Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

silverchrysler.jpg

Grand Prairie, Texas is experiencing an epidemic of fake Apple products -- but not the kind from a fake Apple Store. The details of this scam come from the Grand Prairie police department:
A car load of two or three males will pull up to someone at a convenience store or shopping center parking lot and it's "Pssst, hey buddy. Want to buy an Apple iPad or MacBook?" They will tell the victim they are for sale for $300 each or both for $500. The Apple products are actually painted wood or loose leaf note books with the Apple logo on top and wrapped in bubble wrap. They are in a Fed Ex or Best Buy box and sealed up with tape. By the time the victim figures out the purchase wasn't what they bargained for, the crooks are long gone.

Grand Prairie has had over a dozen such crimes committed since January of this year. The suspects have been mostly black males. However one offense involved a black female as well. The vehicles used vary in most cases. There appears to be several groups of thieves and sometimes the suspects never even get out of the car.

The public should be advised that it is unwise to purchase anything from the trunk of a car, no matter how good the deal seems.
The silver Chrysler 300 in the above picture was allegedly used in one of the offenses.

Anyone who has information about the suspects should call Grand Prairie Crime Stoppers at 972-988-8477 or the Grand Prairie "Tip Line" at 972-237-8877.

Article Link: Buying an iPad In a Parking Lot is a Bad Idea

jared52

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
You know, if you are dumb enough to get ripped off by this scam, you might possibly deserve it.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Agreed that they all deserve it. Just like the dopes that died from Irene by swimming or surfing during it.

Bunch of numbnuts.

NeonGreenHermit

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
UK
LOL That's up there with the Wallet Inspector.

But let's consider the 'victim' thing here.

Who in their right minds would a) buy from some dodgy guys in a parking lot for a 1/3 of the price and b) not inspect the item first?

If you believed the product to be genuine, then you're basically admitting you'd buy stolen goods. No way could you say you thought it would be anything else, like a legitimate sale. And if you didn't check the iThing... well, then you're an idiot.

So... in a way... the only people losing here are gullible idiots who would have bought stolen items.

LowKeyed

macrumors member
May 27, 2011
Yeah, it's odd that they use the word "victim". This is simply one criminal tricking a dumber criminal. The only real victim here is the police officer who has to take the report while keeping a straight face and without making fun of the "victim". :)

rjtyork

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Just got a $300 iPad from Blacks. About to open it up and hook it up to my computer. A white guy sold it to me in the Blacks Hardware parking lot. :)

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5.1; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pixi/1.1)

P-P-P-Powerbook

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I would only buy an iPad from a car trunk if I could test it on the spot, and if it had almost no bloodstains.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Aren't they at risk of getting shot? I mean it is Texas.

You know what they say... If you outlaw guns then only outlaws will have guns. If people want to kill someone there are a million ways that have nothing to do with guns. Personally I'd rather be on the same level as the criminals.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Wait, so I'm not supposed to buy expensive products from random people in a parking lot? :eek:

MiWall81

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2011
This is funny! People oh people these days...

Wait a second... What was all that "1 in a million talk..."

Dumb and Dumber

Last edited:

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

God some pepole are fools.
I wonder if anyone paid them with forged money?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.