Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJHonda84

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Apple better not use this as an excuse to drop the iPod classic. Streaming will not be a suitable replacement to massive local storage until a 24/7 network connection can be assumed, and the carriers stop their assault on heavy users.

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
now only if it worked

now only if the iTunes Match service actually worked cause for me and many more developers in the dev forums gets to Step 2 Matching your music with songs in the iTunes store copy some songs and go back to Step 1... then gets to step 2 and does all over again and goes back to Step 1 mine has so far reset to step 1 from step 2 15 times now...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Now you’re talking! I have no pirated music and don’t change what’s on my devices often enough to pay for iTunes Match alone... but if it ALSO lets me stream my whole library painlessly, and free up space on my devices? Well, now the $2/month is sounding pretty good!

I hope they have (or add) the option to set a lower bitrate for streaming. I never come close to reaching my 3G data cap, despite playing a lot of 3G streaming radio (Pandora etc.) in the car. And I want to keep it that way.

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
My unlimited data plan with AT&T isn't worth the money I'm paying for it since I barely have a signal anywhere within 5 miles of my apartment. Grandfathering be damned, I'm jumping to Verizon once the iPhone 5 comes out. Maybe then I'll actually be able to use my iPhone for more than just Angry Birds and Solitaire.

Nothing wrong with a little angry birds in you're life. B-)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
now only if the iTunes Match service actually worked cause for me and many more developers in the dev forums gets to Step 2 Matching your music with songs in the iTunes store copy some songs and go back to Step 1... then gets to step 2 and does all over again and goes back to Step 1 mine has so far reset to step 1 from step 2 15 times now...

Please try to understand there is a LOT of data being transferred back and forth currently and that new datacenter is just getting all the kinks worked out.

There's a reason it's called "Beta". :)

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Assuming it is similar to Spotify a 2GB data plan would allow you to listen to about 18 hours a month.

Of course that is assuming you don't do anything else with your iPhone/iPad.

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have fun streaming all that music when you're away from wifi over 3G with those data caps. But hey! At least it will be blazing fast speeds right?

Thats why I'm hoping for 64GB iPhone 5, please let it happen Apple, it hurts so much always struggling to make space for Apps, photos and my music which is over 32GB as it is anyways (I hate picking and choosing).

+ my 6GB Robbers (Rogers) plan would come in handy for this (streaming that is)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

On an iOS device would you need to go into the iTunes app to stream or would all your songs appear in the iPod?

Yes. Well, the Music app in iOS 5.

music.jpg

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
I hope this makes it to Canada in a timely fashion.

Not holding my breath. We here in the digital wasteland that the Great White North has become, will be at the mercy of The Big Three mobile internet providers who in the face of this new technology will no doubt rush to lower data caps like they did with the arrival of Netflix to Canada. And then there's the @ss clowns from the Canadian Private Copying Collective to deal with...there's never been a bigger group of 'tards put in one room that could stifle the digital movement faster in Canada. Worse than the CRTC...way worse!!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
You can also download an album in bulk.

Attachments

• downloadall.jpg
    downloadall.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 119

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
So lets say you get this for a year, when it runs out does all the music you had during that year still count as purchased through iTunes or no?

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Anybody know if this also upgrades songs that are 128kbs from iTunes to 256kbs, no DRM version? I would assume that if the iTunes Match service will turn non-iTunes downloaded songs into 256kbs versions, that it would also do the same thing for 128kbs iTunes downloaded songs, acquired legally. Right?

Tuck

britsky

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

The Beatles are an Unknown Artist :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Anybody know if this also upgrades songs that are 128kbs from iTunes to 256kbs, no DRM version? I would assume that if the iTunes Match service will turn non-iTunes downloaded songs into 256kbs versions, that it would also do the same thing for 128kbs iTunes downloaded songs, acquired legally. Right?

Tuck

iTunes changed all those 128kbps songs over to 256kbps a long time ago.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Will the streaming work over 3G? If so I'm sure AT&T and Verizon will not like that.

They'll love it when they take away unlimited plans when they move you to 4g service. Remember that their contracts state that they can change the terms anytime they want, unfortunately, users can't.

----------

Tuck

I would hope so...

Remember Apple has prepaid the record industry $140 million already for icloud. If it's not a free upgrade, blame the record labels. I imagine that the labelsmare getting $20 of that $25 every year you pay.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
This household's unlimited data plans are wringing their hands in glee; finally we have an excuse to flog the hell out of our connections. :)

jmw1480

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Yumunum said:
Wow... They should've mentioned this from the start.

I remember lots of people (including myself) expressing my disappointment that you couldn't stream, thus making you buy the higher GB'd models to store your music. So many people were let down. But apparently you can stream, so yay

And there were people like me who said there was no way the service WOULDN'T include streaming when it was finally released.

HORRAY for I told you so.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
The only thing missing from the equation now is streaming to one's Apple TV, and then we could have a completely cloud-based iTunes library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.