Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sfpd_patch.jpg

CNET reports that the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD) has launch an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the search for a prototype iPhone that went missing from a San Francisco bar in late July.

The case resulted in a significant amount of publicity after the SFPD initially reported that it had no record of any investigation into the disappearance or participation in a search of a house identified as where the lost iPhone had been tracked to. That claim led to suggestions that Apple's own security personnel may have posed as police officers, but the SFPD later acknowledged that it did participate in the search, accompanying Apple security officers to the house but not actively searching the premise themselves.
Police here have begun looking into what role officers played in a search by Apple for a missing unreleased iPhone.

Lt. Troy Dangerfield, of the San Francisco Police Department, told CNET today that an internal investigation has begun into determining how officers assisted two Apple security employees in their July search of a home in the Bernal Heights neighborhood for the handset.
The investigation is official confirmation that the SFPD is interested in learning the full story behind the search and whether there was any improper activity by either police officers or Apple's security team. The subject of the search has indicated that he was led to believe that all of those involved in the search were police officers, and would not have consented to the search had he known that the investigators conducting the search were private security personnel. The subject has also alleged that officers attempted to intimidate him by questioning the immigration status of those living in the house, threatening "trouble" despite his claims that all members of the household are in the United States legally.

Article Link: San Francisco Police Launch Investigation into Missing iPhone 5 Search

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Well, this just gets better and better.

Kind of ridiculous, possibly criminal (on the part of "police"), and with a potential dose of Rights violations.

And the "I'M A BIG DUMB ASS" Award to the idiot who lost the alleged phone. :rolleyes:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wait, I thought the haters were just blowing this out of proportion? I think I need an Apple apologist (ie LTD) to explain this latest development to me.

R2D2 xx

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

apple is looking really dirty. if this is so top secret, why let it out of their own campus?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wait, I thought the haters were just blowing this out of proportion? I think I need an Apple apologist (ie LTD) to explain this latest development to me.

There's nothing to explain. Nothing happened yet.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

*LTD* said:
kas23 said:

This whole situation has been shady from the beginning and you know it. But, bring the largest company in the world, someone from the SFPD will be fired and the guy who had his house searched will get a nice check to keep quiet. Apple likely has a department devoted to damage control.

And there's plenty to explain. Why was an Apple employee posing as a police officer, the same person who erased his LinkedIn account right after the incident. Try explaining this occurrence first.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

maril1111 said:

Exactly so I don't get what the hype is about, if apple would have been smart they would have done this a lot more undercover...

How else would they have done this "undercover"? Isn't an Apple employee not identifying himself as such undercover enough?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

This whole situation has been shady from the beginning and you know it. But, bring the largest company in the world, someone from the SFPD will be fired and the guy who had his house searched will get a nice check to keep quiet..

What, Walmart are in on this too? It just gets dirtier...

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002

And there's plenty to explain. Why was an Apple employee posing as a police officer, the same person who erased his LinkedIn account right after the incident. Try explaining this occurrence first.

He could have stood back while the officers called to the scene identified themselves, then the officers motioned him to conduct the search.

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Quite a serious breach of ethics and abuse of power.
Such threats to question someone's status, are in themselves illegal.
The only agency with the jurisdiction to make those investigations is the US border patrol, and they only have jurisdiction within about a hundred miles of any legal border crossing.
If true, it's just more reason the officers involved should be fired and barred from any work in which they're put in a position of power.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010

Yep, we've found our Apple apologist.

This is what happened: Apple sent a couple of goons to illegally search an innocent man's house, using the local police to illegally facilitate the illegal search and intimidate the man.

I can predict your response: "I'd be proud to have my house illegally searched by Apple". lol

----------

Quite a serious breach of ethics and abuse of power.
Such threats to question someone's status, are in themselves illegal.
The only agency with the jurisdiction to make those investigations is the US border patrol, and they only have jurisdiction within about a hundred miles of any legal border crossing.
If true, it's just more reason the officers involved should be fired and barred from any work in which they're put in a position of power.

You're right, but the Immigration Customs and Enforcement officers have the power. My first question after such a threat would be "Are you from the ICE?" and if they said "no", my next statement would be "Get the #$%& off my property".

If they said yes I would have asked for a warrant.

Of course easy for me to say now, much harder when 6 officers have shown up at your door.

doubletap

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
Ashburn, VA
You're right, but the Immigration Customs and Enforcement officers have the power. My first question after such a threat would be "Are you from the ICE?" and if they said "no", my next statement would be "Get the #$%& off my property".

Of course easy for me to say now, much harder when 6 officers have shown up at your door.

I think you meant: 4 police officers and 2 people impersonating police officers. :D

dt

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
FACT:
The guy was at the bar the phone was "lost" (aka stolen).
The phone was traced to the guy's house.
The guy agreed to be searched.

Possibility:
Ie he stole it, he probably already got rid of it, after searching "how to sell iPhone prototype" and came upon the iPhone 4 prototype news.
Being a greedy bastard, he's now trying to get some money for it.

Celtic-moniker

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Melbourne Australia
There's three things i find interesting about what all you guys are writing.

Firstly, most of what I'm seeing here is utter rubbish. 'Apple employee posed as police'. What the? Talk about jumping to conclusions, and then pretending that they are facts.

Secondly. Where the hell is the phone? It's been a week... Do you honestly mean to tell me that all these PC magazines have been calling this guy, and the only thing he's had to say about the device, is to make some offhand remarks about the search of his house? Oh. Come. On! They guy has seen an iPhone prototype! Or, at the very least, an existing device that has prototype unreleased applications on it. So, why have we heard absolutely nil detail. And why isn't everyone surprised at this?

Third, there's a lot of people that seem determined to jump in and just call apple 'the bad guy'. I'm wondering if you have evidence of the entire company coercing or putting pressure on the SFPD to act 'legally illegally'. (sorry guys, the dude volunteered a search of his house, it's still legal). About the worst that could be said about this, is that no one told the guy that they were Apple employees. Yep. Lets hold Apple responsible for the police not upholding the law to all of your standards.

whatupwithapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2011
Yeah? There's other possibilities too

1) Apple employees are not necessarily saints

2) Mac users religious defend Apple from any and all slights, perceived or real bordering on the Branch Davidian mindset. Seriously, it's just a company. They don't love you, they just want your money like any other company.

3)Private investigators, especially ones with police ties, might well use shady tactics if they're told something like, "get that phone back no matter what".

4)SFPD is currently being investigated by the FBI (which already has its hands full chasing terrorists, mobsters, etc.) for various questionable practices and investigation methods, and may well have been out of line.

Dracula77

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
There's three things i find interesting about what all you guys are writing.

Firstly, most of what I'm seeing here is utter rubbish. 'Apple employee posed as police'. What the? Talk about jumping to conclusions, and then pretending that they are facts.

Secondly. Where the hell is the phone? It's been a week... Do you honestly mean to tell me that all these PC magazines have been calling this guy, and the only thing he's had to say about the device, is to make some offhand remarks about the search of his house? Oh. Come. On! They guy has seen an iPhone prototype! Or, at the very least, an existing device that has prototype unreleased applications on it. So, why have we heard absolutely nil detail. And why isn't everyone surprised at this?

Third, there's a lot of people that seem determined to jump in and just call apple 'the bad guy'. I'm wondering if you have evidence of the entire company coercing or putting pressure on the SFPD to act 'legally illegally'. (sorry guys, the dude volunteered a search of his house, it's still legal). About the worst that could be said about this, is that no one told the guy that they were Apple employees. Yep. Lets hold Apple responsible for the police not upholding the law to all of your standards.

Ok dude, for SFPD to act so quickly on this is surprising for everyone. Everyone knows if we called in and said our phone was stolen and we know where it is... they would say, ok, that's great. Hold on and they'll get to us. Because it's apple and not the regular Joe is what makes whole thing fishy. These SFPD are whack. Where are they in the middle of night when we need them. Missing iPhone, com'on man. Tell apple you'll get to them in the morning like everyone else.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Yep, we've found our Apple apologist.

This is what happened: Apple sent a couple of goons to illegally search an innocent man's house, using the local police to illegally facilitate the illegal search and intimidate the man.

I can predict your response: "I'd be proud to have my house illegally searched by Apple". lol

----------

FACT:
The guy was at the bar the phone was "lost" (aka stolen).
The phone was traced to the guy's house.
The guy agreed to be searched.

Possibility:
Ie he stole it, he probably already got rid of it, after searching "how to sell iPhone prototype" and came upon the iPhone 4 prototype news.
Being a greedy bastard, he's now trying to get some money for it.

1) Apple employees are not necessarily saints

2) Mac users religious defend Apple from any and all slights, perceived or real bordering on the Branch Davidian mindset. Seriously, it's just a company. They don't love you, they just want your money like any other company.

3)Private investigators, especially ones with police ties, might well use shady tactics if they're told something like, "get that phone back no matter what".

4)SFPD is currently being investigated by the FBI (which already has its hands full chasing terrorists, mobsters, etc.) for various questionable practices and investigation methods, and may well have been out of line.

Where there's smoke there's fire. The phone was traced to his house. Either he or a friend had the phone there.

Had it been my phone, forget about the SFPD, I'd pay some boys from the 'hood to take him out to the mouth of San Francisco Bay in a boat and give him a swimming lesson 'till he spat out the goods.

“What about his rights”, you scream. He gave those up when he became involved in the phone in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.