Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
So I was playing HL2 without problems (besides some long load times) yesterday and now if I want to play any game in my Steam Library I'm getting a quick "Validating Steam Files" message and it jumps up to 100% in a second. I try to validate under properties too, but this validates the game not "Steam Files" and causes about the same effect. It validates up to 20 or so % before jumping to 100%. (Auto validate jumps from 0-100). So far I've tried restartingand deleting, and re-downloading the game files. Nothing seems to be working. Should I just remove everything Steam Related and redownload everything(would like to save my HL2 Svaed game), or what? Sometimes I also get the servers too busy message too. One more thing, I can't play any installed games offline(HL2, Portal. Is this normal? It just tells me it needs to be online to play and then it jumps straight to the validating window.

casualpeanut420

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
So I was playing HL2 without problems (besides some long load times) yesterday and now if I want to play any game in my Steam Library I'm getting a quick "Validating Steam Files" message and it jumps up to 100% in a second. I try to validate under properties too, but this validates the game not "Steam Files" and causes about the same effect. It validates up to 20 or so % before jumping to 100%. (Auto validate jumps from 0-100). So far I've tried restartingand deleting, and re-downloading the game files. Nothing seems to be working. Should I just remove everything Steam Related and redownload everything(would like to save my HL2 Svaed game), or what? Sometimes I also get the servers too busy message too. One more thing, I can't play any installed games offline(HL2, Portal. Is this normal? It just tells me it needs to be online to play and then it jumps straight to the validating window.
I hear you man..i just sent a very professional and demanding support letter to steam...so ill let you know what their solution is.
cheers

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
This starting happening to my wife yesterday on Windows but only with TF2. All other games worked fine. Not sure if it has resolved itself yet or not but it isn't limited to just Mac at this point.

256bit

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Delete the .gcf files for affected games. Excuse the possibility that I am most likely wrong, but I am really, really tired right no-zZzZZzzz....

EDIT: OK if you are getting the "too busy" errors it is almost DEFINITELY .gcfs

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I deleted everything and reinstalled (including steam) seems to work for now.

The Macster

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Delete the .gcf files for affected games. Excuse the possibility that I am most likely wrong, but I am really, really tired right no-zZzZZzzz....

EDIT: OK if you are getting the "too busy" errors it is almost DEFINITELY .gcfs

Just had the validating plus the "too busy problem ( and I have deleted all my games plus steam) What should I do?, I was going to try the .gcf but I cannot find them any help?

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
I had a similar issue with L4D2. After a lot of poking around (my Google-Fu is strong), I found a solution that fixed the problem; obviously, you'll need to make the appropriate changes for the game you're trying to play. I've C&P'd from the original thread:

1) deleted L4D2 off the computer. Then I attempted to download it again, but kept getting "servers too busy."

2) Quit Steam

3) (home)/Library/Application Support/Steam --> renamed ClientRegistry.blob to 'oldClientRegistry.blob'

4) (home)/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps

5) removed ALL L4D2 .ncf files (I'm showing 3 total files). This included emptying the recycle bin

6) Restart Steam & the download.

Since I did that, I've had no problems with the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.