Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Torresangel88

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

It stores the contacts on the phone

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

It stores the contacts on the phone

kilo123

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
If u have a gsm version, then the contacts are also backed up onto the sim card. So if u get a new iPhone and put the sim card in u can go to settings and the contacts tab u can press import contacts from sim and u will get all ur contacts on the phone right away.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
If u have a gsm version, then the contacts are also backed up onto the sim card. So if u get a new iPhone and put the sim card in u can go to settings and the contacts tab u can press import contacts from sim and u will get all ur contacts on the phone right away.

Are you sure about that? I have used all iPhone since launch day and all I know is you can only import from a sim card and no the other way around! Unless you sim the jailbreak app that is in Cydia to save contacts/transfer into a sim card.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Contacts are not backed up on the Sim card. There isn't enough room for all the info in the iPhone contacts. The iPhone can import contacts that have been put there by another phone.

kilo123

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Ya I am sure. U should try it if u have a gsm version. I just got my iPhone replaced two weeks ago and when they gave me the new one it's was empty and all the texts
came in as numbers rather than names and they told me all I had to do was click the "import sim contacts" button and I had all my contacts, but that's it (obviously) none of the txts or anything came back.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada

This is incorrect. You can only import from SIM, you cannot back up to SIM.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Contacts are not backed up on the Sim card. There isn't enough room for all the info in the iPhone contacts. The iPhone can import contacts that have been put there by another phone.

Correct, the iPhone has an import fuction to help you migrate any existing Contacts stored on your SIM from a non-iPhone!

Ya I am sure. U should try it if u have a gsm version. I just got my iPhone replaced two weeks ago and when they gave me the new one it's was empty and all the texts
came in as numbers rather than names and they told me all I had to do was click the "import sim contacts" button and I had all my contacts, but that's it (obviously) none of the txts or anything came back.

You should have synced your iPhone before it was replaced. This would allow you to backup your SMS Txt messages and also sync your contacts to one of the iPhone supported Contact management tools.

Note: In your case since you already had contacts on your SIM, then yes you were able to re-import them but any that you added directly via the iPhone will not be available. The iPhone does not write Contact data to the Mini-SIM or the Micro-SIM.

I don't think he's saying YOU can backup to sim, he's saying the iPhone also stores to the sim to allow you to import from sim.
Again, the iPhone does not store any contact data to the SIM not as a backup or at all. The iPhone is designed to sync any contacts add to your iPhone to another contact tool on your Mac, PC, MobileMe, Google, Yahoo, Outlook, Outlook Express... or soon iCloud.

Dave

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj

I read this thinking "what a moron you cannot do that" haha.. I've had all iPhone and always thought that. Read your other post - and you're right - you CAN import from SIM!

Pretty sure MOST do not know this.. even Apple geniuses... because I've mentioned after a few replacements how it's a pain not having contacts until I can sync it. Each time they'd say "yeah, I agree.. wish there was a way"... most do not know this.

kilo123

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Ya mine even did the new contacts that I added on my old iPhone before I got it replaced.

Supraking

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

You prolly have saved your contacts somewhere else then thought the iPhone saved it for you on the sim. Cuz I just try with an empty sim card, and guess what? Nothing has been saved into the sim from my iPhone.
PS: Yes I have all GSM iPhones model

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.