Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
I have recently added a 2010 27" iMac to my collection of mac's. It is between this and my current 2011 MBP that I am trying to decide what to play games on. Does anyone have any advice on what is likely to get the best performance?

Both will be used hooked up to a 24" display. The reason I have the iMac is that it was being put in the bin because the LCD is wrecked but i managed to salvage it as I thought it a total waste to throw away just because one part is broken, so I got it for free. (i did look up the cost of replacing the glass and LCD but it comes to about £400 which i do not have sadly)

The specs for both are as follows:

MBP- 2.2GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
500GB 7200-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

iMac- 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading
4GB DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory
1TB 7200 RPM

My guess is that the MBP will come out on top, but by playing at the desk on the imac when I am not lazing on the couch I won't see that much of a difference?

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
The MacBook will certainly give you much better performance due to the faster processor and the fact the GPU has more and faster VRAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.