Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I was just a bit curious if MacRumors kept statistics on how many times we have been up/down voted since that feature has been implemented?

I know that I have definitely been down voted, but I feel like my up votes are always much higher in comparison, so I would be curious what mine, and maybe others, scores look like.

Thanks

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
No, they aren't tracked by user although the data is in the database if somebody wrote suitable software to use it for something.

We've heard various suggestions for uses of the vote information, but so far it's used only to select posts to show on individual news story pages, using a complex secret formula.

Don't tell anyone, but the secret formula is number_of_positive_votes - number_of_negative_votes.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Don't tell anyone, but the secret formula is

Your secret is safe with me.

I have a curious mind and I've seen stats posted here of how people ranked (on a 6th month basis) based on overall post count, and stats on how many times the report button is used and for what reasons. So I just wondered if the down/up votes were also tracked.

So thanks for your reply.

a few weeks ago on the iPhone forum a user managed to get -143 votes before the thread was sent to wasteland, so since then I've been wondering (I think it would be interesting to see that information).

We've heard various suggestions for uses of the vote information

I know their are threads already of people asking to get rid of the voting system, and I personally don't have any major issue with it. But it does bug me when a user will up vote their own replies.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
EDITORIAL INTRODUCTION: I hate starting new threads, especially for something as pointless as my next statement so enjoy seeing this one ripped from its grave - the earliest mention that I could find on "Up Votes"

Hi all, I joined this forum two decades ago and by my incredible rounded-up maths, it means I post about once every three days on average. About 12 years ago MacRumours introduced upvoting, which have gone by many names and iterations over the years.

I just wanted to announce the momentous occasion that as of yesterday, my post count and up-vote count have finally reached parity. I now have more up-votes than posts and I can confidently say that I am now at peace with the world.

Thank you one-and-all for the thumbs up, you will always be in my emoji heart.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
EDITORIAL INTRODUCTION: I hate starting new threads, especially for something as pointless as my next statement so enjoy seeing this one ripped from its grave - the earliest mention that I could find on "Up Votes"

Hi all, I joined this forum two decades ago and by my incredible rounded-up maths, it means I post about once every three days on average. About 12 years ago MacRumours introduced upvoting, which have gone by many names and iterations over the years.

I just wanted to announce the momentous occasion that as of yesterday, my post count and up-vote count have finally reached parity. I now have more up-votes than posts and I can confidently say that I am now at peace with the world.

Thank you one-and-all for the thumbs up, you will always be in my emoji heart.
You're almost rivalling me with the thread necromancy...

Reactions: iZac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.