--Ice-Violence/dp/1118092228/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314934235&sr=1-2

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Just saw this, and thought I'd share it:

Screen Shot 2011-09-03 at 7.24.20 PM.png

So, um, is this guy suggesting that Belak went out David Carradine styles or something?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.