Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sakeswindow.jpg

Apple isn't the only retailer to put iPads in its window displays. Saks Fifth Avenue also has a window full of iPads, though not to advertise the tablet. Instead, the company is using iPads and Apple Cinema Displays to promote haute couture.

Saks has partnered with Stylist.com to celebrate Fashion's Night Out with the unique window display at its flagship Fifth Avenue location, just up the street from Apple's Fifth Ave. cube.

The window displays, designed, developed and built by Gin Lane Media, feature 64 iPad 2s in one center window, and nine Cinema Displays in each of two side windows. The company wrote custom software for the installation, and Dan Kenger, Digital Creative Director for Gin Lane says that the iPads are linked together via a local network. "We are able to get all the iPads to talk to each other as well as perfect the timing to produce elegant fades and control what device should display what."

Hat tip to The Loop.

Article Link: Saks Window Display Features 64 iPads and 18 Apple Monitors

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What a waste

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I guess that's one way to promote "haute couture." But there would have been much cheaper options to accomplish the same thing. Still, technically it's pretty neat.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
I don't get it. What's the advantage of this compared to a big a$$ LCD screen connected to a computer? It's cheaper, and you don't get all those black lines breaking up the image. Even if you wanted the black lines for artistic reasons, you could still do that easily in graphics program. :confused:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Obviously you don't get it. The public affinity for the iPad transferee to the image it displays. Do you also criticize the dress the hot girl is wearing when she says hello to you?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
They just wanna tell Macy's:
"If you don't have 64 iPads, well, you don't have 64 iPads."

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

What a waste, and looks terrible. The Cinema Display arrangement isn't bad, but the iPad one just looks awful.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I have an odd feeling that some of those items will be "misplaced" by the employees. Even with the security camera overhead, I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries a smash and grab on that stuff :D

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
I guess that's one way to promote "haute couture." But there would have been much cheaper options to accomplish the same thing. Still, technically it's pretty neat.

That is exactly the point of this display. This is Saks Fifth Avenue selling haute couture merchandise. The fact that they are using iPads conveys that they are hip to current technology and that they have money to spend on an extravagant display like this.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
That is exactly the point of this display. This is Saks Fifth Avenue selling haute couture merchandise. The fact that they are using iPads conveys that they are hip to current technology and that they have money to spend on an extravagant display like this.

This ^^^

Hit it right on the button.

Image over content. ;)

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Daft idea, why not just get one big display and put a grid of black tape over it?

Because that's something that not even Target would do. This isn't about practicality, nor simplicity. Hell, they could've achieved the same effect, buying 64 Samsung Galaxy Tablets, and saved themselves a big chunk of change. But that's not the point. It's about pairing the best with the best. (no, I'm not a crazy "fanboy")

The REAL message here is:
"If Apple sold clothes, they'd be us."

Last edited:

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
64 iPads???

Really... I wonder if they are iPads or something more similar so the new advertising iPad-like devices in Apple stores.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Because that's something that not even Target would do. This isn't about practicality, nor simplicity. Hell, they could've achieved the same effect, buying 64 Samsung Galaxy Tablets, and saved themselves a big chunk of change. But that's not the point. It's about pairing the best with the best. (no, I'm not a crazy "fanboy")

HP, Dell and others would die for this sort of exposure and cachet.

This is just another notch in Apple's "high fashion" belt, which is quite an important level of mindshare. Normally consumer tech wouldn't fit in this area, but Apple certainly manages to.

Imagine Saks helping build your brand? That sort of advertising (to that segment of the market) is hugely significant.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Um... nevermind, the post I was replying to got deleted apparently.

I am a little confused as to why they would choose a technology medium such as this for clothing. I understand the whole "haute couture" take, but price is pretty much where the similarities end. Oh well, to each his own I suppose.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao

The Galaxy Tab is NOT cheaper.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

macrumorsuser10 said:

Also using one big screen does not get them the free publicity this gets them

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
I can understand why they did it seeing as Apple is king and so is the iPad and so to advertise with them is a good idea in theory. However, I'm sure the rich people (older) that shop here could care less about gadgets such as the iPad.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Wow, i guess someone was bound to post this. A business spends its money on itself, not others, thats how it works. There's charities built for your specific gripe, so stop looking down on companies for spending money they have made on themselves.

Thank you for understanding. Sorry for bringing this trivial matter up. Enjoy using your iPad. Have a nice day!

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Thank you for understanding. Sorry for bringing this trivial matter up. Enjoy using your iPad. Have a nice day!

never said it was trivial, nice way of debating though, putting words into my mouth.

A business has no obligation to spend it's money that IT HAS MADE, THE PURPOSE OF A BUSINESS, on anything other than the company itself to better itself.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
never said it was trivial, nice way of debating though, putting words into my mouth.

A business has no obligation to spend it's money that IT HAS MADE, THE PURPOSE OF A BUSINESS, on anything other than the company itself to better itself.

Yes, it's all about money, isn't it? This has nothing to do with Saks my friend, nothing at all. I won't bother you any more. But have you looked at the picture at all? Don't answer, as I will not reply. Or won't be able to reply. I hope you like your new iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.