Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm curious if that 7.7" tablet is 16:10 or a little wider. They'll have a winner there if it is a wider screen ratio than the typical 7" tablets, but still at $329 or less in price.

Not a chance at that price range. It has same tech including 3G, but includes an even bigger higher res super amoled display than the Galaxy S2. None of that is cheap, and Samsung are not going down HP's route of selling it's hardware below cost.

Realistically, This will be minimum of $450-500 unsubsidized for 16gb, any less and it will be tied to a 12-24 month carrier data contract.

Also...

Giving consumers so much choice is not necessarily a good thing, it often can paralyze them into making no choice by causing large amounts of indecision.

Do I go for the 10", no maybe too big I'll go for the 8.9 but oh it's got a 1.2 dual core and the 7.7 has a 1.4 which is better than the 10" so maybe I should go for the 7.7", but it may be too small so back to the 8.9 or 10" but they don't have super amoled, maybe I should go for the 5" as it has a stylus, but wait I need a tablet not a phone with an identity crisis, so back to the 10" but it's not..... etc.... It's fractured and confusing.

If you get it right, you should be able to do it with one size, two at the very most. The plethora that samung is turning out is too much, not only are they competing against other tablet manufactures in the android marketplace, but with so much choice they are fighting with themselves.

Customer general apathy to Android tablets and other tablets (playbook etc..) is less to do with the size of the device, but the lack of interest and buzz for Honeycomb and other OS's. They need to provide a reason to go Android over iOS tablet - rather than just throw every frickin sized slate onto the market in the vein hopes that one succeeds.

And yes I am a galaxy s2 owner before ye go voting me down for talking logically. ;)

Last edited:

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Here are some hands on videos of the actual devices. I have to say the 7.7 is damn sexy. And the things the Note can do, wow!

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-note-vs-tab-7-7-vs-galaxy-s-ii-02176424/

Like what exactly? Handwriting recognition has been done to death and just isn't feasible in a portable device as people are able to type so much faster even with an on screen keyboard so there is no point. The pressure sensitivity would be nice for those artist types around here but it doesn't seem to hinder them too much going by what they create in the likes of Procreate.

Other than that there was just a few gimmicky features or things that the iPad can already do, the Note just reminds me of an old school PDA just with a better screen.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
... Handwriting recognition has been done to death and just isn't feasible in a portable device as people are able to type so much faster even with an on screen keyboard so there is no point. The pressure sensitivity would be nice for those artist types around here but it doesn't seem to hinder them too much going by what they create in the likes of Procreate.

Other than that there was just a few gimmicky features or things that the iPad can already do, the Note just reminds me of an old school PDA just with a better screen.

Beg to differ. In the first place not everyone can "type so much faster with an on screen keyboard." Second, try typing on the on screen keyboard while holding the iPad in one hand. Even if you're a competent typist, the on screen keyboard is not designed for one hand use. And that's one of the major benefits of a "portable device." Finally, to claim that an on screen keyboard is inherently superior to handwriting on a 5" screen is hardly an accepted fact even if it's true on a 10" device.

Furthermore, a pressure sensitive screen has numerous advantages, even if you're not an "artist type." Avoiding inadvertent stray marks all over the screen is one. And if you're a southpaw like me, a pressure sensitive screen simplifies writing on the screen tremendously. (The wrist rest available in note taking apps is designed for right handed folks who rest their palm/heel on the bottom of the screen. Left-handers need it at the top or side of the screen and even then it's a PITA. A screen that ignores a palm resting lightly on the screen is a much better solution.)

I have no idea how useful the Samsung "Note" will be. There's a long road between introduction of a prototype at a consumer electronics show and production of a device for sale. But from its specs and claimed functionality, it's much more than an "old school PDA."

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010

The iPad can do annotations on virtually any image that shows up on the screen? The iPad can cut and crop any image to any shape you want and then email, mms, text, share anyway you want?
If so, I have an iPad1 and iPad2 and would like this software..
This would be useful in so many different professions. Not to mention research and education.

I have never seen any old PDA do the things the Note can do and have a 285ppi screen.

This device is geared for those that don't want to carry a tablet and a phone. So it'll have it's market.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I don't know of any apps that let you do the freestyle cropping like the Note but most of the note taking apps allow you to annotate an image and then do whatever you want with it.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I don't know of any apps that let you do the freestyle cropping like the Note but most of the note taking apps allow you to annotate an image and then do whatever you want with it.

It may be the "next greatest thing" or another device in search of a market. We won't really know until it's released and people can actually work with it. With a 5.3" screen (and I don't care how extraordinary the resolution is) it won't replace a tablet. Hell, my iPhone is getting used less and less as anything but a phone these days. Even with an appreciably larger screen it's still not going to make me want to surf the web, read a book/work documents or watch a movie.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Say what you will, but sales numbers don't always mean a superior product. The iPad currently has the perception of being The Tablet to get. And it's a great tablet, but it's not the only great tablet. It's true OEMs like Samsung that have the ability to change perception. And they're really out there trying to prove it. I respect a company that fights hard for my money by throwing everything out there. 7.7, 8.9, and 10.1; it's great to have all that choice. And now Samsung are even trying to bring back the stylus with the Galaxy Note. Even when the Dell Streak 5 failed, Samsung still brings out the Galaxy Note and its 5.3 inch SuperAmoled HD display. And it looks amazing.

Hopefully Apple can stop the litigations and start with the innovation. They've already had the Dutch court rule against them on 9 out of the 10 patents. Proving the Galaxy devices ARE NOT COPIES of the idevices. So time to move on and start offering more options. Bring out more devices so you can start competing with making a real ecosystem like Samsung and their full depth of products.

If you can't respect a company that will do as much as Samsung does to get your purchase, then.....oh well.

You can't convince some who think Apple makes the best products:rolleyes:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
You can't convince some who think Apple makes the best products:rolleyes:

Well, in this case they do make the one that hasn't been dumped and sold at a loss. And they do make the one that created (redefined?) the segment. And they do make the one that owns the segment with an OS that is not universally licensed. And they do make the one to which competitors in the segment are compared each time.

Draw your own conclusions.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I use my iPad 1 all the time and think it is great. But yes, sometimes I think it would be nice if it was a little smaller and I could ditch the manbag and just slip it into a big coat pocket. I wished this more during the winter than now. I suspect the iPad 3 will have a slightly smaller beezel and that will help a bit as it will then fit nicely into an overcoat's inner pocket.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I use my iPad 1 all the time and think it is great. But yes, sometimes I think it would be nice if it was a little smaller and I could ditch the manbag and just slip it into a big coat pocket. I wished this more during the winter than now. I suspect the iPad 3 will have a slightly smaller beezel and that will help a bit as it will then fit nicely into an overcoat's inner pocket.

That would still be some pocket. Even a 7-inch device is pushing the definition of "pocketable." 5.3" definitely is, but by then, it's a different device entirely.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Well, in this case they do make the one that hasn't been dumped and sold at a loss. And they do make the one that created (redefined?) the segment. And they do make the one that owns the segment with an OS that is not universally licensed. And they do make the one to which competitors in the segment are compared each time.

Apple is leading the tablet market but that doesn't mean others shouldn't try out anything at all. Some people do prefer 7-inch ones, just because Apple doesn't do 7-inch ones doesn't mean others shouldn't do it. Apple chose 3.5" inch screen for iPhone while Samsung went with a 4.3"inch screen for Galaxy S2, both cater different people. Just because Apple went with 3.5" inch screen doesn't mean it is best suited for a touchscreen phone. Drawing such conclusions is ridiculous. Your sig for one shows how strongly you take Apple's marketing.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada

Well said.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Your sig for one shows how strongly you take Apple's marketing.

Actually it shows how strongly I take Apple's *products* (and product strategy), the quality and finesse of which speak for themselves in a market filled with mediocrity and derivative flotsam and jetsam (many of which try to ape Apple, with little success.)

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Weird about all threads popping up in this forum about other tablets :p

yes, not that it bothers me but I've noticed it too. Did it start when HP announced the end of their line of tablets?

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Samsung has no real roadmap for what they're doing. They don't really know what the consumer wants, so they're just throwing everything up against the wall, to see what sticks.
That's what happens, when you have a reactionist strategy.

----------

Apple is leading the tablet market but that doesn't mean others shouldn't try out anything at all. Some people do prefer 7-inch ones, just because Apple doesn't do 7-inch ones doesn't mean others shouldn't do it. Apple chose 3.5" inch screen for iPhone while Samsung went with a 4.3"inch screen for Galaxy S2, both cater different people. Just because Apple went with 3.5" inch screen doesn't mean it is best suited for a touchscreen phone. Drawing such conclusions is ridiculous. Your sig for one shows how strongly you take Apple's marketing.
That sig is correct, though. Microsoft and Intel(WinTel) were dominant, when having a computer was becoming a necessity, as the Internet took off.
The average Joe already, only thinks "iPad" when they think of a tablet. No-one else is getting a look in.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Daring Fireball nailed it.

----------------------------------

Steve Jobs and the Eureka*Myth*★
Adrian Slywotzky at Harvard Business Review:

Apple would love us to believe it’s all “Eureka.” But Apple produces 10 pixel-perfect prototypes for each feature. They compete — and are winnowed down to three, then one, resulting in a highly evolved winner. Because Apple knows the more you compete inside, the less you’ll have to compete outside.

This is what I think when I see Samsung shipping five or six different sized tablets. It’s not that Apple didn’t try a bunch of different form factors — it’s that they tried them internally, figured out which one was best, and only shipped that one.

-------------------------------------------------

Additionally:

http://www.neowin.net/news/samsung-removes-galaxy-tab-77-from-ifa-booth

Samsung removes Galaxy Tab 7.7 from IFA booth

On Thursday, Samsung proudly revealed the new Galaxy Tab 7.7 tablet at the IFA trade show in Berlin, Germany. It was just one of many new products from the company that debuted at the event, and the tablet was shown off prominently at Samsung's IFA booth for attendees to check out for themselves.

Today, the third day of the IFA trade show, is another story. The Galaxy Tab 7.7 has now mysteriously vanished from Samsung's booth. ThisismyNext.com confirms that not only have all of the sample versions of the product been removed from the show floor, but the posters and anything else that had the Galaxy Tab 7.7 image or logo displayed have either been taken down or covered up.

Samsung would not comment on the reasons for this unusual move but speculation on the Internet has a finger pointed at Apple as the instigator. Apple is currently suing Samsung for allegedly infringing on its design and user interface patents for a number of previously released products. Earlier this summer Apple was granted a preliminary injunction in a German court that bans the sale of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet in that country. While Samsung did have a label at its IFA booth before today, clearly stating that the Galaxy Tab 7.7 would not be placed for sale in Germany, it's more than possible that Apple didn't feel that label was enough to satisfy the requirements of the court injunction.

The Galaxy Tab 7.7 will have Android 3.2 as its operating system along with a 1.4 Ghz dual core processor, 1 GB of RAM, up to 64 GB of storage and more. Samsung has not yet announced when the product will be released nor any price points.

Before & After photos:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/03/samsung-galaxy-tab-7-7-pulled-ifa-2011/

-----------------------------------------------

Quite possible that it was removed due to Apple's suit, and also possible that the 7.7 might not see the light of day in certain markets.

Last edited:

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Why do people care about 7.7 tablet from Samsung?

Samsung is the company that just copies apple. The galaxy tab 10.1 will be most likely lose and pulled off from the retailers. Also, 7.7 might not even come to US.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Any chance Apple would use an amoled in the next ipad? The screens in these Samsung's are gorgeous. But I still prefer ios.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
What do you find so wrong with that? A company goes balls to the wall; throws out all these different devices to fill the different needs that may exist and let's the consumers pick what they like. And you have a problem with that? Oh wait, are you another blind Apple follower? If so, then that explains it. As a blind follower, your not used to choice. Your used to being told what you should like. Not saying you are one, but just sayin.

Are you saying the only way to not be a "sheep" is to prefer the inferior product?

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
What do you find so wrong with that? A company goes balls to the wall; throws out all these different devices to fill the different needs that may exist and let's the consumers pick what they like. And you have a problem with that? Oh wait, are you another blind Apple follower? If so, then that explains it. As a blind follower, your not used to choice. Your used to being told what you should like. Not saying you are one, but just sayin.

Apple produces lots of prototypes in house, works them over, figures out which one is the right one that will make the most number of people happy, and that's the one they release.

Samsung produces lots of prototypes in house, releases them all to let the market tell them which is the right one that will make the most number of people happy, and that's the one that doesn't get returned from the retailers.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Are you saying the only way to not be a "sheep" is to prefer the inferior product?

Wow, you just made his point! It is inferior from your perspective. To others, it may not. That is the beauty of choice. By assuming your choice applies to all others makes you a blind Apple follower, right?

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wow, you just made his point! It is inferior from your perspective. To others, it may not. That is the beauty of choice. By assuming your choice applies to all others makes you a blind Apple follower, right?

What happens when the company cans the product (because it sucks ass) and the "choice" no longer exists?

http://mp4nation.net/blog/2010/05/hp-slate-discontinued/

http://www.wupia.com/2011/03/ipad-2-forces-galaxy-tab-10-1-to-its-drawing-board/

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/hps-touchpad-dead-on-arrival/17577
http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2011/08/hp-touchpad-sale-price-crashes/

Give this one a little more time . It already crashed (for obvious reasons.) Just wait for the burn:

http://appleheadlines.com/2011/06/1...kluster-playbook-shipments-and-15-stock-drop/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1171666/

Nope. Can't be inferior to the iPad. These are game-changers. DOA actually means "Doing Outrageously Awesome."

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I enjoy my Apple products but I'm rooting for these competitors. I lived through the Wintel monopoly and I don't think a repeat of that is good for consumers or the industry as a whole.

Don't believe that Apple is more noble and won't perform the same anti-competitive tricks that Microsoft and Intel pulled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.