Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subhransu5859

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
Hello Geeks,
I am wondering how can i remove Photoshop CS5 trial version completely from my Mac So that i can install the older version of this.

I am looking like window maintain some registry to force user not able to install second time the trial...Looking somethink like in mac..whr exactly Photoshop maintain the registry....

Appreciate sharing your knowledge and time....

Hope to see some forward hand. You can mail me directly if you wish.

Thanks,
Subhransu
subhransu5859@gmail.com

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
When you mean completely you mean like from library and all?

If so get Appcleaner.
Removes all files that is related to that app.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I use AppZapper, it's a great uninstall utility. You simply drag the main app into it's window and it shows all related files with that app, it is a paid app but it comes highly recommended.

Plus it has sound effects

subhransu5859

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
Thanks guys for sharing.

My problem is i have installed PS5 Extended trial version in my mac book pro.
When i am trying to remove it says it deleted all but i don't know how PhotoShop keeps entry whn i am installing again it reads from my system says it already expire. :eek:

So if some one came across any steps how to delete CS5 from mac and installing again so that it will not take old dates to show the countdown.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My problem is i have installed PS5 Extended trial version in my mac book pro.
When i am trying to remove it says it deleted all but i don't know how PhotoShop keeps entry whn i am installing again it reads from my system says it already expire. :eek:
You're asking help to get around the trial expiration. Instead of asking for that, perhaps a better option then is buy the software.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
You're asking help to get around the trial expiration. Instead of asking for that, perhaps a better option then is buy the software.

Some software(not by Adobe) doesnt keep record of previous installations on your computer. So trials after trials can be installed. Is it wrong? I don't think so. No rules are broken, although it sounds cheating...

Last edited:

Town Idiot25

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
Out of apps you already just dragged into the trash and deleted that way, how can you find the other files they downloaded?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Adobe stuff comes with its own uninstaller, doesn't it? I had some sort of CS trial on mine ages ago but decided to go for a cheaper alternative instead so I'm sure I fully uninstalled it with the CS uninstaller.

If that isn't the case anymore, use AppCleaner. AppZapper and so on charge to do the same stuff AppCleaner does free :)

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
You're all wrong. Go into Applications>Utilities>Adobe Installers and there's an uninstall app.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
You're all wrong. Go into Applications>Utilities>Adobe Installers and there's an uninstall app.

ya i was going to say this but i only ever had the trial for Photoshop but i could of swore it came with an uninstaller

FYI OP not every app comes with a uninstaller

use GG's advice for a 100% removal

in my expierence appcleaner does a good job i cant usually find remaning files using GG's method but not all apps install the same so some files might not be deleted with appcleaner or other similar software

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The Adobe uninstaller doesn't remove all files and folders related to the app. Read post #4.
in my expierence appcleaner does a good job i cant usually find remaning files using GG's method but not all apps install the same so some files might not be deleted with appcleaner or other similar software
I've never seen a case where AppCleaner didn't leave something behind. Are you sure you're following all the steps in the manual removal process?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
The Adobe uninstaller doesn't remove all files and folders related to the app. Read post #4.

I've never seen a case where AppCleaner didn't leave something behind. Are you sure you're following all the steps in the manual removal process?

its possible i didnt follow the steps properlly

ill have to test my theory again

i know even windows did not delete everythign with uninstallers or doing it though control pannel, but its funny OSX makes it sound so easy to delete apps even in their own tutorials they say just drag to the trash

with your method what are the typicall file sizes of the files left behind less than 1MB or sometimes even more then 1MB?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
its possible i didnt follow the steps properlly

ill have to test my theory again

i know even windows did not delete everythign with uninstallers or doing it though control pannel, but its funny OSX makes it sound so easy to delete apps even in their own tutorials they say just drag to the trash

with your method what are the typicall file sizes of the files left behind less than 1MB or sometimes even more then 1MB?
In many cases, apps such as AppCleaner will delete .plist files, which are a few KB, and leave behind cache files and others which are frequently more than 1MB. If your goal is simply to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders to maximize space savings, no removal apps will do the job completely.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
In many cases, apps such as AppCleaner will delete .plist files, which are a few KB, and leave behind cache files and others which are frequently more than 1MB. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job completely.

well i know for sure appclean has delete files in the megabytes not just small KB plst files, i wont arguee its still missing something because im not an expert

is it possible appcleaner an others have improved since you gave up on their abilities?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
well i know for sure appclean has delete files in the megabytes not just small KB plst files, i wont arguee its still missing something because im not an expert
Yes, they do delete more than just the .plist files, and files larger than those, but the files they miss are not only small files... some can be quite large.
is it possible appcleaner an others have improved since you gave up on their abilities?
No, I test them periodically and they still miss things.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
thanks for your input ill test your method the next time i delete something
I just downloaded and tested AppCleaner again (version 2.0.5, installed on Snow Leopard 10.6.8). I tested with two apps to be uninstalled. In the first case, I used Skype. I disregarded email messages, which the manual search revealed, and show file sizes in red for the things AppCleaner missed.
Skype.PNG
In the 2nd case I tested with Plex. The results speak for themselves.
Plex.PNG

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I just downloaded and tested AppCleaner again (version 2.0.5, installed on Snow Leopard 10.6.8). I tested with two apps to be uninstalled. In the first case, I used Skype. I disregarded email messages, which the manual search revealed, and show file sizes in red for the things AppCleaner missed.
In the 2nd case I tested with Plex. The results speak for themselves.

Thanks for the examples

jrhorn424

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Issue with examples

I know this is an old thread, but I noted two things that I thought worth mentioning for anyone that arrived here, as I did, through a Google search.

First, in the example above, regarding disk size: I don't know anyone who keeps around disk images unless they intend to use them in the future to uninstall something (sometimes, they include a script), so a 40 meg dmg file shouldn't count against these programs. I don't want them scanning my download directory anyway, I manage that every few weeks myself, and with Hazel in the interim.

Secondly, regarding the number of files found with Plex: did you peek into any of the folders found by the app removal program? I would be very surprised, for example, if you fired up Leap and went deep into these directories if the number of files found didn't match. In other words, the reason so few files were found in the app remover, is because lots of the files found with search are contained within folders found by app remover.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Secondly, regarding the number of files found with Plex: did you peek into any of the folders found by the app removal program?

In other words, the reason so few files were found in the app remover, is because lots of the files found with search are contained within folders found by app remover.
Yes, I checked for that, and the app removal apps definitely missed those files, as they do quite frequently.

j.ang

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
In most cases, app removal software such as AppCleaner and AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

I am in a quandry trying to remove a trial version of CS5 from a Time Machine restored backup. I've looked around online to find some help to no avail, even the folks at Adobe's forum could not help my question.

Basically this happened:
My iMac (running 10.6.8) recently had a drastic hard drive crash. Luckily I was able to get it up and running again to make a Time Machine backup. The hard drive had to be replaced, and I restored my mac using the last (post crash) Time Machine backup. However, when I tried to run Photoshop I get a Configuration Error and it tells me to uninstall and reinstall, and also gives me an Error code 6. I tried to uninstall it with the photoshop uninstaller but it tells me I need to install the Application manager (with a link where to get it). I download and install it, reboot the computer (btw I am running as the Admin when trying to remove the program) and then tried to uninstall again but it fails. After searching around on the net I tried to use the CS cleaner tool but all it finds is the Application Manager.

I noticed that I have a folder called "Lost and Found" on the root directory of my hard drive. Inside are various numbered folders and some contain various Adobe files and folders such as CS5 service manager app, AMT, lenses, etc.

I would kindly ask for any assistance how to remove cs5 from my computer, or if I have to manually uninstall it, what files and folders do I need to delete?

GGJstudio's method seems to be the only way to go, but what search terms would I use to delete the CS5 components? If I enter Adobe won't I delete other non CS5 components?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.