Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Hey all,

I've got a flash drive with Lion installed on one partition set as OS X Journaled, and the second partition just as general storage (FAT) OS X reads the drive fine allowing access to both, but Windows 7 won't show either partition.

Anyone got any ideas how to solve this? Obviously it'll never read the journaled partition but I would have expected it to read the FAT partition...

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
You may need to assign it a drive letter. Try this:

• Right click on Computer, click manage
  • Chose the disk management snap-in
  • Find the partition in the diagram at the bottom
  • Right click, assign drive letter, click ok

It should now appear in Computer.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
You may need to assign it a drive letter. Try this:

• Right click on Computer, click manage
  • Chose the disk management snap-in
  • Find the partition in the diagram at the bottom
  • Right click, assign drive letter, click ok

It should now appear in Computer.

I'll try that in a bit - but this is consistent across a number of machines - would I have to do this on each machine?

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Are you using Windows XP or earlier? If so, it's possible your flash drive is using a GUID Partition Table and if it is WinXP cannot read that.

• What you need to do is copy everything off the drive
  • Open Disk Utility
  • Remove and re-create all your partitions with a MBR Partition Table (Partition Tab>Options>MBR)
  • Copy your data back
Also for flash drives I would used "Mac OS X Extended" instead of "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)".

-------

If this doesn't work post back and well mess around with diskpart in Windows.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Are you using Windows XP or earlier? If so, it's possible your flash drive is using a GUID Partition Table and if it is WinXP cannot read that.

• What you need to do is copy everything off the drive
  • Open Disk Utility
  • Remove and re-create all your partitions with a MBR Partition Table (Partition Tab>Options>MBR)
  • Copy your data back
Also for flash drives I would used "Mac OS X Extended" instead of "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)".

-------

If this doesn't work post back and well mess around with diskpart in Windows.

Windows 7. Can't avoid the GUID and Journaled as I want to be able to boot from it - it's only a pet project on a spare flash drive so worst case I don't boot from it...just be nice if I could :)

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Ah, your running Windows 7. That's very odd you can't see any of the volumes when plugging it in.

Did you try what AdrianK said, are all your partitions listed for the drive in question?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.