Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philbagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
As said in the title, I have an 5th Gen iPod Classic Video (30GB), and recently I placed it into a docking station (speakers) and since, it won't turn on. Every time I go to turn it on, it just stays on the black screen with the barely visible apple logo. I can hold down Menu+Select to reset it but it just turns off and back on to the eternal black screen with the barely visible apple. I've tried charging it, plugging it in via USB to my PC (doesn't see it), nothing works. I've even tried holding down play/pause+select to put it into disk mode but that does nothing. Any ideas?

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
anybody??
We have somewhat newer iPod classic that does the same thing. Tried connecting it to my PC with a wire, nothing. I just gave up on it, assumed the hard drive had STB. (I've also got an older Classic 5g but it's still fine).

philbagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Sorry to bump, but does anyone have any more ideas? Lost without my ipod here!

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
the hard drive is likely done with its earthly course. time to either upgrade, or replace the drive.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
When you reboot it, hold it up to your ear and see if you can hear the HDD spinning. If you can't, it's probably dead. In that case, it is time for a new HDD (iFixit, eBay, or search craigslist for one with a broken screen or something), or a new iPod.

Jambox

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
We have somewhat newer iPod classic that does the same thing. Tried connecting it to my PC with a wire, nothing. I just gave up on it, assumed the hard drive had STB. (I've also got an older Classic 5g but it's still fine).

Are you looking to sell your ipod classic. Ive been looking to buy one for parts but they run to expensive online. If you want name your price and i might consider. Just as long as it hasnt been dropped in water, previoulsy opend or tamperd with. mostly looking for the logic board to attempt to fix my own ipod classic. PM me if you like

ctgager37

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
When you reboot it, hold it up to your ear and see if you can hear the HDD spinning. If you can't, it's probably dead. In that case, it is time for a new HDD (iFixit, eBay, or search craigslist for one with a broken screen or something), or a new iPod.

I'm having the same problem but I CAN hear the HDD spinning....any ideas?

iBook_Clamshell

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
Wisconsin
What's really odd is that the docking station seemingly caused the problem. If I had the iPod, I would take out the HDD and put it in another random iPod I have and see if it's working, and then diagnose from there. From my experience, the 5th Gen Classics are sometimes finicky. They do have a really good sound chip though.
Let me know if you want me to look at it; I've done a lot of iPod repairs and upgrades, and I have iPods and parts laying around to test with. :)

Apples555

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Reset it (Menu + Button) then while it's starting enter diagnostics mode (Rew + Button). Run whichever tests you wish and check the HDD for SMART errors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.