Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Started up the computer today, and tried dragging a file to trash can. Suddenly it asked me for admin password. After I typed it in, the file was automatically deleted. Is there a way to "fix" this to the usual way the files are treated when they're moved to trash?

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Sounds like a permissions problem to me.

You can run a permissions repair from Disk Utility or :

You can just open up Finder press Shift+Command+G and it should bring up the Go to Folder dialog. Enter this in: "~/.Trash" without the quotes and then click Go.

Now go to File->Get Info and then scroll down to the bottom when it says Sharing and Permissions. Look for your name. If it says "Read Only", then click on the little lock at the bottom, enter your password and then change it to "Read and Write". I think that will fix it.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Sounds like a permissions problem to me.

You can run a permissions repair from Disk Utility or :

You can just open up Finder press Shift+Command+G and it should bring up the Go to Folder dialog. Enter this in: "~/.Trash" without the quotes and then click Go.

Now go to File->Get Info and then scroll down to the bottom when it says Sharing and Permissions. Look for your name. If it says "Read Only", then click on the little lock at the bottom, enter your password and then change it to "Read and Write". I think that will fix it.

Whenever I try that command, it tells me that I can't go to the folder because I do not have permission to see it's contents. How do I fix that?

EDIT: Just found this forum and one of the longer posts fixed my problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.