Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
I have an iMac G3 400 Mhz (slot loading) and would like to upgrade the hard drive. It currently has a 10 Gb which, according to the system profile, runs on ATA protocol. I've researched the upgrade procedure online (it's lengthy!) and several sources have said to use an IDE drive. My question is. . which protocol is the right one to use?

Also, is there a limit to the HD size I can upgrade to? I know the old tray loaders need to have the HD paritioned if it's over 8 Gb, but I haven't run across any such limits on the slot loaders.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
-r

Bonsaichop

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2004
Wollongong, Australia
IDE is ATA, so to speak. They're one in the same drive. Just goto your local (insert computer store you like here) and pick up an (insert size)GB Ide hdd. Do not pick up a SATA drive, they will not work in your imac.

The easiest way to make sure its IDE and not SATA is that it should have 2 rows of pins about 2.5 inches long I cant remmeber but i think its 20 pins per row.Whereas the sata drives only have a little stub.

I don't think there are any issues with the slot loading imacs. This shouldnt be a problem.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Bonsaichop said:
IDE is ATA, so to speak. They're one in the same drive. Just goto your local (insert computer store you like here) and pick up an (insert size)GB Ide hdd. Do not pick up a SATA drive, they will not work in your imac.

The easiest way to make sure its IDE and not SATA is that it should have 2 rows of pins about 2.5 inches long I cant remmeber but i think its 20 pins per row.Whereas the sata drives only have a little stub.

I don't think there are any issues with the slot loading imacs. This shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks Bonsaichop.

I think I'm going to upgrade to an 80Gb hdd. They're pretty cheap these days and it will provide plenty of room for backup of my 12" PB. Additionally, I'm curious about how much the faster drive will speed up the iMac. I just hope I don't get on the inside and screw anything up. :rolleyes:

-r

Bonsaichop

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2004
Wollongong, Australia
rikers_mailbox said:
Thanks Bonsaichop.

I think I'm going to upgrade to an 80Gb hdd. They're pretty cheap these days and it will provide plenty of room for backup of my 12" PB. Additionally, I'm curious about how much the faster drive will speed up the iMac. I just hope I don't get on the inside and screw anything up. :rolleyes:

-r

Sounds good, i think all 80gig drives now are 7200 rpm. Might I suggest a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 or 7200.8 with 8mb cache. You'll notice a very nice speed bump plus these are one of (perhaps not the-but very close to being) the quietest drives around.

IIRC- the standard drives in those macs were 5400rpm with 2mb cache, you should notice a very nice speed bump.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.