Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
565 movies and counting... I usually get all my artwork just by googling it and then getting it from http://www.imdb.com. Just dragging it over into the artwork tab.

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 621

rdubya5

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
My Collection

Attached is part of my collection, all done with subler. I like to add the year to the end of the movie name and I take the small description from imdb.com (it's usually just a sentence or two and fits great in the small description area). All my artwork is exactly 1000x1500 pixels. I get the best looking artwork from either, themoviedb.org, getvideoartwork.com or http://bendodson.com/projects/itunes-tv-artwork/

I also remove the Actors, Screenwriters, Directors and such from the metadata. The results are a clean look on the apple tv. The image is bigger and it simply displays the description of the movie.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-09 at 7.40.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-08-09 at 7.40.30 PM.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:

jmbrown91

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Northampton, UK
RipIt

Hi,

Is there a setting in RipIt to only rip the 'Main Feature'?
When I tried it over the weekend it ripped the whole disc, about 6GB?! And would only open in 'DVDPlayer'.

TIA

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I also remove the Actors, Screenwriters, Directors and such from the metadata. The results are a clean look on the apple tv. The image is bigger and it simply displays the description of the movie.

Let me know what you think.

But for me removing such metadata removes so much flexibility such as playlists based on actors or directors. A smartplay list is a very handy thing, but it needs metadata to work best.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
For those not familar with PLEX thought you might like to see how it organizes movies. All of the artwork and description is pulled automatically by the application no need for any additional apps. You scroll left to right to see the rest of the library.
You can select by alphabet, year, recently added, unwatched and a host of other categories.

You just tell PLEX which directory the movie is in and it does everything else.

Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-15 at 8.14.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-08-15 at 8.14.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
How do you get the artwork, Title, Cast, Year, and other information of the movie when you rip from an original DVD?

I rip my DVD's but then I have to search for the artwork, and enter in the details, Author, Director, Year , cast etc, it is a pain in the butt.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
How do you get the artwork, Title, Cast, Year, and other information of the movie when you rip from an original DVD?

I rip my DVD's but then I have to search for the artwork, and enter in the details, Author, Director, Year , cast etc, it is a pain in the butt.

The Plex server does all the work for you it has a built in media scanner that gets all the metadata from freebase.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Mine....

While I like the features in Plex, such as it telling you what resolution the movie is and what the audio format is, I much prefer Boxee for its overall appearance. It does have some annoyances, but here's mine.

449 of them are HD. Some movies that I'm not really fussed about are 720p, the ones I really like, like The Adjustment Bureaux and Inception (to name just two) are 1080p. Since July '10, I haven't transcoded any of my movies for the Apple TV as it was just taking too long. I really hate the way iTunes and the Apple TV is limited to MP4 video without hacking. Hence the move to Boxee.

Disk space used is 3.84TB for the HD movies and 40GB's are SD. Thats not including the HD ones I have in MP4 format on the Apple TV. They obviously are 720p.

We originally only had a small HDTV and you couldn't tell the difference between SD and HD, but I knew that in the future we would get a larger TV, so I started upgrading our library from DVD to 720p (due to Apple TV). I used to have about 450 movies in iTunes that all worked on the Apple TV, but since then, I have upgraded all but about 40 movies to either 720p or 1080p as stated above.

pac

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-16 at 18.59.34.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-16 at 18.59.34.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 222

tallpaul

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
I've been using the iFlicks app, very good and very easy to use, was able to retro tag 100s of movies and Tv shows quite quickly as it creates a new copy of the movie and can trash the old one

Available on App store €15

Works much better than Metax

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM

Alternatively to Plex, iDentify is a very good tagging application. I never touched MetaX again and know that Plex can't properly tag a good chunk of my movies and TV shows (TV shows I still tag manually via iTunes) from experience.

There's a free, legal version of iDentify on the internet (google it), but paying the $9.99 for it unlocks some extra features you may or may not use. Plus, bulk tagging an iTunes library is very easy; just highlight the movies you want to tag in iTunes and drag them into the iDentify window. If iDentify has trouble finding metadata for your movie, you can go to imdb.com and copy the tt## part from the URL and give it to iDentify, which will then get you the metadata you need. Doing the drag and drop method I described did not break any of the links or videos in iTunes, either. For the record, I get by just fine with the unregistered edition.

sandyjmacdonald

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Does Plex and/or XBMC do movie playlists? That's something that really annoys about the Apple TV. iTunes will let me organise movies with smart playlists, but the Apple TV just ignores them. Scrolling through hundreds of movies to get to the one I want is a pain in the ass.

georgee2face

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
MetaX (it's mac only)

It is the best tagger ever... http://www.kerstetter.net/page53/page54/page54.html

metaX is not Mac only. They have a windoze vesions as well. The best thing about MetaX is its ability fto let you make a template to "batch" tag TV shows

----------

Does Plex and/or XBMC do movie playlists? That's something that really annoys about the Apple TV. iTunes will let me organise movies with smart playlists, but the Apple TV just ignores them. Scrolling through hundreds of movies to get to the one I want is a pain in the ass.

i don't know about Atv, but ATV2 has the ability to read playlists, as I organize my movies into the IMDB movie classification, and a seperate playlist for the current years movies . ATV2 sees it

sandyjmacdonald

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
I don't know about Atv, but ATV2 has the ability to read playlists, as I organize my movies into the IMDB movie classification, and a seperate playlist for the current years movies . ATV2 sees it.

Really? Where do you access them on your ATV2? I can't see them in either the movies section or the music section (where all of the other playlists are).

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
If you want to batch process all your videos in iTunes to convert them to ATV2, I can recommend VideoDrive .

step 1) Select your non-MP4 videos in iTunes
step 2) Check the checkbox under the black AppleTV in VideoDrive
step 3) Hit the "Copy Videos" button
step 4) It will start converting. The nice thing is, you can even use HandBrake as the conversion tool. This has nice results, but clearly, it's still slow to convert a lot of videos.

Also nice is that all your artwork and metadata is copied to the new files as well. I've used MetaX and iFlicks for a while, but VideoDrive is the most flexible. While it has a non-Maclike interface, it's very intuitive and fast to work with. It's also updated very frequently with new features, so I'm still happy with it.

I guess Apple will never support other formats than H.264 videos, so we are stuck with converting if you want to use the whole iTunes system and its iOs devices.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Really? Where do you access them on your ATV2? I can't see them in either the movies section or the music section (where all of the other playlists are).
When you go to Computers>Movies or TV Shows, and view them By Genre, By Date or By Movie, not Unwatched, Playlists should be your first option at the top of the list.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Just curious how long these take to encode and what hardware you have.

MacPro 2010 2.8 Quad 12G RAM

I use a two step process this is what I average for Bluray

1) MakeMKV removes the protection take about 20-30 minutes

2) iVi to take the .mkv file and make an AppleTV 720p video. This app gets all the tags, and artwork for the movie, then imports it into iTunes. ~ 2 Hours

----------

Look in the Mac app store for iVi it's like 4 dollars. I used to use handbrake to rip and Metax to tag... iVi does it all at once.

----------

Hi,

Is there a setting in RipIt to only rip the 'Main Feature'?
When I tried it over the weekend it ripped the whole disc, about 6GB?! And would only open in 'DVDPlayer'.

TIA

Run the ripit file through handbrake to extract the main feature... Ripit only removes the copy protection for the disc copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.