Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I was looking for a good bit torrent for Mac, as I own some movies but for some reason they will not read on my Mac Mini, so I was looking to see if I torrent one if that will work, one of the movies is Saw III, I have the entire collection but no matter what I try I can not RIP this movie.

Any other ideas would be helpful.

Clark Kent

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
I'm a Vuze user, only because I've always used it and change it scary. ;)

It has far more features and options than I would ever need, but using it in the older classic view, it's easy on the eyes and it takes seconds to set up what I want it to do.

And it always does things correctly without any problems, which is good enough for me.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
one of the movies is Saw III, I have the entire collection but no matter what I try I can not RIP this movie.

Any other ideas would be helpful.

Is this a DVD or blueray that you are trying to rip, I would be very surprised if RipIt was not able to rip that DVD.

RipIt to rip the DVD and Handbrake to encode and Vuze for your torrents

DrEnalg

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
East Bay, CA
To be honest, I used to torrent and one big reason I don't anymore is because regardless of how 'legit' one's reasons may be for torrenting a TV show or movie (don't want to get into that), it's essentially one of the least secure ways of getting a file you want.

You can d/l movies and TV shows with a jailbroken ATV2 or with XBMC on your Mac using http (e.g., Megaupload, etc.).... you can even just stream them and skip the hassle. Still not 100% secure but I'm thinking a lot less riskier than torrenting. I'm just sayin'...

Capt Crunch

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2001
Washington, D.C.
Eh, I prefer direct downloads + hot links over anything really.

What on earth could possibly be better than usenet? Any TV show I want to watch is downloaded automatically at a speed that maxes out my 50 Mbps connection.

jDownloader is nice, but having to search forums for links and copying and pasting them is such a drag. :p

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
What on earth could possibly be better than usenet? Any TV show I want to watch is downloaded automatically at a speed that maxes out my 50 Mbps connection.

jDownloader is nice, but having to search forums for links and copying and pasting them is such a drag. :p

Some people have different preferences. Besides, it's not like I need everything lighting fast and I prefer to choose what I download.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

BTW, in a side note: why is it that always you fire up a BT app, the entire network slows to a crawl even when there is no file neither downloading nor uploading? I could understand the slowing if you were using all the bandwidth, but even when there is no file exchange going on, the rest of the apps get q really slow connection (if any at all).

Is there a specific setting you could change to avoid this behavior? Or is it just the way is supposed to be?

sandyjmacdonald

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
One fantastic feature of Transmission is the remote access. You just open a webpage wherever you are and you can see the progress of your torrents, pause them, delete them, start new torrents etc. Very handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.