Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, a prototype back panel for Apple's "N94" iPhone surfaced, revealing a nearly identical appearance to the iPhone 4. The part was an "Engineering Verification Test 2" component carrying a date of June 7th, 2011, but questions have continued about whether the device represents the upgraded iPhone 5 or an "iPhone 4S" designed to be a cheaper model based on the iPhone 4 design.

n94_front_panel_front.jpg

MacPost has now obtained photos of a similar front panel part in black, carrying a similar "Engineering Verification Test 1" designation and dated March 3rd, 2011. The part consists of the entire front assembly for the N94 device, including the digitizer panel itself and the LCD.

n94_front_panel_back.jpg

The design is entirely consistent with the iPhone 4, showing the same amount of bezel edge on the sides of the screen and a hole for the traditional iPhone home button.
The panel part shows same bezel space on the sides of the display, as well as similar space between the screen and the home button and top ear piece, when compared with iPhone 4. If you compare the digitizer component, it is exactly the same as that of iPhone 4 model. The home button might not be going anywhere and the cut-out area for Home Button is still circular which debunks earlier claim that iPhone 5 will get an elongated Home Button (rather capacitive).
With continued reports of a redesign for the iPhone 5, perhaps with a metallic back, the interpretation of these parts points toward them being from the "iPhone 4S". We have yet to see, however, any leaked parts from the rumored form factor redesign of the iPhone 5.

Article Link: Prototype Next-Generation iPhone Front Panel Reveals Identical Design to iPhone 4

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
lets see

Well I think the iPhone 4 looks way better than the other mockups I've seen so maybe thats good

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
I don't care about the front. I want a redesigned back. I love the idea of going back to the 1st gen metal back.

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
That might be the cheaper iPhone 4 for all we know. These rumors ar getting tiresome. Going back and forth 10 times a day.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Fingers Crossed for Redesign

I think the iPhone4 design is nice but I would like to see something more ergonomic and with a larger screen. Let's hope they have something neat in store for iPhone5.

If Apple was only going to do a "speed bump" to iPhone4S I don't see why they'd wait this long to announce it. Seems to me that they're going to release something special...otherwise they probably would be better off sticking to the June schedule.

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Most android phones are cumbersome to carry in my pockets. I'm glad they are staying with this size, instead of succumbing to some nerd's fantasy.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Agreed. These could be the rumored "low cost" iPhone, or they could be really old photos to begin with. Also, Apple uses old cases for their products while testing - this could be one of those models. Or, Apple could be prepping the iPhone 5 for Verizon and AT&T, and offer the iPhone 4 on Sprint & T-Mobile.

Who knows.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
And here come the "I demand a bigger screen or I'm going to Android" posts ... :rolleyes:

Wait to preemptively start the flame war.

Anyway I'm placing my bets on this cheap iPhone 4. With all of the hullabaloo with the current design (fabricated hysteria or not) I don't see them keeping the next iteration the same.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've had a feeling this was gonna be it. iPhone 4 is to iPhone 5 as iPhone 3G is to iPhone 3GS. Don't know why it took them so long to release it though (guess they thought the iPhone 4 was so good it could stand on it's own for more than the usual one-year product cycle).

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Wait to preemptively start the flame war.

Anyway I'm placing my bets on this cheap iPhone 4. With all of the hullabaloo with the current design (fabricated hysteria or not) I don't see them keeping the next iteration the same.

Don't need me to start anything, this place has become as predictable as the ending to the Titanic movie.

rockametrics

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
This has got to be a ploy...Are they really going to make us wait this long for this?!!?

Surprise and Delight!!
Not wait and disappoint!

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
This is fake. It's an iPhone 4.

Guys it's just a rumor! We have less than a month for the music keynote event and who knows, this person could have taken apart the iPhone 4 case and just took the pictures for it. It is a rumor guys. So ya I think there will be 4 inch screen.

scottydontshoot

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
Finally

Well look at it this way... at least the back of the display panel comes with a built in Canon point and shoot.... I was so tired of sending apple emails regarding this brilliant idea. am i wrong?

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I think the iPhone4 design is nice but I would like to see something more ergonomic and with a larger screen. Let's hope they have something neat in store for iPhone5.

If Apple was only going to do a "speed bump" to iPhone4S I don't see why they'd wait this long to announce it. Seems to me that they're going to release something special...otherwise they probably would be better off sticking to the June schedule.

I agree. I'm not so concerned about the bigger screen, myself. And I think the iPhone 4 is definitely the most beautiful looking phone on the market, but I just never have liked the way it feels. I think something that looks similar to the iPhone 4 from the front, with a curved back would be perfect.

But if they've spent 14 months (going on 15), and all they're going to send out is a faster iPhone 4, I'm waiting for the next generation. I hope this is just a cheaper lower end model and they'll still release the iphone 5.

I would give my balls to know when this announcement is going to take place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.