Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For accounting majors and other Excel wizards, a numeric keypad is indispensable. Unfortunately, the Apple Wireless Keyboard that comes with iMacs these days doesn't have such a keypad. Mobee has come to the rescue with Magic Numpad, a temporary adhesive film that attaches to the Magic Trackpad and converts it into an extended numpad, a numpad + trackpad, or a numpad with user customizable keys.

The Magic Numpad includes software that is Lion and Snow Leopard compatible and could be a useful alternative to spending $49 on the Apple's full-size wired keyboard. It won't have the exact same tactile feedback as the keyboard, but for some users it might be just what they're looking for. Combined with the TwelveSouth MagicWand, it will (sort of) convert a wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad into a full-size wireless keyboard.

Article Link: Magic Numpad Turns a Magic Trackpad Into a Number Pad

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Huh, that's actually kind of neat. I wonder what the price point is though? I mean you can get a num pad for $20 or less at office max, might not be sleek and cool though :p

To be honest, if it doesn't have any texture to it, there'd be no reason to have to remove it, I could see it working just fine for each purpose!

Edit: It's $30. That's not bad I guess. Kind of a neat idea. I'll stick with my small portable one I got for next to nothing with a retractable USB cord. It's not shiny and aluminum, but it works and I can hide it's ugliness in a drawer when not in use.

booksix

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Useless. If you have to look at it instead of feel button separations it's pointless, as any 'accounting majors' or data entry workers (what I did years ago) will tell you. It's true a num pad it's worth it's weight in gold for speedy numbers but that's only if you can keep your eyes on the data and let your fingers do the keyboard work...

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If you have iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, save $30 and buy one of many apps that turns iOS devices into numeric keypad, such as NumPad.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
If you have iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, save $30 and buy one of many apps that turns iOS devices into numeric keypad, such as NumPad.

Yup, that's what I have. Works just fine for me.

And if you don't have the Magic Trackpad to begin with, thats actually $100 you're saving :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It’s neat, but Bluetooth numpads are cheap and common, and don’t interfere with your pointing device!

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Wireless keyboard - $70
Magic Trackpad - $70
Twelve South Magic Wand - $20
This crap - $30
Estimated total - $190

Wired keyboard with numpad - $50

By god, this product saves you -$140!! Amazing!!

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Cool concept, but I fail to see the practicality of it, esp. if you the trackpad is your sole tracking device, plus you have to keep up with the overlay. Also if you are a hard core number cruncher, where the num pad is key, then this fails because you have to look at the numbers vs using tactile memory w/ a real keypad. If you are a causal number cruncher then the regular numbers on the keyboard are fine.

mrzeigler

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Useless. If you have to look at it instead of feel button separations it's pointless, as any 'accounting majors' or data entry workers (what I did years ago) will tell you. It's true a num pad it's worth it's weight in gold for speedy numbers but that's only if you can keep your eyes on the data and let your fingers do the keyboard work...

Hey, all you gotta do is add a dab of rubber cement over where the 5 is, and all's good ... until you need to use the track pad as a track pad.

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doubt that the accuracy is as good as for a regular numeric pad. Any tests/benchmarks out there?

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005

Not sure what you're basing your opinion on coz I punch a crap load of numbers into excel sheets everyday and I have absolutely zero issues when using the iPod touch with NumPad instead of my regular keyboard. It takes a little while to get used to the fact that there is no tactile feedback anymore but there is no real need to keep looking at the iPod once you get used to it. I still prefer the physical numpad but thats mostly coz I dont have a way to keep my iPod flat on the table (thanks to the curved back) so it wobbles a bit unless I keep it on a sheet of paper/cloth. And I already have a wired keyboard with full numpad anyways. But on occasions when I dont have access to the full keyboard, numpad does the job pretty well for me.

That said, this magic numpad thing is completely useless coz you'll need to keep switching between numpad and trackpad.

NeedMoreVideo

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
So they reinvented this except with no tactile feedback?

I can only imagine how much my fingertips would hurt after doing a few hours of serious calculations on that thing...

Too bad apple does not make serious keyboards anymore :(

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doubt that the accuracy is as good as for a regular numeric pad. Any tests/benchmarks out there?

Yep it gets 11000 in geekbench

aoifeee

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2011
To be honest I'd prefer something with push down buttons so it's easier to type without looking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.