Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calexico

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
So, about 6 months ago, a teacher returned me my 80gb iPod Video 5.5G that I had lost about 1.5 years ago in school. I took it home and used it for like a day, and then the iPod (I assumed the hard drive) started clicking. Then it turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I figured the hard drive was fried and just left it on my desk until now. Today I plugged it in to my computer (I had tried this before) and suddenly it says something like "Very low battery: Please wait". I changed the USB port and now it is on and syncing with my iTunes. So I'm very happy right now, but I have a question:

When the iPod stopped working, it was immediately after it had been clicking for a few hours. Is it possible that the clicking had anything to do with the battery or was this definitely a hard drive problem that may still be unresolved?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
It may have something to do with the battery, but it is likely something with the HDD itself. When a hard disk sits unused for a long period of time, it can begin to freeze up a bit, making it hard to spin up for a little while. I have this problem with retro computers. If it is working now, it should keep working. It probably just had a little trouble spinning up at first, making that clicking sound you heard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.