Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
What I've learned from this thread is that one of Apple's best moves was the iPod since the "halo" effect clearly worked. So many people seem to have started with iPods and moved on to Macs.

Not that I ever thought otherwise, but it's interesting to see proof of sorts.

Apple's best move was the release of iTunes for Windows. This let a lot of PC users buy an Apple product (iPod) without having to own a Mac. It introduced many to Apple software and it's ease of use.

My first Apple product was an LC II. 16 MhZ processor, 40 MB hard drive and 8 MB of ram.

Dale

bibi2205

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
This was my first Apple device, imported from the US as it wasn't available in Belgium:

The original iPhone (16GB). :)

Unfortunately, after about 2 days the internal speaker stopped working. It would sometimes come back for about 10 seconds and then die again. Eventually sent it to an unofficial repair shop and they said the Audio chip on the Logic Board was broken and it would cost about 180€ to repair. I ended up using it for about 1,5y with a bluetooth headset (or, when it wasn't available, with calls on speaker) until I was able to buy a 3GS for 100€ (about 1,5month before the iPhone4 came out, which I bought on release day).

Last edited:

DollFaceDork

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
Narnia
First was the iPod Nano 1st gen in White it started quite an obsession...

iPhone 3GS Black - Sold to get the white one.

iPod touch 2nd gen- Just sold on ebay.

iPhone 3GS White

MacBook white 2009 model.

MacBook white 2010 model - using now

iPod Nano 5th gen - Sold

iPhone 4

iPod Touch 5th gen

21.5" mid 2011 iMac

tanhm

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
iPhone 1st generation
iPhone 3G
Macbook
iphone 3GS
Macbook pro 13 inch
Macbook air 2009
iPhone 4
Macbook pro 15 inch Mid 2010

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Apple's best move was the release of iTunes for Windows. This let a lot of PC users buy an Apple product (iPod) without having to own a Mac. It introduced many to Apple software and it's ease of use.

My first Apple product was an LC II. 16 MhZ processor, 40 MB hard drive and 8 MB of ram.

Dale

8 Megs of RAM? I knew you were a power user!

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
My early 2008 Macbook pro which I'm using to type on it now. I love it even though the dvd drive doesn't work since it accidentally fell off my bed, and has a few dents and scuffs.

I remember when I first got it, people here were really excited about Apple finally releasing the Penryn MBPs and we were all tracking our shipments in one of the threads. It was fun. Good times.

Then I got my iPhone 3G and then upgraded to a 3GS which is what I have now.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
It was a white 30GB iPod Video. But the first Apple product I used was the colorful see thru iMacs back when I was in elementary school in the 90s. I thought there were the coolest thing ever. For some reason I thought they were strictly made for school use lol. I hated using those rounded puck shaped mice though!

ipod_video.jpg

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
iPod Nano 4th Gen 16gb

I really hated Apple products back in the day (mainly cuz I never even tried them)..then in 08, I bought this Nano just to have something small to run with and I was amazed..now I'm a happy Apple user :D

ipod4thgen.jpg

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
First ever used:
MacBook Pro 17" pre-unibody(cousin's)
Second:
iMac pre-aluminium Intel(friend's)
3rd:
iPod Nano 1G(Owned)
4th:
iPod Video 5.5G (5G 1st Rev)
5th:
iPod Touch 1G(Own)
6th:
iPhone 3G(cousin's)
7th:
iPod Nano 3G(Borrowed)
8th:
MacBook Pro 13" 2010(Own)
9th:
iPad 2(Own)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The first Apple product that was all my own was a Macintosh 128k. It was a hand-me-down from my mother, who had actually purchased it while pregnant with me. Of course it was pretty obsolete by the time I got it, but still I spent hours on it almost every day. Mostly playing in MacPaint IIRC.

mac25-2.jpg

After that I owned a Performa 400. Then a Performa 5215. And finally a Powermac 6800/100 (I think that's the right number). After that I, well, switched to a PC. And although I often used Macs in school, I wouldn't own another Apple product until I bought my iPad last year.

PS while the 128k was my first in my personal possession, I should mention that we also had an Apple IIe and Apple III in the house.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm a super noob. My first was was a 2010 white MacBook.

After receiving a nice tax refund, bought a 15" MP with hi-res display. I know I don't really need the power of the MP now, but I wanted the larger, hi-res display.

Yes, when possible, I'm a self indulgent baby. :eek:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

Oh fiddlesticks... I forgot my mother bought me one of those for my birthday the year it was released! Unfortunately it stopped working a week after I got it (the infamous blinking light error), and RadioShack... there was no Apple Store where i lived at the time.... didn't have any more in stock. She did eventually buy me a replacement, though by that time I had gotten a phone that could play music and so didn't use it much.

So anyway, that means the iPad wasn't my first Apple product since switching to a PC.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
2nd Gen nano. and it kept turning itself off randomly after about 10 minutes or so. Took it back and got my money back but when it worked i loved it. The clickwheel was genius :D

Obese Lobsters

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Ipod Nano second Gen. I got for free through a bank account.

Since then have bought:

Macbook Pro
Airport Express
Mighty mouse
magic mouse
wireless keyboard
iphone (sold)
iphone 3gs
imac
macbook air (sold macbook pro)

Apple tricked me with a free iPod.

j-hov

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2009
San Diego
iPod Mini 6gb when they first came out:
mini6.jpg

This thing lasted me like 3 years before I bought my iPhone and iPod nano replaced it

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
My brother had an Apple IIe that I used so many many years ago.

The first Apple product I bought was a Product (RED) iPod Nano. I felt at the time I was probably the only human left on earth that did not have one. Was never that much into listening to music so I really hardly used it.

What started my OBSESSION with Apple was the iPhone4. Man I saw Steve give the keynote and I was throughly impressed. Ordered it online and got it on launch day.

Now I pretty much get my pay checks, sign them and hand em over to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.