Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
My guess has always been that this was probably the time that the app was developed or when the iPhone was functioning for the first time.

73º is probably the wether of that day

Same goes for the Stock app, it originally showed July Aug and Sept. The story goes that Cingular/AT&T didn't see a working unit until December and the iPhone was not shown to the public until January 2007, so I am guessing that sometime between July and Sept 2006 is when they were starting to put the Hardware and the Software together (the rumored story is that the Hardware team and the Software team were separated and kept in the dark about what the other team was doing).

iphonehomescreen.jpg

Last edited:

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Analog clocks are usually displayed set at 10:10 so that the hands are spread out. It's more aesthetically pleasing that way.

Apple probably wanted to be a bit different, so they went with 10:15.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The 9:41 AM on the iPhone (not the clock app) is because of the time when Steve Jobs actually announced the iPhone. The Clock app time might be when Steve Jobs demonstrated the actual clock app to the audience.

The temperature on the Weather app is the temperature of that day.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
How come the icon for the calendar app can have the correct date but the clock and the weather apps have to one set time/temp?

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
How come the icon for the calendar app can have the correct date but the clock and the weather apps have to one set time/temp?

on the first iPhone the calendar app used to show, i believe it was July 9 and never change.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
on the first iPhone the calendar app used to show, i believe it was July 9 and never change.

It used to show Tuesday the 9th, the day the iPhone was introduced at MacWorld (Tuesday January 9, 2007), and the Calendar has always changed on the phone, but to promotional images always showed Tuesday the 9th.

Now promotional images for the iPhone 4 show Monday, June 7th, the day it was introduced at WWDC 2010.

kdarling

macrumors P6

The time would update every minute.

The weather would be updated every hour or three, or whenever you traveled to a different town.

Apple doesn't want us wasting battery on such things. Never mind that the time is already being updated on the status bar, or that background notifications use up more battery than the weather would.

OTOH, the date only changes once every 24 hours, so that's "okay".

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Yeah I'm gonna go with what someone else said on the thread:
10:15 AM is so the hands on the clock are spread apart and thus aesthetically pleasing. (I think 10:10 AM is supposed to be more aesthetically pleasing since it's symmetrical).

As for the temperature, 73 degrees is the average high temperature in Cupertino, CA for the entire year. (85 degrees is the average high in July and 60 degrees is the average high in January, which averages out to about 73 degrees). Source = TWC.

Personally, they should make those icons dynamic like the Calendar app. At least the weather app. If they allowed the developers to do that, it would be freaking amazing too. I'd love to see one of the App Store Stocks apps having 2 tickers of your choice being updated periodically on the home screen itself.

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
Just noticed that the UK icon set uses 23 instead of 73.

Good old Celsius. Much more sturdy than marking 100 points between the difference of a dodgy brine solution and someone's body temperature at a given time :p

Personally, they should make those icons dynamic like the Calendar app. At least the weather app. If they allowed the developers to do that, it would be freaking amazing too. I'd love to see one of the App Store Stocks apps having 2 tickers of your choice being updated periodically on the home screen itself.

Definitely need to make the weather app icon dynamic. Not sure I'd want it opened up to developers though; I can see the feature being abused. Apple would say that icons should be consistent to enforce the user experience, and it's very subjective to say whether all instances of an icon are consistent or not (though I suppose you can establish certain guidelines, such as not changing the background colour, only changing certain data etc.)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The time would update every minute.

The weather would be updated every hour or three, or whenever you traveled to a different town.

Apple doesn't want us wasting battery on such things. Never mind that the time is already being updated on the status bar, or that background notifications use up more battery than the weather would.

OTOH, the date only changes once every 24 hours, so that's "okay".

I once had a Jailbreak tweak that makes the clock icon live. Even the second hand moved. Don't think it used any data connection. The same with the weather icon which seemed to only update when the weather app was opened. Didn't see any noticeable drain in battery life.

The clock icon I can understand, who's really gonna try to use it to tell time. It's too small and especially in a folder. But a live weather icon by default would be nice.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The 9:41 AM on the iPhone (not the clock app) is because of the time when Steve Jobs actually announced the iPhone. The Clock app time might be when Steve Jobs demonstrated the actual clock app to the audience.

Yep, that is reportedly what Apple VP Scott Forstall said when asked about it:

“We design the keynotes so that the big reveal of the product happens around 40 minutes into the presentation. When the big image of the product appears on screen, we want the time shown to be close to the actual time on the audience’s watches. But we know we won’t hit 40 minutes exactly.”

“So you add a couple of minutes.”

“Yeah! And for the iPhone, we made it 42 minutes. It turned out we were pretty accurate with that estimate, so for the iPad, we made it 41 minutes. And there you are – the secret of the magic time.”

Whether that's true or if he was just pulling the guy's leg, we don't know.

Personally, I wonder if it was related to the Hitchhiker's Guide's Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything. Of course, that's the strange fact that 6 x 9 really equals 42 :)

(If you've never tried it, enter "the answer to life the universe and everything" without quotes into Google's search box and see what you get.)

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
i was always wondering the same thing.I suppose is the time,stocks temperature when they announced or finished the first iPhone

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I took the OP's question as rhetorical: As in why isn't it updating real-time? I'm sure iOS5 will bring this as well as many other modern touches to the OS.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

ICONS come in different flavors. Teh calendar ICON is active and shows the corrent date. The Temp and Clock ICONS are just pictures.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
ICONS come in different flavors. Teh calendar ICON is active and shows the corrent date. The Temp and Clock ICONS are just pictures.

Right, I was just wondering why they didn't change the icons to be active. Seems like a simple, no-brainer thing to do.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Analog clocks are usually displayed set at 10:10 so that the hands are spread out. It's more aesthetically pleasing that way.

Apple probably wanted to be a bit different, so they went with 10:15.

actually that is b.c the company logo usually goes in that spot and 10:10 makes it fit perfectly into that window :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.