Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Still 10 times more bandwidth than my Internet connection... :(

At least you then have 8mbit. Lots of suckers have it way worse than that. Im wishing for a 200/200 connection atm, or one of them 1gbit babies. Doubt ill see that happen though, unless i move to a different house (like across the street).

----------

Plenty of displays on the market greater than 1080p. One may be sitting on your desk. :p That might be why YouTube already has 4K streams. However, I think you may be neglecting the most important detail: Apple has a history of looking to where industries are going to be next, not now.

As for Blu-Ray, I think Apple drew a line in the sand with all the Blu-Ray licensees, and, while there has been some licensing consolidation (exs. BD4C Licensing Group, One-Blue LLC), it may be too little, too late. I believe Apple has moved on. Meanwhile, between BD having only been enjoyed by 15% of US homes in the past six months (according to Home Media Magazine) after the formats been on the market for five years, the disappearance of the local video store, and new online video services being announced all the time, perhaps Apple believes consumers have moved on, too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the Dirac codec shows promise if they can work out some of its performance issues. HD+ video without taxing our machines would be very nice indeed.

Thanks for the heads-up on H.265 (HEVC). I'll have to look into it.

I've been singing praise for RedRay for what seems forever. :D

Anything larger than 24" should sport a higher res than 1920 as native. 1080p will remain standard for quite some time though (but yeah, monitor-wise the res is "nothing").

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Oh right, I forgot to mention turning on home sharing too. Important bit of info there.

The op mentioned screen sharing not playing videos. I don't think you will do that with an Apple TV. It is possible he only wanted to play video's but its not what he said.

FCPnewbie

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2003
keep in mind that 10mbps is for 4K delivery, drop that to 720 & we're dealing with more manageable numbers.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Good. I can't wait for Flash to die. It's great not having Flash on Lion.

Cool. I'm sure the 80% of websites on the net would rather NOT have you able to view their content.

Yes, Amiga computers were superior too because they were never able to deal with flash.:rolleyes:

:apple:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I think you mean 3D, not HD, and it wasn't really a choice. Try channels 403, 404, 864, 865, 868, or 869, neighbor. ;)
Had no idea about 3D: yea, nay, or indifferent.

No, I am discussing HD. Sure, ESPN can get most of their football and baseball sent via HD, but they completely fall down after the major sports. It's sickening. You need to actually watch those channels to see how much is HD. I dropped sat TV almost a year ago and barely miss it. Not paying ESPN $5/channel is one thing I REALLY don't miss.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
As the iPad continues to dominate, at some point those companies might want to think twice about not being able to deliver their web content to the millions and millions of iPads out there.

That's a big assumption: That iPad will continue to dominate.

Perhaps smarter consumers will start buying tablets that cost less and DO deliver all web content to their users. Survival of the smartest vs. survival of the prettiest.

The cancer of arrogance kills companies. Not at first. But inevitably.

AND deservedly.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN

Uhhh.......the iPad competitors are still flummoxed - going on two years now. The iPad is to tablets what the iPod was to music players. The iPad's competition is on the same threat level as the Zune was to the iPod - ZERO.

Perhaps smarter consumers will start buying tablets that cost less and DO deliver all web content to their users.

How is that possible when Flash sucks on Android?

Walt Mossberg Tells Adobe CEO To His Face That Flash Sucks On Android
http://www.cultofmac.com/walt-mossberg-tells-adobe-ceo-to-his-face-that-flash-sucks-on-android/98231

Last edited:

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities

Perhaps smarter consumers will start buying tablets that cost less, deliver all web content to their users, and come with a Blu-Ray drive. Survival of the smartest vs. survival of the prettiest.

You forgot something, so I provided a suggested edit. Cheers.

How is that possible when Flash sucks on Android?

Perhaps he's referring to the runaway success of the HP TouchPad.

Last edited:

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
You forgot something, so I provided a suggested edit. Cheers.

Perhaps he's referring to the runaway success of the HP TouchPad.

Thanks, but I knew THAT was impossible from the geniuses at Apple.

But just think of it... a tablet that can play Blu-ray movies... hmmmm.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
As the iPad continues to dominate, at some point those companies might want to think twice about not being able to deliver their web content to the millions and millions of iPads out there.

I fail to follow how the iPad is dominating web traffic for the world. Could you provide some linkage?

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
I fail to follow how the iPad is dominating web traffic for the world. Could you provide some linkage?

That's understandable because I never said anything about the iPad "dominating web traffic for the world." The point is that with each iPad sold ("millions and millions" each quarter) that is another device that a company is missing out on delivering web content.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
That's understandable because I never said anything about the iPad "dominating web traffic for the world." The point is that with each iPad sold ("millions and millions" each quarter) that is another device that a company is missing out on delivering web content.

But as a percentage they aren't missing out on much. Which was my point.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Kinda reminds me of Steve Ballmer's opinion on the iPhone back in 2007. ;)

Yeah he totally dropped the ball on that one. It will be interesting to see if Apple style tablets will overtake standard computers in the world wide market.

It will also be interesting to see if VP8 gets traction.

Nickraphael

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

Apple is going to take the subscription you already have and pay for, and will integrate it into it's apple tv. It's apple tv software will take the information from content providers and present it 'nicer', with newer function ( like search for shows by text, siri, DVR built in tv set) that way people would love tv, want more of it... Win for apple, win for content providers (comcast, direct tv) it's the same setup as with the iPhone, apple doesn't offer cellphone service, they take the service from mobile companies and give you a better user experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.