Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
I've had the first-gen iPad for a while, very happy with it but would like to buy the iPad 2 solely for its camera purposes (Skype, Facetime) and better graphics performance.

It's a 32GB Wi-Fi only version. I've been researching some mobile-recycling services and the best price that I landed on was £210 from these guys:

http://www.moneyforyourphone.com/PhoneModels/Sell/823?source=webgains&siteid=67661

Average highest bids on eBay have been around £200 but I would like it to go for at least £250+ as I got it for £339. It's in a great condition (with leather case) and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Good luck with the sale!
Personally, I'm going to hang on to my iPad now, even if I get an iPad 3 sometime next year. If you're only getting £200 then I think it's worth holding on to. It'll be nice in 10 years to be holding the first ever iPad, still in mint condition, looking back at how computing has changed :)
Just my opinion though.
Again, hope you're able to sell for a good price.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Gumtree or the your local paper.

+1

Gumtree and eBay are the most reliable sources for selling imo. Also, while you might be able to get 250+ on Gumtree provided that the right buyer finds you, I do find that eBay prices do reflect the "true" market price for used electronics. If you want to sell it quickly, I'd say go with a price that's in line with eBay; if you can afford to wait, just put it up on Gumtree for the price you actually want.

Additionally, while second hand buyers will benefit from your leather case, I think it's safe to say that what they're after is the iPad, not the case, so don't expect them to be willing to dish out a lot of money on an accessory that you chose.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
Yeah eBay is a good one as well but once you are done with eBay fees (Which they recently put up) and Paypal fees you end up with a fair bit less.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah eBay is a good one as well but once you are done with eBay fees (Which they recently put up) and Paypal fees you end up with a fair bit less.

Yeah, eBay fees are a pain and the postage calulator is also a mess. I did factor in fees for the last item I sold, but the postage ended up costing me a lot more when printing the label in PayPal than the eBay calculator indicated when I listed the item. I think we will see eBay prices steadily increasing as sellers begin adjusting to the higher fees, but the question is how buyers will respond.

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
I don't mind going for eBay, I managed to sell a 32GB iPod touch for £200 back in January, sometimes the right buyer does come along. And in terms of costs, it's always going to be roughly a £10 loss in fees, postage etc.

Also, the case won't affect the overall price for the iPad, I got it for just £2. The condition of the iPad however is near-to-new, which is why I don't want to price it too low.

@Onimusha370 I know what you mean, holding onto a classic, had the same thing with my first-gen iPhone. Also, typing this post on the first Intel Mac that was released. Their products do last, I have to give Apple that. The only downer about going for the iPad 2 is the flat-back design. The curve on the first-gen makes it look so elegant and a nice product to use.

But anyway, it's looking like eBay all over again. I guess I could use their Reserve system to make sure it doesn't go below my preferred price.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Please post if you manage to sell it and what you ended up getting. I have the same model and I also really want to upgrade to an iPad 2 16gb 3G, but I can't justify the expense as the iPad 2 doesn't really do anything a whole lot better than than the iPad 1 (I don't play games), plus, like you, I am actually partial to original iPad design. It is indeed very elegant and sturdy.

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Please post if you manage to sell it and what you ended up getting. I have the same model and I also really want to upgrade to an iPad 2 16gb 3G, but I can't justify the expense as the iPad 2 doesn't really do anything a whole lot better than than the iPad 1 (I don't play games), plus, like you, I am actually partial to original iPad design. It is indeed very elegant and sturdy.
Will do.

Right now I'm just paying attention to current sales. There's a few listings that are nearing the £250 mark; this one here is going for almost £300 and it's about to end:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Ipad-32-GB-WiFi-Receipt-Warranty-Case-/330606816823?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item4cf9b3ae37#ht_500wt_1156

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Will do.

Right now I'm just paying attention to current sales. There's a few listings that are nearing the £250 mark; this one here is going for almost £300 and it's about to end:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Ipad-32-GB-WiFi-Receipt-Warranty-Case-/330606816823?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item4cf9b3ae37#ht_500wt_1156
I paid £305 for an iPad 1 (16GB, Wi-Fi) back in February I think it was; with the box/accessories etc, that eBay iPad 1 deal is a bargain.

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
I paid £305 for an iPad 1 (16GB, Wi-Fi) back in February I think it was; with the box/accessories etc, that eBay iPad 1 deal is a bargain.
Ha, that one just went off for £305 as well (including postage). Not bad for the seller!

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Well I chose to go down the eBay route after some thought. Many of the same models have been going for £250-£300 so that's good enough for me.

This is my auction if anyone wants to keep up with it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iPad-Wi-Fi-32GB-receipt-stand-up-case-/120773152942?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item1c1ea410ae#ht_500wt_995

I'll probably look into a refurbished iPad 2 after a few weeks (when they become available) or possibly get a relative to send it over from the USA (£100 cheaper overall).

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I managed to sell it amongst some very keen bidders! Won £310 altogether, the bids went up from £270 to £302 in the last 20 seconds, it was quite intense!

But one thing I am disgusted with is the eBay and Paypal fees. I had my fee balance at £0.00 until now, and eBay have now stamped a whopping £31.25 after my iPad was sold. Paypal gladly take off about £8 for whatever reason, and I'll end up paying at least £10 for Special Delivery tomorrow morning.

Not happy to say the least, but glad that it made it over the £300 barrier.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Hello,

I managed to sell it amongst some very keen bidders! Won £310 altogether, the bids went up from £270 to £302 in the last 20 seconds, it was quite intense!

But one thing I am disgusted with is the eBay and Paypal fees. I had my fee balance at £0.00 until now, and eBay have now stamped a whopping £31.25 after my iPad was sold. Paypal gladly take off about £8 for whatever reason, and I'll end up paying at least £10 for Special Delivery tomorrow morning.

Not happy to say the least, but glad that it made it over the £300 barrier.

Good to hear--congrats! I just noticed that I have a tiny scratch on my iPad screen so that probably depreciates its vaule by £100 to anal Apple customers. :(

Now you tempted me to sell mine and get the iPad 2 instead. Or maybe I will just wait for the iPad 3... GAH! I wish money wasn't an objective :eek:

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Now you tempted me to sell mine and get the iPad 2 instead. Or maybe I will just wait for the iPad 3... GAH! I wish money wasn't an objective :eek:

To be honest, with a little over £270 profit, you decide for yourself. That fee stung me - literally. If you have friends or someone in the family who isn't tech-savvy, just give the screen a good wipe and price it near the £300 range. If anything, you have proof on eBay to show that's the current market price.

Word of advice though: use the fee calculator if you're going for eBay, it gives you a very accurate sum of the profit/loss before you decide to sell.

I'm now in the queue for a 32GB or 64GB iPad 2 (can't make up my mind) but luckily have a friend who works at Apple that can help me out. They get a generous 17% discount on any select product, so that would be:

£331 = 16Gb iPad 2
£398 = 32Gb iPad 2
£465 = 64Gb iPad 2

and she confirmed these prices for me. As far as waiting for iPad 3, I'd say don't bother. It sure as hell won't be coming out this year and even when it does, it can't compete with iPad 2 on that many levels. It has the cameras, fast processor, iOS5 (soon), slim design. iPad 3 can only improve on these specs so it's not much of a threat feature-wise.

i copped an ipad 2 on release day - sold it very shortly afterwards
asw i didn't travel much then, nor had exams looming!

recently copped an ipad1 for GBP250 for 32gb wifi only - not bad

for me, im holding out for a retina display ipad with the A6- whether its the ipad 3 or 4... as this is absolutely fine for my needs atm

ps OP - -glad you got a descent price for it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.