Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
This is a horrible choice for a new apple store in London!!!

Apple should really consider the Shard of london

A cube-shaped, all glass apple store inside the shard!

It is also 10mins walk from me :D

-would be the first apple store in London south of the thames,
Next to London Bridge Station - bringing Apple products to millions more in the South/South-East

Attachments

• 800px-Shard_London_Bridge_night_and_day.jpg
    800px-Shard_London_Bridge_night_and_day.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 101

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Is it just me or does this building look like the famous apartment building in new york that looks like a triangle?

Are you talking about the Flat Iron building? No way. The only similarity here is the photo's perspective (corner)- which is usually the only way the Flat Iron building is photographed to showcase its slim profile. They look nothing alike.

MartinAW

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2011
England
It may surprise you ignorant yanks, but it's never grey and foggy here....

Maybe get off your couch and visit place that doesn't sell fast food once in a while.

At first I thought you were being serious, and then I saw you said there its never grey and foggy here... Now I am just confused :confused:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Cheapside...... :D

Quick history lesson:

"Cheap" is actually an old english word meaning Market, so Cheapside effectively meant "Market street".

With the Norman conquest in 1066 (which this street pre-dates), various French words were integrated into the language such as "Marché", which became "Market" in modern english.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
It may surprise you ignorant yanks, but it's never grey and foggy here....

Maybe get off your couch and visit place that doesn't sell fast food once in a while.

How ironic - Spouting off about one overly moronic generalization with another.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
and what is the deal with "sunlight regulations"
p324697530.gif

was that in George Orwell's 1984 book?

henryhbk

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
This is a horrible choice for a new apple store in London!!!

Apple should really consider the Shard of london

A cube-shaped, all glass apple store inside the shard!

It is also 10mins walk from me :D

-would be the first apple store in London south of the thames,
Next to London Bridge Station - bringing Apple products to millions more in the South/South-East

Not sure that putting an all glass building in a place called "The Shard" is a good idea. Sort of like putting a gas station on Burning Tree Lane, Garland, TX. Just sounds like a karma based disaster in the making... :rolleyes:

puma25uk

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
UK
looking at the rendering, it seems more like some other building on the other side is stealing the sunlight from the new store - there is a big shadow on the building

That's where they'll display the iPads. The shadow is deliberate to avoid overheating :p

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
slow your roll there mate ;)

out west there are some water laws that are seemingly out there lol

something along the lines where you are not allowed to collect it, the water must be allowed to run off (down the hill, etc).

edit: The more I read about the light law though, the more I like it. I was too quick to judge :D

Last edited:

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Why should Apple be exempt from access to light regulations?

Apple's store is at ground level, so if they built a 1 story building to just house the store there would be no sunlight problems. It is the many stories of offices above the ground floor that block the sunlight for the neighbours. It is the building owner's problem, not Apple's. Apple can just rent somewhere else.

But, I like the building's look, so hope the city goes along with the owner and blocks the neighbours' objections.

macadam212

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
The City of London AKA the square mile is an interesting place, it has a protected medieval street pattern with one of the highest concentration of tall building within Greater London area. This is a real challenge for developers in the area where the building are getting higher and higher, but the street layout is a winding maze and is anything but straight. So daylight is a real issue.

Not sure that putting an all glass building in a place called "The Shard" is a good idea. Sort of like putting a gas station on Burning Tree Lane, Garland, TX. Just sounds like a karma based disaster in the making... :rolleyes:

The Building I was tailing about, is called the Shard of London, due it its appearance resembling a shard of glass... duh!

The Glass Building, called the Shard, is almost complete! What i was stating, was that apple shoud base their third Inner London Apple Store here, since it is already an iconic building, and the tallest in the EU

The name of the surrounding area is London Bridge. The Building comprises of: Offices, Luxury 5* Hotel, Penthouse Apartments (Tallest in Europe) and a shopping arcade for luxury goods! An applestore at the Shard would not only be aesthetically beautiful, but revolutionary!

Maybe you should understand what you are commenting about, and engage your brain before you roll those eyes!

Google: Shard of London

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
Ugly, why would Apple want to move into a building like that? Another architect with bad taste, horrid.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheapside

"Cheapside is the former site of one of the principal produce markets in London, cheap broadly meaning "market" in medieval English"

Quick history lesson:

"Cheap" is actually an old english word meaning Market, so Cheapside effectively meant "Market street".

With the Norman conquest in 1066 (which this street pre-dates), various French words were integrated into the language such as "Marché", which became "Market" in modern english.

I didn't ask for a History lesson, I just find it amusing what the streets name signals in Modern English.

Hell there used to be a "Gropecunt Lane" in Victorian times that was a Haven for prostitutes.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Is it just me or does this building look like the famous apartment building in new york that looks like a triangle?

The Flat Iron Building in NYC. I believe it is both commercial and residential.

Wondering - why is MultiMediaWill post down voted?? :confused:

Is it because someone dared to suggest that something that :apple: did is not totally original?? :eek:

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
quit an ugly building, one of those that falls out of style after a year and is then hated for decades before being torn down

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.