Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Novice Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Hi,
A bit newer to the MAC community so be gentle.

I have a MacBook Pro with iTunes 10.4.1. Just bought and installed a Marantz 5006 receiver with AirPlay. Trying to connect the two together but the AirPlay Icon is not showing up on my Mac?? I also have an iPad and have downloaded the Remote app and can control iTunes but again, no AirPlay icon.

I've read a bunch of threads in this forum and others that all talk about 'hacks' for non-AirPlay enabled devices but the Marantz receiver 'should' be locked and loaded to go.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I don't own one of these receivers, so just guessing here, but I would think you need configure the receiver to connect to your wireless network - have you done this?

Novice Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Shawn,
I have enabled Home Sharing on the MacBook that houses the iTunes and our media folder. Do I also have to do something same on the receiver?

Again, thanks for your patience and help.

----------

I don't own one of these receivers, so just guessing here, but I would think you need configure the receiver to connect to your wireless network - have you done this?

Scooby,
The receiver is hard wired to our home router and I have used it to play Pandora without an issue. What other configurations would I need to do?

Again, I'm concerned that I don't even 'see' the AirPlay icon in iTunes. It makes me think that there's a software issue, but not sure.

Thanks!

JohanA

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2011
Firmware upgrade

Hi
I.´ve got a Marantz SR 7005 that is airplay enabled. what you need to do is go to marantz homepage and pay a few bucks for an upgrade. Then you need to go into the system menu of the reciever and then manual setup - options setup- Add new feature. Follow the instructions. You might want to check for firmware updates as well when you´re in there.

Last edited:

Novice Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Hi
I.´ve got a Marantz SR 7005 that is airplay enabled. what you need to do is go to marantz homepage and pay a few bucks for an upgrade. Then you need to go into the system menu of the reciever and then manual setup - options setup- Add new feature. Follow the instructions. You might want to check for firmware updates as well when you´re in there.

Thanks Johan! If I ever get power back again (Irene) I'll check it out.

That stated, shouldn't I still be able to see the AirPlay icon in iTunes regardless of the Marantz set up? OR does AirPlay need to 'see' the Marantz first?

Thanks everyone.

Novice Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Problem Solved!

Hi Everyone,
So figured I'd share how this ended up. Not sure how/why this happened but I don't really care, I can play my music the way I want now.

We lost power due to Irene for about 4 days. It was just turned back on this afternoon. For ****** and giggles, I figured I'd try one last time before going to purchase the upgrade software etc. as suggested. Bang, the AirPlay icon is sitting right there!

Again, not sure what happened to make this show up, but don't care.

Appreciate the help provided earlier!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.