Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
Apple will not be incorporating a GarageBand-style user interface for the revamped application
great!!!!!! i want it with new price! like final cut pro, and please tell me somebody

why, but really! why, the adobe apps are toooooooo high price, If price are like final cut pro, everybody buy it and dont donwload illegal... $299 is a really great price for software for pros... IMHO

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Im a sound tech and im not botherd i dont think logic is that great only the plug ins for instruments ill stick to abelton and pro tools :rolleyes:

They don't teach punctuation in sound tech school, huh?

wescravn

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
East Orange
Omg

OMG, there dumbing down Logic X. It's obvious, when they say there integrating waveburner into the program.

Digidesign here i come :(

PKGuy323

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
I am FOR a GarageBandPro interface. The current one for Logic 9.1.5 is so un-intuitve. I find myself gravitating toward GarageBand first every time I get an idea for a song...and there's an iPad app for it.

What I am hoping is NOT the case is that is could be Lion-only compatible.

The current work-flow in Logic really doesn't make much sense. There would be alot of bug-fixing if the app was built from the ground-up.

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
OMG, there dumbing down Logic X. It's obvious, when they say there integrating waveburner into the program.

Digidesign here i come :(

I don't think it's obvious yet that THEY'RE dumbing it down, but we can probably safely assume that THEY'RE doing it.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Yes! Finally some news on Logic!

I'm really hoping for a end of summer release, if at least not by the end of the year. :D:D:D

Please don't wait till 2012 to release this, Apple. :mad:

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I was just contemplating buying Logic Express because Garageband can't do simple punch ins. Maybe I oughta wait. Hm.

gate5blues

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
I'm actually wondering what Apple could possibly do to Logic to make its interface more Garageband-like than it already is. Both are pretty damn similar already (the only problem I had figuring out Logic after a few years of using Garageband was getting used to different keystrokes). Apple already pulled a Garageband-ification when they added the option to consolidate all the windows and browsers into the main window for Logic 8; the only thing left is changing the color palate of the interface.

Well, I think part of the redesign will be to accommodate a UI that is touch friendly. It may not be a drastic overhaul, but you can probably expect all the very small cluttered buttons to be replaced with action pullouts or pop-menus to make them easier to click on with a stubby finger.

I'm betting since Apple is moving towards touch that most of their interfaces will start gearing towards gestures instead of keystrokes and keyboard shortcuts. We've seen trackpads shipping with Macs instead of mice, a touch screen device (that uses a desktop type operating system such as lion or an amalgamation of OSX and iOS for touch screen might be in the future...

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Calm ourselves down

Quite clear that none of you are regular Logic users considering the comments you are making. Firstly, Logic has already need dumbed down when Apple took over for version 8. Sure they will want to feature better integration and deliver at a cheaper price point but there are genuine competitors now that Apple actually have to work hard to stave off. Bear in mind that much of the original Emagic team are still working on Logic so it will still retain it's depth even if it is encased in a simpler interface.
Apple needs to keep things as they are and add some proper 'on the fly' time stretching and pitching abilities like Live and to a lesser degree, Tools. They clearly had the tech in Logic 9 with varispeed but didn't implement it fully. Worst case scenario I'll just stick with 9 and use Live, Tools, Reason and Cubase more often.
Logic Pro X and a new Mac Pro please!

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I don't see this as an App Store release unless they remove all the virtual instruments and loops. That content is close to 70gigs! That is part of what made logic such a good value. Remove that, and they will need to lower the cost of Logic a whole lot!

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I am FOR a GarageBandPro interface. The current one for Logic 9.1.5 is so un-intuitve.

I too am not a big fan of Logic's UI. It doesn't make much sense unless you use it constantly and get used to it. The current version of Garage Band already does much of what Logic Express does. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Express is discontinued as with FC.

wescravn

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
East Orange
David, I've been using Logic since 2006. Yes, they did dumb-it-down with Version 8;however apple wants to reach that pro-sumer market. It's obvious from the posts, that some people think Logic is hard, when it in fact isn't. I'm an instructor, so I know it's depth. Remove the environment, and change the interface to Final Cut Xish interface. How about a magnetic timeline? :)
Just let's hope the emagic team has veto power here.

Quite clear that none of you are regular Logic users considering the comments you are making. Firstly, Logic has already need dumbed down when Apple took over for version 8. Sure they will want to feature better integration and deliver at a cheaper price point but there are genuine competitors now that Apple actually have to work hard to stave off. Bear in mind that much of the original Emagic team are still working on Logic so it will still retain it's depth even if it is encased in a simpler interface.
Apple needs to keep things as they are and add some proper 'on the fly' time stretching and pitching abilities like Live and to a lesser degree, Tools. They clearly had the tech in Logic 9 with varispeed but didn't implement it fully. Worst case scenario I'll just stick with 9 and use Live, Tools, Reason and Cubase more often.
Logic Pro X and a new Mac Pro please!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If true Apple appears to have learned a lesson from the FCP X mess.
Yes Apple learnt that (the 5%) unhappy FCPX users can winge and make more noise then the (95%) happy customers ever could.

FCPX is a great application. But yeah that very vocal very tiny minority can create some real PR nightmares for Apple. So they are wisely trying to make sure they don't winge about LPX too.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It's inevitable, I guess.

I switched to Reaper for a project I'm collaborating on (I needed a cross-platform solution). I'm actually really enjoying it, so I guess if Logic goes X then I have a backup plan.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Well, I think part of the redesign will be to accommodate a UI that is touch friendly. It may not be a drastic overhaul, but you can probably expect all the very small cluttered buttons to be replaced with action pullouts or pop-menus to make them easier to click on with a stubby finger.

I'm betting since Apple is moving towards touch that most of their interfaces will start gearing towards gestures instead of keystrokes and keyboard shortcuts. We've seen trackpads shipping with Macs instead of mice, a touch screen device (that uses a desktop type operating system such as lion or an amalgamation of OSX and iOS for touch screen might be in the future...

And I honestly wouldn't mind that. The interface could use a good clean-up and refreshening.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Just a day or two ago I was looking at Logic Express. Glad to hear the first bits of rumors about a new version that might be in the works. I'd like to try out Logic Express, but if a new version might be not too far off, then I'll wait a little longer to see what might happen.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Nice to hear about Logic again.

Interesting watching the developments with FCut X and applying the same concerns to Logic X.

Im currently using Logic 9 in a professional multi workstation operation. Been using logic since version 4. In my opinion, logic has been slipping as a professional app ever since Apple purchased it (V7). There have been heaps of enhancements and such, sure, many of them great, yet the slow progression of the app away from professional production and into the prosumer realm have been obvious to me.

-Noise Bursts and feedback - I can actually create the feedback issue consistently on moderate sized 5.1 projects by switching a stereo instrument to output 5.1 while the song is playing.
-Moderate sized surround sound projects breaking latency compensation (forget using a Liner Phase EQ on the master)
-Multiple automation copying / moving problems. Love the one when you drag out the start of the song into minus bars. Then hit undo. Notice the automation stays where it is. There are other subtle ways that cause the automation to freak out and offset.
-Broken features that are still listed, say "Cut Insert Time"
-Flex Time Issues when flexed tracks move out of time occasionally / often in loaded sessions.
-Flex time on surround interleaved files only outputs as stereo
-Audio editor cant do much with surround interleaved files
-Quicktime VIdeo export down the drain with Quicktime 7. Only usable in 32bit mode, and broken is OSX lion.
-Arrange page Waveform and MIDI drawing sucks. GO check out reaper to see how much nice it could be, and how much of a difference it makes
- Smart Snapping in the arrange is a little buggy (and or some object drawing) and really isn't as nice as it could be.
- Live mode and processor threads how they relate to plugging chains can be a pain…maxed out core 8 anyone?

And a hundred other little things that are messed up that require experience and workflow changes so as to not put your foot in it and break and ankle.

blah blah vent I know. Many of these issues only really get unmanageable once you start to push the system hard with leads of tracks, instruments, 5.1, Reverbs, etc.

But, honestly:

I would actually love logic to be Taken in the FCPX direction. Seriously.

Logic Pro its roots is legacy software. I think it really needs a full Audio Engine rewrite, automation rewrite, and for the devs to go over all those features that are broken, neglected, or just excess baggage for the prosumer, and trim them off.

Id like to see logic as a slimline mean machine again. As I cant ever see Apple addressing a whole bunch power user concerns that most users never encounter, I think logic should be dumbed down, and tightened up.

I can then play around with logic on the weekends.

And work with Nuendo for projects, cause their focus is on people like us.

R3k

P.s. Happy they're bringing Waveburner into Logic, I thought they'd left that one out in the sun to die.

Last edited:

dhrlove

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As a FCP user, I'm praying for you Logic users.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I love Logic! I am (was) still on Logic 8, but now i am getting Logic 9 so it can run on Lion. I really do hope Logic X will be a great piece of software.

I am open minded but i do use a lot of features of Logic so i dont want it dumbed down.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Quite clear that none of you are regular Logic users considering the comments you are making.

Bold words, considering the dozens of users that have posted already.

Like the other person says about his experience, I myself have been using Logic since version 5...so not sure why you would assume and judge complete strangers on the internet so hastily, only based off a series of "comments".

Really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.