Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlboz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Hi guy's,

I'm having a real confusing problem with Office 2011 on a MacBook Pro with Lion OS! The problem is that when ever I open Word I get the following error..

'The open xml file normal.dotm cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents or the file name might contain invalid characters'

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, running the latest updates, Repairing the Disk Permissions, removing everything to do with Office, renaming the Normal.dotm file, deleting the Normal.dotm file and installing it from another account (which works in their account but not the one I want it to work in!).

I was anyone had come across this problem before and found a solution? I've searched the web but found nothing that works.

Cheers

Last edited:

garicgymro

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Try changing the order of preferred languages

Hopefully you've resolved this problem yourself by now, but I found the same problem today. I also found that backspace and tab had stopped working in Excel. Turns out this is because I'd changed the order of preferred languages on my MacBook settings. Once I reverted to the original order and restarted, everything started working fine.

I hope this helps people searching for help with this problem in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.