Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

n94_fcc_id.png

As the puzzle of Apple's next-generation iPhone codenamed "N94" begins to come together in the form of what has been dubbed the "iPhone 4S", the latest iOS 5 Beta 7 released earlier this week provides more confirmation that Apple is unsurprisingly moving towards a release.

One of the new files included in the latest update is called RegulatoryInfo-N94AP@2x~iphone.png, showing the regulatory data for the N94 iPhone as viewed through Settings > General > About > Regulatory on the device.

According to the new file, the unreleased N94 iPhone has been assigned a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ID of BCG-E2430A. This compares to the BCG-E2380A identifier on the GSM iPhone 4 and the BCG-E2422A identifier on the CDMA iPhone 4.

The device has yet to show up in the FCC's equipment authorization database, although those entries generally do not appear until the day the products are announced. Even then, Apple typically requests that some of the more sensitive documents such as photos of device internals be considered confidential and thus kept from public view for a period of time.

Article Link: 'N94' iPhone Gains an FCC ID: BCG-E2430A

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Oh boy, I'm all excited. :)

I know this is stupid, but would anyone else find it cool to call the iPhones "N94" 95 and so forth?

I guess I'm bored lol but at least this puts to rest the opinions that the N94 is pure prototype not set for release.

Edit:

Didn't Nokia already have some phones called the N94 and N95 etc :p

Dammit tann, that was the joke.

Last edited:

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK

I know this is stupid, but would anyone else find it cool to call the iPhones "N94" 95, 96 and so forth?

I guess I'm bored lol but at least this puts to rest the opinions that the N94 is pure prototype not set for release.

Didn't Nokia already have some phones called the N94 and N95 etc :p

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
By "4S" they mean the cheaper version of the iphone 4 and not the "iphone 5" rumor'd to launch alongside the cheaper one this fall? Right?

maliceM3

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010

I know this is stupid, but would anyone else find it cool to call the iPhones "N94" 95, 96 and so forth?

It's not stupid.

I'm a BMW aficionado and cars can become even more confusing than phones. The 3 series has evolved by chassis codes E21, E30, E36, E46, E90 (E90= sedan, E91= wagon, E92= coupe, E93= convertible). It's so much easier than saying the year or just 325, 328, 330, 335, etc. It would make more sense on Macrumors than saying it to your friend. :p

Woops Nokia... oh well!

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
By "4S" they mean the cheaper version of the iphone 4 and not the "iphone 5" rumor'd to launch alongside the cheaper one this fall? Right?

Unclear whether the "4S" is the fall release iPhone, as an updated 4, or whether there will be a 4S at a lower price point and something newer/better as well.

mrelwood

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
If the 4S is the only thing announced, Apple has some explaining to do on why it took them so long to update only the camera and CPU.

Then again, could it be that when the 4S is announced, totally revamped LTE iPhone 5 will also be announced to be published later this year?

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think the delay was icloud.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've always thought they wanted iOS5, iCloud and the iP5 to be released at the same time also. It's just my own personal guess. :)

vnowarita

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I love my e39!!

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

It wasn't, it was the iPad, they needed to release a new os for it and gave some engineers for it thus pushing back both the iPhone 5 and ios5 which will launch together like past iPhones.

X-rated

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
When are people going to realize there will NOT be an iPhone 5, it will be the 4S. How may years in a row do we get ourselves pumped up for big things with apple and they only go so far. This will be another year for that. :mad:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I love my e39!!

The e39 M5 I loved.. though I always wanted a phoenix gold E46 M3

vnowarita

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008

Love the e46 as well. I have put 100k on my 03 540 and still love it as much as the day I bought it. I have the dice unit to play music on iPhone(had to keep it on topic)

SmileyDude

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
MA
I'm curious as well if this is the next gen iPhone or if there is another iPhone model referenced in the firmware as well.

It is quite possible that other models will be released at the same time. There is nothing saying that Apple couldn't withhold the device specific files from a build.

I would be a little disappointed to find out that the next iPhone is only a camera and CPU change for the most part. But it won't be the end of the world if it is. That said, I'm looking forward to finding out more soon.

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
When are people going to realize there will NOT be an iPhone 5, it will be the 4S. How may years in a row do we get ourselves pumped up for big things with apple and they only go so far. This will be another year for that. :mad:

When are people going to realize there will NOT be any proof of anything. How many years in a row do we get ourselves pumped up for big things with apple and they only go so far. This MIGHT be another year for that....

There is a reason it's called macRUMORS. Nobody knows, no use getting frustrated. That is unless you are an apple exec telling us that there won't be an iPhone 5.

ULFoaf

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
The Bayou City, USA
I really hope they do not release an upgraded '4S' in Sept and then come out with an iPhone 5 a few months later. No way to know this, of course! A lot of us are eagerly waiting to replace a three year old iPhone 3G. Unlikely, though. They'd probably wait until at least spring 2012 to release a new one after a '4S' release. I admit I do not want to wait that long!

Maybe the suspected iPhone 5 will show up for FCC approval soon also.

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
When the iPhone 4 came out, what was the list price for an upgrade? Right now it's 199 USD, but I'm wondering if the price came down to that or if it started out there. I've used two updates in a row purchasing the cheapest iPhone offered (broke student, after all), and that's how I'm currently stuck with a 3G. Not a 3GS, but a 3G. Total piece.

Anyway, I'm due for an upgrade but I'm holding out to see what comes out. I'm wondering if the iPhone 5 will be $199 or more expensive at first... It would be nice to replace the 3G with something top of the line for a change! But if not, this mystery "4S" might be the way to go.

In any case, glad to see something is getting nearer release... I really, really hate my current phone.

odvan

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
I've always thought they wanted iOS5, iCloud and the iP5 to be released at the same time also. It's just my own personal guess. :)

Well I'm a bit pessimistic with all this news. Yeah, to cover absence of the new iphone they could focus on new great iOS5 and iCloud features.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
When the iPhone 4 came out, what was the list price for an upgrade? Right now it's 199 USD, but I'm wondering if the price came down to that or if it started out there. I've used two updates in a row purchasing the cheapest iPhone offered (broke student, after all), and that's how I'm currently stuck with a 3G. Not a 3GS, but a 3G. Total piece.

Anyway, I'm due for an upgrade but I'm holding out to see what comes out. I'm wondering if the iPhone 5 will be $199 or more expensive at first... It would be nice to replace the 3G with something top of the line for a change! But if not, this mystery "4S" might be the way to go.

In any case, glad to see something is getting nearer release... I really, really hate my current phone.

With a 2 year commitment, the iPhone 4 has been $199 since it came out. However, I did see here in PA, that Verizon and AT&T both offer the iPhone4 for only $149 now on a two year contract. So, they have lowered the price in anticipation of the new 4s and 5 coming out (assuming we're getting both).

CHRONiC YOUTH

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
Eh.. Hopefully another phone shows up soon also or else it looks like the main focus of the next iPhone is gonna be software with a moderate hardware update :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.