Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rapps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Hi,
I'm thinking about getting one of those dell 20" widescreen lcd's or even the 24" if it comes down in price. I'd like to use it as a companion to my 15"pb and also as a TV when I go to Law School.

If I have either: 1) a tivo or 2) a digital cable box
can I just plug either of those into the monitor and have a "TV"?

Obviously I don't have a tv tuner card with my PB...and would rather have the monitor be self-sufficient and be able to record show on my tivo/pvr when I'm out studying and still be able to hook up the PB when I'm home and do PIP.

Any suggestions? I'm lost when it comes to what's need to run a tv on a computer monitor!
Thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The Dell 20" Widescreen has the following connectors

VGA / DVI-D / S-video / Composite / 4 x USB 2.0

which means you could plug a tuner/settop box/TIVO into it by DVI or S-Video. If your Powerbook has DVI, then you would want a DVI Switchbox (fairly pricey) for the best quality on both TV and PBook. THe Dell also does a picture-in-picture thing for watching TV while you computer -- they don't specify but I would guess that that is only on the S-Video or Composite input -- I would be surprised if they do PIP with VGA and DVI.

You would have to deal with sound output separately.

Samsung and Sony have released TV/monitors with built in tuners. The sony 19" unit is part number MFMHT19S

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

rapps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
How does the res on the Dell's compare to HD? If I had an HD cable box would the monitors support it?

Thanks for your help!

anotherjeff

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2004
Honolulu
I'm not sure, if you check around there are some other threads about this topic, you might want to check w/ Dell or Viewsonic too.

Sometimes you hear about blurring issues when people use LCD monitors as TVs, I don't know if it's a refresh rate issue but on my Dad's 19" Sony LCD w/ a PC tv tuner card the image is alright but nothing spectacular.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
LCDs still suffer from a slow pixel response time, plus they can't display interlaced material properly. So they are not very good for sports broadcasts where the 60i or 50i video appears to have combing artifacts on the LCD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.