Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnychis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2009
I thought 10.7.1 was supposed to make my WiFi more reliable, but now after I wake my MBA from sleep, the WiFi completely stops working some times. I attempt to turn the WiFi off and back on, but it does not allow me to turn it back on. Then I try to reboot, and it hangs on reboot.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I thought 10.7.1 was supposed to make my WiFi more reliable, but now after I wake my MBA from sleep, the WiFi completely stops working some times. I attempt to turn the WiFi off and back on, but it does not allow me to turn it back on. Then I try to reboot, and it hangs on reboot.

Try downloading the full update from Apple's website and reinstalling it. It usually leads to fewer issues. I've done that since 10.6.6 after the reports last year that the delta update slowed down the graphics of the 2010 MacBook Air.

vladinecko

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
Bay Area, CA
on the same boat, 10.7.1 completely killed my mid-2010 mbp's ability to reconnect to known wifi networks. nice job fixing a bug by introducing a bigger one.

askrib

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
make sure you guys have the LATEST firmware for your wireless router.

I had an issue as well with my wifi but once I downloaded and installed latest version of the firmware, its worked perfect.

TheRealHershey

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I'm having a similar problem. It doesn't bother me when reconnecting, but every 30 minutes to an hour it will just stop working, yet it still shows that it's connected. I have to turn off/on the wifi, then it reconnects and works just fine for another little while.

It's been happening non-stop since the .1 update. It's driving me up the wall. Actually, I'm getting pissed off at how ****** Apple's recent updates have been.

I've also been experiencing a lot (1-3 a day) of graphical bugs which render my system almost completely useless, until I restart it, since the update, too. I've probably restarted this 2011 MBA 13" 256GB more times in the last week than my MBP in the past year. :|

Yes, I reset the PRAM and SMC. Not sure if the SMC actually reset or not, since the LED on the magsafe didn't change or anything.

Fans have been pretty whack since the update. 10% CPU and they're running full blast!

TheRealHershey

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
And today, every other time it comes out of sleep, clicking doesn't register on anything. .1 really, really screwed up my MBA. :( Is there a way to uninstall .* updates?

I have a current gen Airport Extreme, too, btw.

Last edited:

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
I'm still having issues too - though it had seemed better up until this evening.

I was replying to another thread here and it dropped out on me whilst I was posting my reply. I have a new current gen Time Capsule and a previous gen Airport Extreme as my wireless set-up.

I seem to be getting the Alert: No Internet Connection warnings & exclamation mark (again.) Hmm...

Edit, oh and fittingly, it dropped out whilst I was posting my reply to this too. It seems to be every few minutes but I'm too tired to investigate further this evening!!

skeevewiz

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
there is another thread with this exact same idea (i am sure there is a few)...i still have intermitent wifi issues...slowness, dropping signal after the update is loaded - as are a lot of people - which begs the question - what did they fix with this last update?

it must be a smaller piece of the population getting this issue as this thread and the other one i spoke of, don't have a ton of reads or replies...which is weird...must be just toshiba wifi cards in ours?? :p

aldo818

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
South of France
I had this problem with 10.7.0 but then i updated to 10.7.1 and it all seems working perfectly again like it used to be with Snow Leopard :)

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
any solutions to this yet? every time my Air sleeps it disconnects..

i have same problem after update - strange - if i switch wifi on and off its back. it if can be broken then i guess its fixable. fingers crossed for 10.7.2

anybody have a direct link to report this issue to apple?

JusChexin

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
I'm having a similar problem. It doesn't bother me when reconnecting, but every 30 minutes to an hour it will just stop working, yet it still shows that it's connected. I have to turn off/on the wifi, then it reconnects and works just fine for another little while.

It's been happening non-stop since the .1 update. It's driving me up the wall. Actually, I'm getting pissed off at how ****** Apple's recent updates have been.

I've also been experiencing a lot (1-3 a day) of graphical bugs which render my system almost completely useless, until I restart it, since the update, too. I've probably restarted this 2011 MBA 13" 256GB more times in the last week than my MBP in the past year. :|

Yes, I reset the PRAM and SMC. Not sure if the SMC actually reset or not, since the LED on the magsafe didn't change or anything.

Fans have been pretty whack since the update. 10% CPU and they're running full blast!

TheRealHershey, I'm having this EXACT problem. It is driving me up a wall. It doesn't matter whether I am connected through WiFi at my home, on my school network, or through a Starbucks Hotspot. The same problem remains every time -- I begin to have a very slow or non-responsive internet connection, so that webpages won't even load (although WiFi still shows FULL bars). To temporarily FIX, I turn WiFi off, then turn it back on... it seems to fix the problem for a few minutes, but then the problem repeats, and so I keep turning WiFi off/back on. This is driving me batty, lol.

Any solutions/ideas yet?

miladgh

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
i still have the same problem in 10.7.1
it's like that it shows the wifi networks for less than a sec, and then the list goes blank!
I HATE IT. I did a fresh installation without any other software installation after that (except 10.7.1)
i still have the problem.

----------

the only solution that works for me is turning it off and on multiple times!
sometimes 5 times!!
i'm on 10.7.1, reset the SMC, PRAM. the stupid problem is still annoying me.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Many had similar issue with WiFi when Snow Leopard launched, myself included, and this fix worked for many;

1. Enter a new location - remember to go to the TCP/IP tab and Renew the DHCP Lease - seems to work for some.

2. Delete the contents of HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, Empty Trash and Reboot.

I dont have any issue with my MacBook Air on Lion, so I have no real experience of this fix on Lion, however it did work for me with a MacBook pro 4.1 on the upgrade to Snow Leopard and the symptoms were the same.

hystery

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Japan
Many had similar issue with WiFi when Snow Leopard launched, myself included, and this fix worked for many;

1. Enter a new location - remember to go to the TCP/IP tab and Renew the DHCP Lease - seems to work for some.

2. Delete the contents of HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, Empty Trash and Reboot.

I dont have any issue with my MacBook Air on Lion, so I have no real experience of this fix on Lion, however it did work for me with a MacBook pro 4.1 on the upgrade to Snow Leopard and the symptoms were the same.

renewing DHCP lease fixed annoying problem! Thanks for sharing input.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I've seen this more than annoying behavior. Seemed like the connection dropped when there's no activity. A real fix from Apple will probably be necessary.

In the meantime, has anyone tried streaming a radio station to see if that keeps the connection alive?

mixman

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
Lion never recognizes my home network after sleep, even when it's listed. Needs to be re-selected always.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
hmm my MBA and MBP only takes about 5 second to reconnect to WiFi after waking up from sleep.
Havent seen any issues with it running on 10.7.1

hormelmeatcompa

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Have you tried the steps in post #16 of this thread? Worked for me.

I've tried that as well as many other things (changing IPv6 to local-link only, using a bash script to ping Google every 2 seconds to have some activity on the connection, etc.) but it still didn't work. I upgraded to Snow Leopard yesterday. Should have done that weeks ago :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.