Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Because older version doesn't run on Lion, I bought PD6 on July 22. Paid immediately after an hour of trial run. Now I have to pay another $50. Customers got punished because they liked the product so much, didn't hold up until Aug.1…Ridiculous! I can't get free update just because I paid 8 days earlier! !?? It's so mean to make older versions incompatible and force people pay them over and over again!

And you know why they picked up August 1? Because, their return policy says:

Today is Sep 1. Exactly a month! Got it? If they make the date Aug 2, people could ask for refund, and buy P7 instead of paying upgrade fee.

They make it Aug 1 so there's no way you can ask for refund.

Parallels should give free update to everyone who bought P6 after Lion's release date!

I just wrote a complaint. I suggest we keep complaining. If they get too many complaints, I'm sure their upgrade policy will change.

So you're saying Parallels has targetted YOU and specifically released Parallels 7 30 days after you bought in order to keep you down and get another $50 upgrade fee? Sounds plausible. </sarcasm>

----------

So good I waited. I believed the new version would come between september and october.

No full screen support? It would be so cool to have Windows 7 on a space.

No full screen support? Seems like a basic feature to omit...gotta be in there. Or are you refering to OSX 10.7's "full screen" (tm) and not full screen?

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Confused? When is version 7 ready for download?

Has anyone downloaded Parallels Desktop version 7 yet or do we have to wait until September 6 before it is available?

When I go to buy the $79 version, Parallels 6 is put into my shopping cart.

K42

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010
Europe
OSX Lion on an ugly box?

Makes me wonder whether VMWare would ever produce a VMWare player (or full product) that allows running Lion on a big windows box (*).

Might be an alternative to waiting for an updated Mac Pro.

Oh well, just kidding. Were's my sense of aesthetics?

Edit: (*) without going the hackintosh way that is...

Last edited:

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Has anyone downloaded Parallels Desktop version 7 yet or do we have to wait until September 6 before it is available?

When I go to buy the $79 version, Parallels 6 is put into my shopping cart.

I believe the article stated it would be ready Sept 6th.

castlema

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2003
What is mentioned in that article is that the EULA was changed to allow LION client to be virtualized, not SNOW LEOPARD client.

What I need, before I switch to Lion, is to be able to virtualize Snow Leopard so I can run a few apps that require Rosetta. Some of those apps have no upgrade path to Lion and they are essential to my business, so I'm stuck using SL.

May of us in the education world are in the same predicament. I have many programs which are vital to me and for which there is no (nor is there ever likely to be a) Cocoa version produced. I cannot use a different program because these are so specialized that there was only the one program ever. I even sent Tim Cook an email, in hopes that he might read it, pleading for the Snow Leopard EULA to be modified to allow SL to run in virtualization within Lion. If that change never happens I will just have to partition my drive, when and if I even upgrade to Lion, so that I can still use these programs.

I know all about old software. I have a gravity sim that I use that was never updated to run under OS X at all so I still need to keep a machine that can boot into Tiger.

wallny

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
So you're saying Parallels has targetted YOU and specifically released Parallels 7 30 days after you bought in order to keep you down and get another $50 upgrade fee? Sounds plausible. </sarcasm>

return policy: 30 days=time window from Aug1 to Sep1.

got it?

free upgrade window=return window, not a coincidence.

this is the best they can do, to force people pay for upgrade.
If they pick up a date, say, Aug 20, it's better for Parallels because they'll have more people ineligible for free upgrade, more people will pay $50.
but that's not possible, because instead of paying $50 fee, people who bought after August 1 could ask for refund, then purchase a new P7, saving $50 upgrade fee.

Understand what i mean?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Parallels might have intentionally delayed release just to get people outside the 30 day return window for those that purchased 6 at Lion release.

But long term Parallels customers should know better -- there has been a new release shortly after every new OS X version since Parallels first came out.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
VirtualBox is a quite cost-effective (i.e. free :)) alternative for those who want to run a Windows, Linux or Solaris guest OS on a Lion host. Seems to interface nicely with USB devices (though I haven't had a change, yet, to test it with an external Blu-ray drive)

Eh, I've tried VBox a couple different times, and didn't like. You're limited to like 256MB of video memory, and it apparently doesn't support widescreen resolutions, or even the windows aero UI. Also when right clicking for a menus, it flickers and sometimes doesn't even showup correctly.

I want to know if Parallels 7 would recognize an SLI video card setup when running windows. That would kick ass big time. Or perhaps at least have the ability to assign 1 graphics card to Parallels, and the other to OS X. :cool:

LeiQQ

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Taipei, Taiwan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

wol said:
VirtualBox is a quite cost-effective (i.e. free :)) alternative for those who want to run a Windows, Linux or Solaris guest OS on a Lion host. Seems to interface nicely with USB devices (though I haven't had a change, yet, to test it with an external Blu-ray drive)

I like free!! I want to try this because I have a version of spss stats software I bought years back and I refuse to upgrade to the latest version that costs over $1000!!! I can download win 7 for free from my uni website. Sweet.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Death is Inevitable

Exactly! When will Apple acknowledge there are users out there that require Rosetta for some old apps? It's not rocket science to realise that people have old files that need old software to open them!

All of your files will one day be unreadable.

All of your applications will one day be unrunnable.

All of your hardware will one day be unusable.

You have two options:
1. Rage, rage, against the dieing of the versions. Be annoyed. Create and sign on-line petitions to revive unsupported software. Be more annoyed.

2. Prepare for the inevitable.

craigijohno

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Brisbane, QLD Australia
VM Mac on a Mac

So basically you'd use this Lion VM option if you REALLY hate the speed at which your OS runs and just need it to be slower.
Seriously though until Apple lets us put more than 8GB of RAM into our MBP's this is just not worth it. Tried running 3DS MAX over a Parallels with Win7 and the whole system just ground to a shuddering halt. Need more memory.

Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

----------

No full screen support? Seems like a basic feature to omit...gotta be in there. Or are you refering to OSX 10.7's "full screen" (tm) and not full screen?

I mean Lions full screen mode for apps. I hope Parallels 7 has it so that the windows window app can be set as a whole space on mission control.

One swipe to the left and you got Windows 7. One swipe to the right and you got Mac OS X.

How cool is that?

Has anyone confirmed this is possible?

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Depends on your definition of "better"

VMWare is updated less often which means that it doesnt always have some of the cutting edge features(for instance you still cannot virtualize Lion on it yet), but at least in my experience it is significantly more stable and performs better to boot. However since I do not virtualize Windows, I virtualize Leopard Server and Linux, and dont do any graphics stuff on either platform YMMV.

Interesting - I have Lion running in a VM on Fusion on my Mac. In fact, I bought Lion and installed it in Fusion before I actually upgraded the whole machine so I could test some software under Lion and just get a feel for it. There was a useful guide I found on how to make a bootable disc image of Lion that would work in Fusion so it wasn't as simple as it would be with full support, but it certainly can be done.

I also have Leopard and Snow Leopard VMs running - there is a 'modification' for VMware that takes out the test for server and allows you to install those with no trouble from the standard install disc. I do this so I can test our software on all our supported Mac platforms, including doing clean resets with snapshots. This is in addition to the usual Linux and Windows VMs I also have.

I switch to Fusion from Parallels last year and haven't looked back. Parallels was always a bit twitchy for my liking and Fusion allows me to boot, run and share any VMWare image (except Mac OS X) I might have kicking about.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
This raises an interesting question for me. I purchased the full Windows 7 Ultimate for my PC many months ago, and if I want to install Windows 7 on my mac mini to use with Parallels, do I have to repurchase Windows 7? Am I only allowed to run a single copy of Windows 7 per license if it's in this type of format?

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
I'm installing it now. Have a licence for Version 5 only, but did a clean install of Lion and left it off (because 5 doesn't work on Lion). You download and install version 7, it asks for the key, then a splash screen asks for the serial to your earlier version. Then it does its thing.

Then I put a disc I made of Lion in the optical drive and it is sucking that into itself to make a virtual Lion machine. Why? because I decided to keep Lion as simple as possible but now I can have another version of Lion with all my crapware and zillions of photo apps I bought but never used, just a click n launch away.

Plus, I was really bored tonight...

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Can anyone confirm whether or not Parallels works with Vista Business 32-bit? I can't seem to get Parallels Tools to install...always ends with rolling back to pre-installed config (e.g. no tools). Parallels' website mentions "Vista 32-bit" but doesn't specify "business" or not. Thanks.

Sylonien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
"- Up to 1GB of video memory, for ultra-high resolutions"

so is the whole 1Gb vs. 2Gb VRAM debate anything relevant going on here for the iMac?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'm installing it now. Have a licence for Version 5 only, but did a clean install of Lion and left it off (because 5 doesn't work on Lion). You download and install version 7, it asks for the key, then a splash screen asks for the serial to your earlier version. Then it does its thing.

Then I put a disc I made of Lion in the optical drive and it is sucking that into itself to make a virtual Lion machine. Why? because I decided to keep Lion as simple as possible but now I can have another version of Lion with all my crapware and zillions of photo apps I bought but never used, just a click n launch away.

Plus, I was really bored tonight...

Mine is installing Lion inside a VM using the MBA restore facility, which is downloading a copy of Lion from Apple's servers. Pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.