Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Ichat won't connect to any of my accounts in Lion. It gave me some trouble in snow leo, but nowhere near this. It almost NEVER works. What can I try to fix this?

Last edited:

mstrshikadance

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2008
Same Problem

anyone figure this out?

i am having the same problem.

iChat wont even try and connect, just stays "offline"

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I've had this happen 3 times now since upgrading to Lion. It's really frustrating, and I don't even use iChat all that much.

SOLUTION:
-Open up 'Activity Monitor' (use Spotlight to find it or go to Applications > Utilities).
-In Activity Monitor, find "imagent" and click the red "Quit Process" button. A dialogue will come up asking if you want to Quit, Cancel, or Force Quit. Select Force Quit and iChat will connect.

danakm

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2006
Wonderland
I've had this happen 3 times now since upgrading to Lion. It's really frustrating, and I don't even use iChat all that much.

SOLUTION:
-Open up 'Activity Monitor' (use Spotlight to find it or go to Applications > Utilities).
-In Activity Monitor, find "imagent" and click the red "Quit Process" button. A dialogue will come up asking if you want to Quit, Cancel, or Force Quit. Select Force Quit and iChat will connect.

Is this a permanent solution or will you have to do it every time you restart your computer and try to open iChat? :(

Bahamut Eos

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Los Angeles

SOLUTION:

Hey, I had the same problem and this fixed it. I hope they fix this in a update soon. I have to bookmark this thread so I can remember immanent.

Thanks!

lorax3

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
First time I'm having this issue is in 10.7.2. Gchat will connect in iChat, but AIM will not. Ending the process in iChat is not working for me. :-/ hmm

----------

For those having problems with AIM in 10.7.2 see this thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1247833/

unchecking SSL will work for now.....

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Yeah AIM isn't connecting for me either. 10.7.2

aah as posted above, uncheck SSL for AIM works. Not happy with that fix but it will do for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.